Gransnet forums

News & politics

Welcome to the politics 2014 discussion on gransnet: please add your thoughts

(72 Posts)
AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 24-Jul-14 10:21:09

Welcome to the project!

AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 28-Jul-14 12:26:10

Many thanks for agreeing to take part in this closed discussion thread. you're very welcome to name change to post on this thread: we'd advise it as at some point the groups will be linked to from MN/ GN.

~~~~

The aim of these discussions is to discover if, how and why women's voting intentions are shifting and what you think about each of the parties.

We'll ask a few questions, allow you to think them over, respond, engage in a bit of discussion with other participants, and then we will pop back on the thread. We might want to tease out the reasons behind particular views or opinions and then will crack on with the next set of questions later in the week and one more set over the weekend. Do feel free to re visit the thread at any point over the next week or so. We'll email you when we add a new set of questions.

Here are the questions to get you started

1. Thinking about when you decide which party to vote for, how important is the leader of the party in that decision? Is it more important than the policies of that party or your view of the party as a whole?

Why?

2. What do you look for in a party leader? What makes a good party leader and what makes a bad one? What makes a good prime minister and what makes a bad one? Please relate your answer to the four main party leaders (David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ed Miliband and Nigel Farage).

3. Thinking about the party you voted for at the 2010 General Election and the party you would vote for now, has it changed?

Why?
Why not?
Who would you switch to?
What would a party/ leader have to do to make you finally decide?

Feel free to include any thoughts you might have - they don't have to be the conventional, just true to how you feel!

thanks
MNHQ

GeminiJen Mon 28-Jul-14 13:41:35

1. For me, the leader is important, but not more important than the policies or my view of the party as a whole.
Why? I'm very wary of the cult of personality.

2. I look for a conviction politician, one with a strong moral core. Of the four main party leaders, I believe that only Milliband approximates to this ideal.
A good party leader is a good listener, one who takes on board the views of others and is responsive to those views, one who is a skilled mediator, negotiator and communicator. A bad one is the opposite. Again, only Milliband impresses me, in his attempts at least.
A good prime minister is one who commands respect both at home and on the world stage. Cameron has made mistakes. He comes over as a PR man, focussed on sound bites and point scoring, out of touch with the man or woman on the street.

3. I voted SNP.
How I vote in 2015 will depend on the results of the Referendum this September....and its aftermath.
If there's a Yes vote, I'll continue to support the SNP.
If it's a No vote, I'll decide on the basis of which party comes up with what's best for Scotland in terms of increased devolution.
I have voted Labour in the past, also Liberal, never Conservative. As for UKIP, the least said the better....!

Gagagran Mon 28-Jul-14 14:53:55

1. I think the leader is very important in these days of frequent exposure in the media. He/she needs to look the part. Someone to inspire confidence and to sound as if they know what they are talking about and have mastered the brief. It is as important, if not more so, as the policies of the party, which seem to change or be shelved frequently, anyway. I'm not sure people remember what policies were proposed at elections but they do remember how the leaders performed. You will hear people saying they voted for "x" or "y", being the name of the leader of the party but not for such and such policy. That may be different next year, with the option of a referendum on the EU being in the mix.

2.A good leader has the same characteristics as a good Prime Minister. They need to look smart, groomed, healthy, approachable and in touch with everyday life. (No Michael Foot donkey jackets for example). They have to be quick-thinking to avoid verbal traps laid for them by interviewers and they need to be energetic as well as photogenic. Plus I think they should be patriotic and not afraid to show that.

David Cameron looks the part of Prime Minister and sounds like one but Ed Miliband just doesn't. He is too geeky, his adenoidal delivery is off-putting and he looks foreign! Nick Clegg is not strong enough - he sounds and looks too weak. A bit like a school prefect or a church curate but not someone you could imagine leading in difficult circumstances.

Nigel Farage is the sort of bloke who would be great to be in the pub with or to invite to a dinner party and he does seem to listen to what people say. I'm not sure he fits the Prime Ministerial image though. I want a Prime Minister who is clear-sighted, strong, brave, honest and lucky. So far David Cameron is nearer the mark on those attributes than the other three, by a country mile.

