Gransnet forums

News & politics

Philpott Sentence

(113 Posts)
sunseeker Thu 04-Apr-13 11:55:57

Michael Philpott has been sentenced to life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 15 years (so just over 2 years for each child!). His wife has been sentenced to 17 years to serve a minimum of half that term.

petallus Thu 04-Apr-13 20:57:31

johanna I suppose that's a Christian perspective!

Ana Thu 04-Apr-13 21:02:52

granjura, I totally agree with what you say.

Mishap Thu 04-Apr-13 21:07:22

I think this man is not capable of "shame and guilt" - sadly there are such people. The priority is not vitriol or punishment even - but just to get him out of circulation, as he is not in control of his actions. This is why I think life should mean life in this instance. The taking of an action that put his own children at such serious risk is not the behaviour of a man who is safe to be in circulation.

MiceElf Thu 04-Apr-13 21:08:30

Petallus. No.

Jesus said:

It has been said to you of old an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, but I say to you if any man strike you, turn the other cheek, and if any man ask for your coat give him your cloak also.

MiceElf Thu 04-Apr-13 21:11:29

Luke 6:29

BAnanas Thu 04-Apr-13 21:18:35

Granjura - I agree too.

Deedaa Thu 04-Apr-13 21:40:05

From what I have seen of the father over the last couple of days I doubt whether he will be particularly remorseful. I think he will still believe it's everyone else's fault. If the girlfriend hadn't left he wouldn't have had to do it. If everyone had done what he wanted it would never have happened.
Away from him I think the mother will be devastated by what's happened. I can't imagine how she will survive prison or rebuild her life afterwards. I don't envy the people who have to look after them in prison, they will have to be watched constantly and will be a prime target for years.

bluebell Thu 04-Apr-13 21:58:41

Too right! Shipman, Sutcliffe, Brady ... all living on benefits with dozens of children ... Oh wait a minute....

Ana Thu 04-Apr-13 22:00:49

Oh, for goodness sake......hmm

bluebell Thu 04-Apr-13 22:02:30

Exactly Ana! Knitting needles anyone?

Ana Thu 04-Apr-13 22:06:58

No, I wasn't agreeing with you, bluebell.... as of course you know!

j08 Thu 04-Apr-13 22:14:12

"But whoever shall offend one of these little ones who believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

King James bible Mathew 18.6

Eloethan Thu 04-Apr-13 22:25:53

j08 I'm not religious - did Jesus say that?

Galen Thu 04-Apr-13 22:29:30

Yes. Of so the bible says.

j08 Thu 04-Apr-13 22:34:33

Yes. When they let the children to the front of the crowd to see him. He blessed them and said this.

j08 Thu 04-Apr-13 22:35:25

Jesus said the one thing no one could have forgiveness for is harming a child.

Orca Thu 04-Apr-13 22:57:29

Given this man's attitude to women I am delighted it was a woman judge who handed down his sentence.

glammanana Thu 04-Apr-13 23:17:14

Having read everything about this so called "man" and listerned to-day at the sentence for his and his partners crimes against these helpless children I cannot understand why even after reading all the previous posts that they where convicted of manslaughter and not premeditated murder.
The petrol was deliberatley placed to cause damage and harm and it was obviously discussed by the defendants prior to it being set alight.So in my book that is premeditated murder and no one will convince me of anything differant.

eds Thu 04-Apr-13 23:42:44

I think philpott is a lot of things, stupid, anti women, violent, self centered, controlling, greedy but ... I don't see him as evil. except for stabbing a previous partner, that was evil.

He planned something stupid to get himself another house, planned to make himself a hero, and like many arsonists things went out of his control.

His reaction to this is beyond my comprehension, you'd have thought he would die in the attempt to save his children having put them in such peril, so he's cowardly as well.

His wife was easily contolled by him but you'd think even she would baulk at setting fire to the house with the kids in it. But controlling partners are all too common.

He deserves his punishment, but I don't see violence is the answer.

Also I thing the welfare question is fair given his brazeness in wanting the state to support his tribe.

absent Fri 05-Apr-13 07:12:34

Baying for Philpott's blood – here and elsewhere – was sadly predictable. We've seen the crowds that hang around outside courts and we've read all this stuff about letting other prisoners loose to deliver rough justice on another thread on this very site not so long ago – to our lasting shame.

petallus Fri 05-Apr-13 08:39:26

Completely agree with absent.

sunflowersuffolk Fri 05-Apr-13 08:51:40

I just hope he can't benefit from selling his story, or any book deals, as he certainly would if he could. He would love the continued attention. Is that possible when in prison?

glammanana Fri 05-Apr-13 09:05:21

sunflower Is there not a law now that states that you cannot gain financially from a criminal act ?

Greatnan Fri 05-Apr-13 09:11:51

Yes, but unfortunately relatives cannot be kept from profiting. It would have to be ghost written, of course.

sunflowersuffolk Fri 05-Apr-13 09:12:14

I hope so glamm, I wasn't sure. If there isn't there should be.