Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gerry Adams

(30 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Thu 01-May-14 12:52:48

what do you make of this?

Is he going to get his comeuppance? But could it wreck the "peace" that now reigns in NI?

Worrying, I think.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 01-May-14 12:55:36

The son of the murdered woman said on the Today programme that he saw the murderers when they came for his mother, and knows who they are, and he is glad Adams has been arrested.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 01-May-14 14:21:18

Of course, it could be that Jerry Adams is guilty of the murder and he will be charged and sentences. And the whole shooting match of the Troubles will start over again.

But don't let that disturb the complacency of Gransnetters.

TriciaF Thu 01-May-14 14:22:14

I heard that interview too.
He said even though he knew who they were he would never report them - probably for fear of retribution to his own family.

merlotgran Thu 01-May-14 14:43:10

I think he's a liar and a hypocrite who has been responsible one way or another for untold misery to many. I'm glad my daughter and grandsons are now back in England and no longer living in a country that still has an undercurrent of hatred on both sides despite the peace process.

Elegran Thu 01-May-14 15:37:29

No complacency, jings. We all remember the troubles and friends and relatives were lost on both sides of the Irish Sea.

But if there is evidence that Gerry Adams was personally involved in this murder, than it does nothing for the rule of law in Ireland if it is swept under the carpet for the sake of a peace which would then be founded on a sand. That does not apply just to one side of the equation. If lives are lost in the heat of a fight, that is "war" (God help us) but a cold-blooded execution is murder, whoever was responsible.

inishowen Thu 01-May-14 17:10:37

He has spent his entire adult life denying he was in the IRA, what tosh! He has blood on his hands. Martin Mcguinness does too, but at least admits to his past. As someone who lives in Northern Ireland I know what I'm talking about.

Ana Thu 01-May-14 22:42:45

This is getting horrible - Newsnight. Something is very wrong here...

Iam64 Fri 02-May-14 09:01:31

Gransnet Complacency in the face of allegations that a man who now holds significant power gave the order for a mother of 10 to be dragged out of her home, murdered and "disappeared". I don't see any complacency in the response so far.

Gerry Adams had to be questioned about allegations he ordered the death of Jean McConville. There are people holding power (on both sides of the divide) who were involved in brutality, murder, crime etc in the name of freedom.

Would a process of truth and reconciliation enable folks to finally be honest about their part in the troubles. That would help me feel that the peace process was being built on firm foundations and was more likely to influence the next generation from continuing to perpetuate the brutality that has existed in Northern Ireland for much of our adult lives (and before of course)

bikergran Sat 03-May-14 19:03:39

I remembering watching the recent programme about this lady being taken from her home...they interviewed the young children at the time she went missing..it was on earlier in the year I think.

annodomini Sat 03-May-14 19:35:55

If he is charged the Republican side will go up in flames; if he isn't charged, the Unionist side will go up in flames. Either way, it's a monumental setback.

glassortwo Sat 03-May-14 19:38:48

I think so too anno

Iam64 Sun 04-May-14 09:00:05

It is a monumental setback - but what is the alternative?

Nelliemoser Sun 04-May-14 09:47:32

The republicans want it both ways, they demand investigations of the "crimes" of The British Army but not investigations of what their leaders got up to. It is a a worrying situation.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-May-14 10:00:15

Why have they chosen this particular crime to investigate now? There were so many atrocities committed on both sides. I wonder if it really is political re the elections.

Very worrying.

Elegran Sun 04-May-14 10:03:50

Gotta start somewhere. Blatant hypocracy is a good place.

Mishap Sun 04-May-14 10:54:54

"But don't let that disturb the complacency of Gransnetters." What a strange statement jingle. - before anyone has barely had a chance to even read let alone respond to your post.

As someone who nearly got bombed by the IRA whilst living in Birmingham (a shoe shop blew up moments after I walked out of it) I am not likely to be complacent! - and have no reason to think anyone else might be either. We can all remember what happened and dread its return.

POGS Sun 04-May-14 11:15:09

Jings

I could be wrong in what I am about to say about the 'timing' and 'which crime' they are investigating, so I put my hands up if somebody says I am incorrect.

I thought a lot of this was to do with interviews that were on record in America but could not be released until so many years had passed. The interviews were directly putting him in the frame.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-May-14 12:20:58

Oh right! I did n't know that. (Why do I always miss half of an item on Today hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-May-14 12:24:07

mishap the post was going rapidly down ActiveX. Whilst he Peaches Geldof one as thriving.

I think it would have been missed completely if I had not commented. And I wanted to talk about it! [spoilt brat emotion]

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-May-14 12:24:51

Post garbled by Fire

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-May-14 12:26:33

;8 o'clock tonight should be interesting.

Soutra Sun 04-May-14 13:30:25

"Complacent Gransnetters"? I too take exception to that. Is it complacent not to stand up for sex offenders or think the likes Jeremy Clarkson a harmless prat?

nigglynellie Sun 04-May-14 14:30:25

Of all the terrible things that happened during the troubles, I think the torture (Yes she was horribly) and murder of this widowed lady, mother of 10 fatherless children was perhaps the worse. The terrorising of one of her sons, a cap pistol let off next to his head among other horrors, was cruelty beyond belief. I understand that this investigation could jeopardise the peace process, and I sincerely hope this doesn't happen, but how can we, as a nation, be so on our high horses over CS (rightly so) and MC(equally rightly so) and yet be prepared to let this appalling murder drift into the long grass and be quietly forgotten - end justifying the means?. Surely in all humanity we owe to that lady, long dead and her children to bring to justice the person/people who instigated this dreadful crime perpetrated on a wholly innocent woman and her family.

Mishap Sun 04-May-14 17:54:30

"Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has been released from custody after being held over the 1972 murder of Jean McConville.

A file will be sent to the Public Prosecution Service, the BBC has learned."

Just got this offline - 16 minutes ago.