3.I will probably end up voting for the same party again - Conservative because I think they have done a very good job on the economy and also have offered a referendum on the EU. I do not like the coalition and would prefer a Tory majority. I could not vote Labour after the terrible mess they made of it in the thirteen years up to the last election. I do not trust Ed Balls not to do the same thing again and I am unimpressed by Ed Miliband.

I have toyed with UKIP and voted for them in the European Parliamentary elections but only because I do not see the MEPs having any real power (that lies in Brussels) and also as a warning to the Government not to assume that I am happy with everything they do because I am not. However I do think the Conservatives usually make a better job of governing than Labour and I would like to see what they can do to fix the big areas of concern - NHS, Europe, terrorism and the economy. I think they are just better at it than any other political party.

dolphin Mon 28-Jul-14 16:05:24

The policies of the party I decide to vote for are most important, but, obviously, the leader has to promulgate those policies with conviction.
I don't support the cult of personality, but on the other hand, a leader has to have charisma and be personable. S/he has to be media savvy, articulate and pleasant - able to speak and listen to people from all parts of society. S/he has to have a strong moral and ethical code.
Of the present party leaders, only Cameron fits these criteria. Miliband is just too weird and comes over as an oddball. Clegg does not have real convictions - he has said that being in power is most important and to that end he will support either labour or conservative - how can one trust such a person. Farage would be good to have a drink with and I think he has played an important part in getting people to think, but I can only hope now that all those who voted for him will think again when it comes to the General Election and vote for a party and leader who will be able to lead the country.
I voted conservative in 2010 and am pretty certain that is how I will vote next year, but I will be following the campaign with interest and could be persuaded if there were strong enough reasons to vote differently - but they would have to be strong reasons.
I could not vote labour when they brought the country to the brink of economic ruin in their 13 years in power last time. And the lib-dems' policies seem ready to change with the tides! In theory I have some sympathy for some of the Green's policies - but a vote for them would be a wasted vote.
(I am hoping most sincerely that Scotland will vote on Sept 18th to stay part of the UK)

glammanana Mon 28-Jul-14 16:40:03

1)I feel I must have some degree of confidence in The Party Leader even if the other members have my support there must be a figurehead I have trust in,he/she must believe in their own convictions and not be swayed by trends that may be mistakes for future generations and try not to spin them out of the way if things do not turn out as first envisaged.The Party Leader must be confident within his/herself and personable to the eye remembering they are on view to The World as a Leader of one of The Worlds finest Countries.
2)The Leader must someone I can relate to not necessarily in terms of education and lifestyle but someone with thoughts for the Country in general from those who find difficulty coping with their lifestyle to older people who find themselves in difficulties through no fault of their own,someone who can command respect and get the job done,and I feel that only David Cameron has the edge at the moment the other three don't seem to be able give a straight answer sometimes.
Its a pity that we only have the choice of these three as there are other party members in other parties who would triumph if the chance was given to them Frank Field (Labour) for instance would do well in the Conservative Party with his thoughts on benefits etc.
3)I would not change my vote for Conservative at all in the next election as I think 4 years is not long enough to make an impact on the mistakes labour made in their 13 years of power.
Having never thought of voting for another party I have always been very fond of the decisions made by Thatcher and previous leaders she at least made decisions and stuck to them even though they where harsh at times and people disagreed with them she stuck to what she thought was right,we need someone with backbone like this and if it turns out to be from another political party then so be it,but they must get it right soon or I envisage some very tough years ahead for everyone.

NanaandGrampy Mon 28-Jul-14 17:14:06

1. Thinking about when you decide which party to vote for, how important is the leader of the party in that decision? Is it more important than the policies of that party or your view of the party as a whole?

Why?

The leader is quite important to me when choosing someone to vote for . I'm looking for a strong leader- I might not necessarily agree with all their choices but I want someone who believes in their policies and stands firm on them. I want someone who can speak to the masses and enthuse and engage.

