Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is it with Michael Gove?

(15 Posts)
JessM Thu 19-Jul-12 17:47:53

Yes, it is Mr Trigg. As I know only too well.

Mamie Thu 19-Jul-12 17:35:13

"In 2011 57% of 16-year-olds in Newham's state schools achieved five GCSE passes including English and maths, just below the national average of 58.9% – a remarkable achievement in the second most deprived borough in the country."

JessM Thu 19-Jul-12 16:51:50

Yes the good old days weren't that great really were they. My grammar school had no money for books and was housed in decaying wooden sheds.
Exams were passed because intake was highly selective and staffing stable.
(eg we had the same French teacher for 5 years)
Newnham - good lord - 180 in each year group!!!!! My school can't manage that and we have been there 42 years and have a Good in Ofsted. (just in case any of you didn't know)
It will be really bad for parents who thought their kids were going there in september and now will have to take what is on offer - which may not be much.
Quite a few "free schools" are ex private day schools.

Greatnan Thu 19-Jul-12 16:36:59

It was an item on Breakfast on BBC1 this morning - their approval rating has gone up.

Anagram Thu 19-Jul-12 16:15:10

The LibDems are getting more support? Go it alone?
Sorry, I haven't seen anything in the media which suggests that is possible - quite the opposite, in fact.

Greatnan Thu 19-Jul-12 16:10:07

When I look back at my own dismal primary school and compare it with most primary schools today, I see an almost unbelievable improvement.
My convent grammar school was a bit better (no torture, or corporal punishment as it was called) but no after school activities at all. According to the Head, Mother Anna, we should go home, have a meal, help our mother with the chores, do our homework, say our prayers and go to bed!

I was euphoric in 1997 and it was some time before the penny dropped about Tony Blair and 'New' Labour. I have been totally disillusioned ever since. But, who knows - the LibDems are getting more support, apparently, and perhaps they could go it alone next time - possibly with a new leader? Poor Clegg may be fatally wounded now in the eyes of the public.
The revelations about the unholy alliances between MP's, the press, the banks, big business, etc may even prove to be a turning point in British politics. There are many very decent, honest and hardworking MPs but are there enough to turn the money-changers out of the temple?

Mamie Thu 19-Jul-12 15:22:41

Yes, Mishap, I do. There were some things I didn't like about Labour's education policy, but there were lots of good things as well and I was fortunate enough to see at first hand the huge improvements that took place in teaching and learning, especially in primary schools.
Michael Gove terrifies me.

Greatnan Thu 19-Jul-12 15:07:41

Yes, ever since 1997!

Mishap Thu 19-Jul-12 14:37:26

Despair, despair! Do you ever feel totally powerless?

Greatnan Thu 19-Jul-12 13:03:52

And he shared a holiday home belonging to a 'mutual friend' with one of the partners (it was a younger Dimbleby) of a company which he later commissioned to review school meals. He said he had never met Dimbleby before the holiday - wow, what a stroke of luck!

susiecb Thu 19-Jul-12 12:58:48

What is it with Michae Gove? He's a twit!

Mamie Thu 19-Jul-12 12:20:18

This article was in the Guardian - and you get to see that fab picture again..
www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jul/18/free-school-withdrawn-lack-parent-interest

Mamie Thu 19-Jul-12 12:16:07

I think the whole free schools "policy" looks as if it is falling apart. I see the "flagship" school in London won't be opening, because of lack of interest. The situation in Suffolk, where there are surplus places and free schools trying to set up with hardly any pupils is ridiculous.
The waste of public money is an absolute disgrace. angry

Ariadne Thu 19-Jul-12 11:50:40

Bangs head against wall!

absentgrana Thu 19-Jul-12 11:48:33

He has approved three free schools run by groups with creationist views, one of which had had its previous application refused because of concerns about its teaching creationism. All three acknowledge that to teach creationism as a science and as an alternative to evolution is a breach of government guidelines. However, there are ways round this, the most popular being what is called "teach the controversy". The fact that there is no scientific controversy over evolution doesn't stop this approach. The principal of one of the schools has said, "If children question for themselves their origins, that's what we want them to do– to ask sensible responsible questions. Am I here by accident, or – dare I use the word – design?"

I think we can see where this is going.