Gransnet forums

News & politics

Getting the younger generation to vote

(53 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 30-Jan-14 15:42:35

According to Bite the Ballot, in 2010 only 44% of 18- to 24-year-olds voted, while 76% of those aged 65+ cast their vote. We’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

Are the figures surprising? When did you first vote? Do you/would you encourage your grandchildren to register to vote? And, most crucially, how do you get them to take more of an interest?

BAnanas Thu 06-Mar-14 09:26:39

Some of the younger generation are not only unaware but completely uninterested in politics, what this percentage might be, I have no idea, but I don't think any political party should count on a younger demographic getting them in. It's our generation that turn out for elections. Personally I always did as soon as I became eligible to vote, my mother told me about the Pankhursts when I was quite young and I was also aware from quite a young age of how many people in the world are denied the vote. I talk to my younger son about politics from time to time and he tells me that he finds all the major parties equally unappealing and very unrepresentative.

gillybob Thu 06-Mar-14 09:44:00

...........and I have to say that your younger son is probably right BAnanas.

I do not think any of the parties represent me, my situation or my values.