Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trenton Oldfield, the boat race disruptor

(39 Posts)
Bags Mon 24-Jun-13 08:55:05

Trenton Oldfield has been told to leave Britain apparently. He says it is a 'political' decision.

Ans his swimming into the middle of the Boat Race wasn't political? Do as you would be done by, mate.

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 09:51:26

I can't believe that! Total over-reaction, or what?! He swam in front of some boats. No bomb involved. No violence. Ok, it was THE Boat Race, but come on................! shock hmm

additional info to *Bags' excellent link

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 09:53:17

the "no's" are winning here

#britainsgotsense

FlicketyB Mon 24-Jun-13 09:54:42

I just read the interview he gave to R5. He reminded me of the bod who insists on walking the country unclothed and ends up in and out of court and prison.

It always strikes me that people like this essentially think themselves to be much cleverer than they really are and are aggrieved that nobody else shares that opinion and when they do not get the career progression/jobs they are convinced they deserve, decide to join the awkward squad and be even more awkward than anybody else.

merlotgran Mon 24-Jun-13 09:57:24

The man's a prat but it's a bit hard on his wife.

nanaej Mon 24-Jun-13 10:21:03

I think that it is a harsh reaction. Many people protest and we have that right to do so. He was an idiot, imo, to do what he did but it was not an act of terrorism! However I do think governments and courts are making examples of people to discourage protests, which of course should be safe and not endanger life or damage private property... which I do not think he did. However it is obviously a legally OK decision.

As a lifelong protester I do worry that the right to protest is being undermined.

FlicketyB Mon 24-Jun-13 10:23:43

I do not necessarily think his behaviour warrants either his imprisonment or his deportation but my opinion on him stands.

nanaej Mon 24-Jun-13 10:32:05

Flickety the harsh reaction I was referring to was the court, just in case you thought I meant yours!

henetha Mon 24-Jun-13 10:35:58

It seems like an over-reaction to me. But, we have long been wanting this country to get tougher, haven't we?

nanaej Mon 24-Jun-13 10:45:53

have we? Tougher on what..the democratic right to protest in public or on criminals?

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 10:47:29

criminalization of protest

Bags Mon 24-Jun-13 11:29:10

He did endanger life – his own. How would those rowers or the following boats have felt if they'd killed him. You really wouldn,t want to get your head tangled with those oars, not to mention with the motor boats behind. His choice, I suppose, but there are plenty of ways he could have made a protest without spoiling the event. The guys who row in this race train very hard and it's a complete toerag who then goes and wrecks it for them.

I think the court judgement is a bit 'steep' too. I wonder if the judge had a rowing blue?

I agree that he's a prat. I also agree that he has a perfect right to protest. I'm not sure I agree he has a right to spoil a much-loved national sporting event.

Bags Mon 24-Jun-13 11:36:31

I was going to "do a jingle" and not bother to look at other links, but I did.

That hand grip to haul him out of the water is not a good one. Better grab each other's wrists – more secure.

Now I'll go and look at the other link.

Bags Mon 24-Jun-13 11:42:41

I was wondering if Oldfield himself is one of the elite at all (not that I really know who or what counts as elite; after all, there are different kinds – intellectual elitism can be useful (no harm in recognising when someone is better at something than someone else and rewarding them according to how valuable what they are good at is to society), class elitism probably not.

This page about him made me laugh

annodomini Mon 24-Jun-13 11:44:11

An idiot, and we have plenty of home-grown ones. However, his wife is British and his child will be also. He has served his time and that should be the end of it.

soop Mon 24-Jun-13 11:53:06

Any flapjacks going begging, Bags? I think I've withdrawal symptoms coming on. grin

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 12:15:35

From what I' 've briefly (as always) read about him, he's a full-time protestor - writes and publishes books. Harmless enough.

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 12:18:24

Re the hand grip, perhaps they weren't feeling very enthusiastic. shock

Bags Mon 24-Jun-13 13:27:05

Just enjoys making a nuisance of himself, then. That figures. The idiot.

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 13:35:06

Yes. Doesn't seem to have much of a 'cause' in this instance.

But does it warrant shipping him out of the country?!

Bags Mon 24-Jun-13 13:48:32

Well, if he isn't British, I suppose it's not totally unreasonable to tell him to go and make a nuisance of himself in his own country instead. Why should we have to deal with him? We have enough nitwits of our own.

#devil's advocate view

Ella46 Mon 24-Jun-13 16:06:11

What a pity they don't send others who cause trouble/protest, back to their own countries as quickly.

Bags Mon 24-Jun-13 17:08:32

I guess we trust Australia not to abuse his human rights. That isn't the case with all countries.

Movedalot Mon 24-Jun-13 17:24:37

Ella I agree, I think there have been much worse people allowed to stay here. I agree he is a prat and that what he did was wrong but he didn't actually hurt anyone did he? Is there more to this than meets the eye?

Eloethan Mon 24-Jun-13 17:26:59

I think it's absolutely disgusting that this man is effectively being deported for his actions. No doubt some would view what he did as dangerous and irresponsible but it was an act of protest that, whilst inconvenient and annoying to participants and spectators, didn't endanger anybody but himself.

I view such a decision as vindictive, and suggestive of the sort of elitism that he was highlighting.