Gransnet forums

News & politics

Public execution of a young woman in Afghanistan

(34 Posts)
gracesmum Sun 08-Jul-12 21:25:43

So a young woman accused of adultery has been publicly executed on the say so of her husband in Afghanistan.
Would someone care to remind me why our servicemen and women are risking their lives there?

Anagram Tue 10-Jul-12 19:34:38

It may be their aim, but does that mean we should just give in and start knitting burkas? confused

nanaej Tue 10-Jul-12 19:43:43

No it's not. There is an evangelical movement in Islam but it is not the mainstream as far as I am aware.

jeni Tue 10-Jul-12 19:47:28

There's an evangelical one in Christianity too. But we don't go round killing people.
What am I saying?
I'm not evangelical!
Chacon a son goute I say

If it hurts treat with allopurinol

nanaej Tue 10-Jul-12 19:51:10

Christians used to.. NB witches of Pendle etc
Catholic vs Protestants
Christian vs Jew
Crusaders etc etc

Not right whoever does it though confused

jeni Tue 10-Jul-12 19:52:37

Not nowadays surely? I can't personally remember Pendle! I must have been very young at the time!

nanaej Tue 10-Jul-12 19:58:14

haha jeni think that was a while back 1600s I believe. I know we on GN are the older members of society but not that oldgrin
But Northern Ireland is still bubbling!

jeni Tue 10-Jul-12 20:02:03

Sounds like quoted cauldron with witches! But seriously true!

pammygran Wed 11-Jul-12 15:00:24

Nan, I believe that Islam will take over the world with all my heart..I know that western society has many problems, & I know many people hate such things as Alchohol consumption to excess, sexualisation of our society, the way women dress etc..but what is the alternative?..please do not tell me that Sharia law is the answer, as women we would go back to the stone age as they will do again when we have to pull out of Afghanistan...The thing I hate most of all is hypocracy..I worked for 10yrs at a famous Health Farm, no names no pack drill!..Needless to say we had many Arab guests..I lost count of the times the porters told me that they nearly developed hernias carrying suitcases of illicit bottles of booze to these guests rooms..also a roaring trade was frequent in, lets say "ladies of the night" from London..gross hypocracy!! As I say we should be worried.