Gransnet forums

News & politics

Urban foxes

(173 Posts)
j08 Sun 10-Feb-13 10:02:40

When are the authorities going to get sensible and start culling them? How many babies are going to have to be attacked in their homes before they realise just how out of control these things are getting? angry

j08 Fri 15-Feb-13 17:42:14

No. Let's keep them under control. And prosecute the owners when they fail to do so.

j08 Fri 15-Feb-13 17:43:53

When I said "our babies", I meant society's in general.

I haven't any at the moment. smile

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 18:13:04

Shooting a fox needs a very good marksman - they are made up of more fur than fox. That's why if they do need to be controlled it tends to be with gas or poison. Makes hunting seem almost humane!

(Best way is to stop feeding the little b****rs)

j08 Fri 15-Feb-13 18:16:45

They would have to be trapped first. Then taken away and dealt with. Like farmers do rabbits. (Humane cage traps)

absent Fri 15-Feb-13 18:43:11

Nobody in their right mind is going to shoot urban foxes. If they do decide to cull them, then they will be trapped and disposed of elsewhere. You can't shoot foxes with a pop gun; it requires a proper rifle. You don't use that in an urban area.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 19:02:31

Hopefully the cat owners will be understanding when their beloved moggy ends up in a trap.

Tegan Fri 15-Feb-13 19:03:06

I was told that foxes are allergic to the lead in bullets [as if being shot isn't bad enough] and, if they are shot but not killed they die a very long and painful death. But that's beside the point because no one is going to go round shooting them in built up areas anyway.

absent Fri 15-Feb-13 19:06:05

Nfk Beloved moggy can just be released from a humane trap. Pas de problem.

merlotgran Fri 15-Feb-13 19:43:33

Just so long as they don't release them in the countryside. Urban foxes do not know how to hunt for their food. They've always had it on a plate, so to speak.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 19:48:51

I think my cat owning friends would be a tad displeased if they found their BM had spent up to 24 hours in a trap. However humane.

celebgran Fri 15-Feb-13 19:50:41

Is very sad this fox attacking baby not first time sadly

I read that they're attracted by used nappies the smell of milk as they find it good protein ugh!

j08 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:53:31

Oh dear Nfk. And the mother of the baby was over the moon no doubt. hmm

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 20:06:51

Just saying there's no easy way to get rid of surplus foxes.

They weren't a problem to start with before their population became too dense. Unless the reason for their high numbers is found, killing them will only result in more young surviving to take their place.

Sealed dustbins instead of bin bags, improved litter bins, discouraging people from feeding them and, most difficult, educating people to not drop food litter would have more effect. And keep the rat and pigeon population under control too.

granjura Fri 15-Feb-13 20:16:04

Exactement.

goldengirl Fri 15-Feb-13 20:23:35

I must admit I've not trawled through all of this thread so apologies now if I'm repeating someone else's thoughts.
One of the reasons there are so many foxes now in my view is that their original habitat has been carved up for housing and so the foxes have adapted as a consequence. The bonus for them are the bin bags containing lots of lovely goodies for which they don't have to work hard to find. I believe it's a similar situation with badgers.
Wildlife has to go somewhere once Man starts to intrude. Isn't it Man who is the bad guy? Why is the first reaction always to 'kill' - 'culling' of course doesn't sound so bad. I really get fed up with this knee jerk reaction.
I was brought up in the country with foxes and now live in an urban area with foxes and we just take that extra bit of care.

gracesmum Fri 15-Feb-13 20:32:06

Now absent and others, you say you can't use a rifle in an urban area?

Let's approach this scientifically.
1) We have a gun problem in our inner cities
2) We have an urban fox problem
3) Do you see where this is going........?
You could offer a bounty for each fox killed, thus supplementing the dear little hoodies' benefit money (oh now I am going to alienate anybody who was still reading after the second line!)
OK maybe not. Bring back fox hunting as first suggested, The Heythrop and Hackney, the Pytchley and Pimlico, the Belvoir and Battersea ...........grin

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 20:35:51

grin - And real horses or hobby horses?

gracesmum Fri 15-Feb-13 20:39:46

You could use motor bikes? Or given the number of cyclists whizzing around the streets, just bikes, perhaps. (Boris Bikes?)

granjura Fri 15-Feb-13 20:39:47

Gracemum - I've seen the havoc the Hunt can create when they enter rural villages - I can just imagine what would happen in suburbia, let alone inner cities shock!! Think about it LOL. Neither of the hunts mentioned are near inner cities, although the Quorn is pretty close to Leicester.

j08 Fri 15-Feb-13 20:40:48

a previous incident (before the twins)

j08 Fri 15-Feb-13 20:41:20

Nobody is going to hunt in a city. hmm

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 21:01:30

Back to seriousness.

Nobody in their right mind would say " oh, we've got a family of the cutest little rats in our garden we leave food out for them every night". But foxes and badgers, because they don't have naked tails are considered cute and have been encouraged so of course they're not afraid of people. Why should they be.

Country foxes, even where they're not hunted, know better than to come near people. I live in a small country town. There's rarely food litter laying around and we have wheelie bins and litter bins with narrow slit tops - the occassional young fox may sneak through, but rarely. They could come, there's plenty of cover, but no reason for them to do so.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Feb-13 21:09:40

Re-phrase - country foxes do come near habitation when humans aren't around if there's reason. Such as poultry or rabbits. A naive parent built a wonderful guinea pig enclosure with a one foot wooden plank fence. Kept the guinea pigs in ok - but not the fox out. Silly arse!

Lilygran Fri 15-Feb-13 23:04:06

gracesmum I do like the names of those hunts! I don't know if the urban hunt would cause more problems than cars, vans, motorbikes, buses, lorries...........

susieb755 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:37:31

Nfk Dumpling - thats because rats carry weils disease, and have no bladder so wee constantly on evreything - foxes very rarely would enter a house, unlike rats - thats why its news, and no one bothers reporting on the rats......