Gransnet forums

News & politics

Slurry tank deaths

(10 Posts)
gracesmum Sun 16-Sep-12 20:29:42

A tragic reminder of how dangerous farms are - not cute fluffy places with a few hens scratching round a farmyard like in the Ladybird book. What a dreadful thing to happen, my heart goes out to that family.

POGS Sun 16-Sep-12 20:17:49

They apparently died after trying to save the family dog according to the news I saw. How true that is I am unsure, just repeating what I heard. I agree with the point about fumes but once your in slurry it is like quick sand.

Not one of us knows what our reaction would be if our child or parent were going to loose their life how far we would go to try and save them.!

Beyond sad this one so many from one family, a tragedy for sure.

annodomini Sun 16-Sep-12 10:27:44

I heard on the news this morning that the father fell in and one son went to help, then the other did the same, followed by their sister who survived and is now in hospital. A terrible family tragedy.

Marelli Sun 16-Sep-12 10:12:03

There are ladders inside the tanks, for the purpose of cleaning. It's possible that they have not worn safety harnesses then slipped on the ladder and fallen.

Nelliemoser Sun 16-Sep-12 09:21:37

I think people get complacent about "hazards" that are on their doorsteps. and forget to deal with them as the dangerous things they are. Its part of human nature I'm afraid.

Greatnan Sun 16-Sep-12 09:07:15

If you google 'Britains most dangerous jobs' you will find that one in five industrial accidents occurs in the farming and fishing industries, even though less than one in a hundred people are employed by them.
Many involve under-age children using dangerous machinery.

Bags Sun 16-Sep-12 08:57:25

I understand about the fumes, but the news report says the people fell into the tank. If it had been properly fenced, they couldn't have fallen in, even if they fainted. There seem to be all kinds of ridiculous and unnecessary safety rules where they are not needed, but apparently none in this case where they clearly were needed: it should be illegal to have a slurry tank that can be fallen into. Perhaps it is.

Tragic and avoidable.

Nanadogsbody Sun 16-Sep-12 07:52:44

PS its the fumes that can cause dizziness.

Nanadogsbody Sun 16-Sep-12 07:47:26

It was their own slurry tank. A father and his two adult sons. My heart goes out to their family.

Bags Sun 16-Sep-12 07:20:12

Why do people fall into slurry tanks? Aren't these things supposed to be safely fenced so that such accidents don't happen, like ponds in gardens where children play?