Gransnet forums

News & politics

What Movember spend their money on

(17 Posts)
janeainsworth Fri 28-Mar-14 10:33:06

Jess I agree that there's now increasing concern about over-diagnosis and over-treatment as a result of screening, and questions being raised about allocation of resources.
The consesnsus seems to be that the way forward is increasing individuals' awareness of symptoms. The NHS seems to be doing that with a campaign to get people to see their doctor if they have a cough of more than 3 weeks' duration etc.

POGS Fri 28-Mar-14 09:42:56

Yes, it might help.

If it doesn't what harm has been done.

It doesn't neccessarily mean the organisations you would prefer to give your donation to would have lost money.

JessM Fri 28-Mar-14 06:28:38

Obviously very sorry for the young woman who started the charity. I developed breast cancer when relatively young. The first consultant who saw me shrugged it off on the basis of my age. So maybe awareness raising amongst doctors more important? (i was very lucky it was not aggressive!)
One of my questions is - if you raise awareness will it actually help? The past is littered with unsuccessful health education messages that have wasted a lot of money. This is partly why the government spend almost no money on this these days. It is entirely possible that raising anxiety about cancer could be counter-productive - people getting so anxious they are afraid to go to their doctors. I have heard of several examples of that over the years. Over screening and over diagnosis leading to unnecessary treatments etc. Reallocation of resources from high risk groups to low risk groups. etc
Will this big flashy bus encourage Welshmen to pop in and talk about cancer fears? Can't somehow see it myself - there's the bus, parked in the ASDA carpark and at the door a queue of men keen to get support and advice from a stranger?

POGS Thu 27-Mar-14 17:56:02

Totally agree Jane.

What one person might find a waste of a donation will not necessarily be the same as another. For example some people think giving money to an animal charity is a waste of a donation when human beings are suffering.

It's all a personal choice isn't it.

janeainsworth Thu 27-Mar-14 17:08:56

Jess I was reading about the coppafeel one yesterday - it was started by a young woman who was eventually diagnosed with breast cancer at 23, after being told repeatedly she was too young to have the disease.
She's now living with stage 4, so you can't blame her for wanting to raise awareness in both the medical profession and young women, really sad

JessM Thu 27-Mar-14 12:11:46

I do wonder if some people think they are giving to cancer (or other) research when they are actually giving to rather woolly awareness raising charities that have no clear idea about what their aims are or what is the best and most beneficial way to raise money. The coppafeel one for breast cancer is another one.
I think it is these awareness raisers that are a waste of a donation. The large cancer research charities certainly are not.

POGS Wed 26-Mar-14 13:59:06

I think it is a brilliant use of money.

I don't care how money is raised as long is it used properly. It's all a bit of fun and yes a bit cheesy, but good on those who participate, they are doing more than I am. I think the MP's who raise awareness in Parliament by entering into 'the spirit' of Movember are all doing a good job too.

I would rather see the money put into action, as it is with the Man Van, than read about the huge money some charities had in the bank and lost in the Icelandic banking issue. That makes me really cross.

Surely anything is better than nothing in this instance.

rosequartz Wed 26-Mar-14 09:44:03

smile in a nutshell mcem

Nelliemoser Wed 26-Mar-14 09:33:55

One of the big issues with cancer (and other conditions) in men is that they tend to "wimp" out of seeking help and seeing the doctor. Women are far more used to seeking out medical advice.

I don't know if this is more likely to be better or worse in different age groups or different socio-economic groups but it seems that men's health need more publicity to ensure any problems are caught earlier.

That TV program Embarrassing Bodies might be annoying but it might just reach that generation of younger men who do not like to imagine they might not be immortal.

merlotgran Wed 26-Mar-14 09:18:01

When I first saw the picture I thought it was a mobile screening unit like the ones for breast cancer. Then I thought, Oh, what a waste of money but quickly changed my mind.

My brother is about to undergo radiotherapy for prostate cancer and of course, we are all very worried about him but he has the support of all his family so he will be able to focus on his treatment and recuperation without any other worries.

It will be a great morale booster for men living in areas without good transport links and who need the company and mutual support of other sufferers.

Is there a bar?? grin

mcem Wed 26-Mar-14 09:15:10

The recent campaign around no-makeup 'selfies' did not achieve universal support but it did raise £8m in a few days! Yes there were reservations about the suggestion that it's brave to be seen with no make-up, that it was wrong to 'put pressure' on young girls, that the whole move was a concerted ploy rather than a spontaneous reaction. I can see the point of all of these arguments BUT if I were a cancer survivor or patient or researcher, I know I'd be thanking all those willing participants who raised such a huge sum and clearly enjoyed doing it! CRUK have been quick to express their gratitude and surprise.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Mar-14 09:05:24

What is wrong with the "ManVan"? Sounds good to me.

What would be the point in starting off with some beaten-up old wreck when the money is there to do it properly?

moomin Wed 26-Mar-14 08:53:44

Maybe quite a few men need to be made aware of male cancers? I don't suppose they will discuss it between themselves and perhaps some don't want to discuss it with their partners. I think if people give freely to a charity then that is up to them, those men growing facial hair for Movember have my support anyway

janeainsworth Wed 26-Mar-14 08:33:03

Well Jess of course research is the most important thing, but perhaps there hasn't been as much support in the past for men suffering with cancer as there has been for women, and they have perceived a need?

Soutra Wed 26-Mar-14 08:24:10

I am becoming more and more cynical about some of these so- called awareness raising gestures. I am fully aware of many of the issues/illnesses/conditions in question without wearing a rubber wristband or a specific colour! By all means show solidarity where appropriate ( a poppy in November) but so much is an empty gesture or even (whisper) perhaps a sort of lucky charm to ward of the "evil eye" of sickness or misfortune.

absent Wed 26-Mar-14 07:37:41

Apparently today is Epilepsy Day and people have been asked to wear purple to raise awareness of epilepsy. Now I don't dispute that epilepsy is serious and incurable condition that cannot always be controlled but what the hell has purple clothing got to do with it?

(Sorry Jess a tad irrelevant.)

JessM Wed 26-Mar-14 07:28:19

I am keen on people supporting cancer research charities (Cancer Research UK, Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research etc) . Money given to them funds the salaries and costs of employing people with Phd who can do significant research in centres of scientific excellence.
However there are a number of charities that raise money to "raise awareness" about cancer and other diseases . Movember is one - the men who grow moustaches in November. I would never give them any money. But I have often wondered what they do with the money raised. Here is one answer. It will cost a fair bit to keep this on the road with suitable staff.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26724938