Gransnet forums

News & politics

Votes for prisoners

(69 Posts)
absentgrana Thu 22-Nov-12 11:49:25

The Government is going to have to tackle this one very soon. The EU judgement is that a blanket ban on allowing prisoners to vote is illegal but it is up to the governments of individual member states to decide which prisoners, if any, should be deprived of their vote.

David Cameron famously said that the thought of prisoners being given the vote made him"physically ill". I can't help thinking that this was something of an exaggeration. However, I can see that many people would balk at prisoners convicted of serious crimes such as murder being given the vote. However, I find the idea of allowing the vote to those serving short sentences for much more minor crimes, who probably shouldn't be in prison in the first place, perfectly acceptable.

What I don't find acceptable is the suggestion from the Tory right that the EU ruling should be ignored and the blanket ban continued. This will invite ever increasing fines – which would have to be paid from the revenues collected to run the country. MPs were no elected deliberately to act against the Human Rights Act or deliberately to waste taxpayers' money.

Finally, the argument that some other member states are not complying with this judgement is neither here nor there.

absentgrana Sun 25-Nov-12 19:48:05

Greatnan Everyone. smile

Bluebell Sorry. I knew it was something like contempt of court but couldn't put my finger on it. Yes, I appreciate that perjury is a very serious offence and there is something that sticks in the craw about the man now being allowed to sit in the House of Lords. But I was being slightly flippant about his wholly dreadful books.

Greatnan Sun 25-Nov-12 18:52:25

Is anyone upwards of the Queen?

bluebell Sun 25-Nov-12 18:51:31

I don't mean just for prisoners - start with the Queen and work upwards!

bluebell Sun 25-Nov-12 18:50:24

Personally I'd take away all titles - utter tosh!!

Greatnan Sun 25-Nov-12 18:48:20

I looked up Lord Kagan for another thread and found that his knighthood could be taken away but not his peerage. Something wrong there.

bluebell Sun 25-Nov-12 18:46:24

Archer - not contempt of court but perjury - in my book that's incredibly serious - you lie on oath and the can legislate on your release!!And look what Bkack was guilty of..

annodomini Sun 25-Nov-12 18:05:08

Was tempted to suggest beheading could be brought back for peers who commit offences. Think of the money from the TV rights. grin

jeni Sun 25-Nov-12 17:32:34

I think they've now said inany future cases where peers are jailed they can no longer sit in the house.

absentgrana Sun 25-Nov-12 17:16:47

I don't think a mechanism exists for removing a peerage. Contempt of court was a bad thing to do but nothing like so bad as his offences against English Literature.

Ian42 Sun 25-Nov-12 17:14:01

Unfortunately Lord Archer was never punished properly, he should had his peerage taken away.

glitabo Sun 25-Nov-12 17:13:47

The education system within prisons is far from perfect, but many do provide citizenship and social studies courses as well as basics such as literacy and numeracy.

LucyO Sun 25-Nov-12 16:01:25

Wouldn't this be an ideal opportunity to teach people about democracy, how our laws are made, the difference between the legislature and the judiciary, etc. etc., which many prisoners won't have much idea about? After lessons and discussion they could then be allowed to vote, although I don't think long-term prisoners who will be there for the rest of their lives should have this privilege.

johanna Sun 25-Nov-12 15:18:33

jeni grin grin

Greatnan Sun 25-Nov-12 15:18:26

Archer obviously suffered from low self esteem, as he felt the need to exaggerate all his achievements and lie about his past. I don't like him and I think he is a rotten novelist, but that does not mean we should not look behind his personality to try to understand how he became greedy and a liar.
I don't think we can take one famous person as a template for all prisoners - we don't know what drives everyone to crime, but I think glitabo's post is both compassionate and reasonable. I hope people will read what she/he has said and not just dismiss it out of hand.

jeni Sun 25-Nov-12 15:06:30

Which of those groups would you have put lord archer into?

glitabo Sun 25-Nov-12 14:42:52

Ian42 That is a very trite comment that is easy to say but shows very little understanding of what leads people to offending behaviour. Sometimes it is poverty and deprivation, sometimes it is trauma and stress, other times it may be greed or need, low self esteem or mental health issues.

For example there are many adults in prison because they are undiagnosed dyslexics and they failed miserably at school and became disaffected and truanted from school and fell into antisocial behaviour and criminality through frustration and the inability to cope.

Far too many people in prison were in care when they were children.

There are many issues that we should address as a society and many conditions and circumstances that could be changed if we worked together and took some responsibility for the care of the most vulnerable members of our society.

Of course prisoners should have the vote if for no other reason that they know how society fails.

Greatnan Sun 25-Nov-12 13:55:30

Thanks for the pithy comment!

Ian42 Sun 25-Nov-12 13:48:17

What about the prisoner's victims they have lost something regardless. If you don't want to do time don't do a crime.

Greatnan Sun 25-Nov-12 12:39:06

Try to rehabilitate them by treating them with respect? Stop regarding anyone who goes wrong as less than human? Imprison less non-violent offenders? Use some compassion? Just a few suggestions.

blueyes37 Sun 25-Nov-12 12:26:43

No definitely how can be any other answer for people who do not abide by the law

absentgrana Sat 24-Nov-12 11:36:11

That was slightly different Greatnan. Lord Blair of al Basrah just kept sending him back until he got his advice right.

Greatnan Sat 24-Nov-12 10:24:20

There is some history of politicians ignoring their legal advisors - remember the little matter of Blair and the threat posed by Iraq?

absentgrana Sat 24-Nov-12 09:56:41

I find it worrying that Chris Grayling, Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice, who is responsible for sorting this out, has no legal training and is clearly positioning himself politically. He seems to be totally ignoring advice from the Attorney General, which I should have thought unwise given his ignorance of matters legal. I don't know much about Dominic Grieve but he is a QC and, presumably, has a more informed opinion than a layman.

glitabo Sat 24-Nov-12 09:33:57

bluebell I am arguing that ALL prisoners should have the vote.

absentgrana Sat 24-Nov-12 09:31:32

I feel very uncomfortable about politicians deciding that the hard-won right of universal franchise is a privilege that they can bestow or withhold.