Gransnet forums

News & politics

The land of the free....

(65 Posts)
Greatnan Tue 23-Apr-13 08:11:23

unless you are a woman.... or black....or an atheist.
You couldn't pay me to go to this undemocratic country, which executes more of its own citizens than nearly every other country in the world.

www.huffingtonpost.ca/clay-nikiforuk/sexism-at-us-border_b_3112638.html

Greatnan Wed 24-Apr-13 18:25:48

Merlot, what on earth is wrong with carrying condoms in your luggage? It only says to me that she wanted to be prepared for safe sex, but I had gathered she was a lesbian, so perhaps she was carrying them for somebody else. Whatever her reason for carrying them, they are surely not forbidden in the US?
Are border controls now to be sexual police , reminiscent of Iran?

Ana Wed 24-Apr-13 18:27:09

Stansgran grin

merlotgran Wed 24-Apr-13 18:36:10

Nothing wrong, Greatnan but it certainly has me scratching my head. Was she preparing for safe sex on the plane?
If she's a lesbian was she hoping for confrontation so she'd have an article to write?

#it'sallbeyondme

Enviousamerican Wed 24-Apr-13 18:42:00

Just now getting back to this thread.I need to look at the information on link. I would like to say I am amazed at the news about us that we don't hear. Our news seem to be only what we need to know.I have seen this by reading your papers. Its beyond me why we don't get those stories! wish I had an example off the top of my head.

LullyDully Wed 24-Apr-13 19:01:33

Have recently came back through Gatwick with the Gch. The customs man was very very thorough checking our passports and never a smile. like all jobs some smile and some don't.

I was shouted at by a very scary young man in Oslo when I tried to take a photo of the plane we were boarding with 3 year old Gd. Didn't think ,I was going to make her a power point of our journey to Norway.He must have suspected I was an international terrorist.

They just have to do their job which ever side of the ocean and stop people from sneaking in.

Enviousamerican Wed 24-Apr-13 19:07:00

I feel there was truth to that story.She had neg.info on her file put there most likely by the first guard who had no right being one.Leading to more undeserving abuse. I do hope she reported this so these people could be fired. no excuse for that behavior. It's giving to much power to a unqualified untrained person. I'm going to mention big stories to you that are in your papers and not ours. I find it interesting. I also feel you all get blasted with so much U.S. life,products,T.V. Whatever it is,it seems too much! It's a wonder you don't " hate" us.

Greatnan Wed 24-Apr-13 19:15:17

Far from it, envious - most Brits I know, and myself, have found the Americans I have met to be delightful people. When my brother was a merchant seaman he was astounded when they were in a US port and he got into casual conversation with a man in a bar and would be invited for dinner and to meet the family.
I do feel very strongly about the dangers from the fundamentalist Christians who are already managing to put back women's rights in several states, and also about the continuing racial prejudice which is reflected, as it is in England, in the comparative figures for stop and search, arrests, and sentencing.
Profiling about people the establishment sees as a threat is common to many countries. I had a friend who stayed some time at Greenham Common and several years later she was stopped for a minor motoring offence and the policeman told her he knew all about her 'communist' activities. I think we delude ourselves that we live in democracies.

absent Wed 24-Apr-13 19:21:46

I think we need to distinguish between immigration officers and customs officers on this thread. There is no reason why anyone entering the USA cannot include condoms in their baggage. The problem was with immigration who extrapolated from the condoms, deciding that the author of the article was a "working girl".

MiceElf Wed 24-Apr-13 19:22:04

That made me smile Greatnan. I stayed at Greenham at one point in my life and in 'conversation' with a policeman he said 'you ought to have more sense you know, getting involved with that lot won't do you any good'.

I was part of a delegation from Christian CND.

Greatnan Wed 24-Apr-13 19:25:39

You Christians, Micelf - blinking troublemakers, the lot of you. grin

MiceElf Wed 24-Apr-13 19:27:09

Greatnan smile

feetlebaum Wed 24-Apr-13 19:33:20

In a Denny's in Palo Alto the waitress asked me if I spoke English!

I said "Speak it, Madam? I AM it..." which at least got a laugh...

BAnanas Thu 25-Apr-13 12:27:36

Following on from your post feetlebaum, I know a couple of Australians who were travelling around America and were asked by an American (way out west) where they were from and they replied Australia, it was met with "gee your English is really good!"

feetlebaum Tue 30-Apr-13 14:46:12

In reply to "I just lurve your English accent" I enjoyed saying "WE have the language, YOU have the accent!"