Gransnet forums

News & politics

Custodial Sentences

(29 Posts)
Fondasharing Sun 18-Nov-12 14:25:44

I have recently left a message on the forum concerning "Five years ..too much..." which in summary, is about the recent case where a train worker has been imprisoned for five years, for sending a train on its way, when a young girl was leaning on the train at the time, and tragically fell to her death as a consequence of the train departing.

There have, as usual, been some intelligent debate as to the sentence - should the train official have been given a custodial sentence or not?. This has raised many questions in my mind, based on a recent experience, as to whether a custodial sentence is the right way to go for some people deemed guilty of due diligence and care.

We have a friend who was recently sent to prison for 2.5 years for an offence which took place 30 years ago. I cannot give the details, for obvious reasons, but there is much doubt as to whether a custodial sentence was the correct punishment. He has lost his career, his family are in daily torment, and he is imprisoned with offenders who have commited far more dangerous crimes than he. We write to him every week and will visit him soon but what good will this sentence do? The person who reported him for the supposed offence (30 years on ) has her revenge.......and he will be punished for every more, along with his family.....

There must be a better way to help people who have offended to repay the person they "offended".

When my Auntie who lived in Brixton all her life, was mugged and robbed in her own home, she was asked by the local authority, to take part in an experiment (this was 15 years or so ago.) She was asked if she would meet the offenders and then allow them to help her recuperate and to repair the damage they had done instead of being given a custodial sentence. She agreed to the "experiment" (which, of course, was under strict supervision) and the boys (only 16 or 17 years old at the time) had to visit her in hospital, spend time every week doing jobs for her and help to repay the damage they had caused her. It worked.......My Auntie died some 5 years later and the boys were at her funeral, to pay respects and to tell anyone who would listen that the forgiveness had changed their lives.....and they had never re-offended.

Surely this must be the way to go for some offences.......what do you all think?

We cannot use prison to punish all offenders......community service often does not not seem appropriate... it has to be something that helps the offended to forgive and for the offenders to be forgiven and sent on a different path.

Grannyknot Sun 18-Nov-12 22:24:24

I wonder whether people are aware of the service by which you can send an email to a prisoner for 30p - less than the cost of a stamp and it is delivered within 24 hours. www.emailaprisoner.com/how_it_works.cfm?country=uk it is very efficient. The discussion about 'restorative justice' is reminiscent of the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission which was a wonderful initiative for dealing with the horrors and the hurts of the Apartheid era. Of course it has flaws as a model, and in the case of SA perhaps tried to do too much, but it provided the means in many cases for individuals and the country as a whole to shift and move on. flowers to all.

grannyactivist Sun 18-Nov-12 23:02:25

I absolutely support the notion of restorative justice, and having looked in some depth at the outcomes of the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission I do believe it offers hope to both victim and perpetrator. Often in our current system the 'victim' is overlooked and/or the 'punishment' doesn't fit the crime. I sometimes think our penal system is still stuck in the dark ages; in the main it doesn't work. Not every case may be suitable for this, but recidivism rates do show a consistent reduction where RJ has been implemented. Perhaps when has some experience of this?

absentgrana Mon 19-Nov-12 09:35:52

I think – and have thought for years – that our penal system needs a complete overhaul. There are far too many people in prison for piddly offences. It's not that they shouldn't have some kind of "punishment" but short prison sentences are expensive and don't work. There are also far too many people in prison who are unlikely to be repeat offenders and are not a danger to society. Much as I loathe him and his awful books, I would suggest that sending Jeffrey Archer to prison was just grandstanding. A massive fine and a community sentence would gave been a much better choice. Violent criminals do need to be taken off the streets but they also need rehabilitation. Restorative justice could be a useful part of a rehabilitation programme which, in many cases, would also need to include education. Unfortunately, many, if not all of our prisons are just overcrowded warehouses.