I don't think the leader is more important than the policies but I think they play an important part . I still want to vote for someone I can empathise with , who offers me a trustworthy persona.

2. What do you look for in a party leader? What makes a good party leader and what makes a bad one? What makes a good prime minister and what makes a bad one? Please relate your answer to the four main party leaders (David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ed Miliband and Nigel Farage).

I look for someone with strength, the ability to engage me and who has creditable polices. When I looked at the 4 names I feel David Cameron is the closest to my ideal as a person and I have supported his hard stance in getting us out of the financial crisis. He has the 'common' touch and speaks well. I can say , I like him.

Nick Clegg is the invisible man.... I know he's part of the coalition but I would never vote liberal and so I don't see any credibility in him...he's far to far lenient in his views and when I look at his policies I see a disaster waiting to happen.

Ed Miliband... not for me . I don't care for him or his politics. I don't feel he has a creditable portfolio of policies and its a floundering party

Nigel Farage... A reasonable orator, some of his policies have merit and as more and more people become unhappy with the policies of immigrations and benefits - he stands to gain. If this was a race - he'd be the rank outsider who might just win it in the final moments !

3. Thinking about the party you voted for at the 2010 General Election and the party you would vote for now, has it changed?

Yes it has.

Why?

I am not happy with the current one size fits all policies . Im unhappy to be an outsider in my own country and I want to see some strength in government whereby all minorities do not get all their wants and wishes to the detriment of mine as a British subject.

Who would you switch to?

I'd go to UKIP for many years supporting the tory party.

I want the impossible - I want a Margaret Thatcher style of leader. Someone who uses sense to make policy . You cares for the UK as a whole and stops some of the current craziness which is pervading this country. I want to be abloe to call it Christmas not Happy Holidays so I don't offend anyone. Fly the Union Jack at my home for celebration and generally not be a second class citizen in my own country. So I'm looking for a leader who will put the UK first - less overseas aid , more worrying about the state of our own people at home first. I think I'm just asking the impossible.

Nanatofive Mon 28-Jul-14 18:19:57

The leader of the political party has to be believable, personable and able to speak to the electorate in a way that appears honest and achievable. The leader has to be able to display an in-depth knowledge of issues and not reduced to personal infighting. It's more important than the views of the party as a whole as the leader may have to make difficult decisions on his own.
2. What do you look for in a party leader. What makes a good leader or a bad one?
David Cameron. Seems a believable person who has managed to decide on and stick to difficult decisions. He gives the impression that he is speaking genuinely to the electorate. There has been little opposition to his leadership from conservative colleagues so he must be able to control the party.
Nick Clegg. I think he has had a difficult time and I don't believe he has made himself visible enough whilst deputy leader. He gives the impression not if listening to others but of bending which ever way the wind blows.
Ed Miliband. As he says himself he is a bit like Wallace of Wallace and Grommit. He gives the impression of being 'of the common man' when he clearly is not. His party has always run a negative response to everything rather than Ed Milliband presenting positive alternatives.
Nigel Farage. A very clever name who has made a positive of standing in a pub with a drink and a cigarette. He speaks to the electorate on issues he knows they want to hear about. He is not clear on other policies but people don't seem to mind.
3thinking about the party you voted for in 2010 and the party you would vote for. Has it changed.

Yes it has.
In the last election I voted Liberal, mainly because I live in a solid conservative area. A protest vote if you will
In the next election I will vote for UKIP. Another protest vote perhaps but politics needed to be shook out of its complacency.

A party leader needs to actually answer a question when asked not continually dodge the hard facts.

greatmum Mon 28-Jul-14 20:07:15

1; no,
why- this person must be able to show they can carry out party agendas and show their commitment to put uk first in all arenas; to be steadfast, truthful at all times--no waffling!

a; a good/great leader, has/needs, strength of character, amicable, honest, personable, attractive form and attire, preferably `no ticks' as in habitual movements of hands or body;

b; too much repetition or agitation, nor an over show of self love

c; David C, fairly good, not enough self belief, needs more stamina,

d; Cleg, walks in shadows

e; ED, over the top, pushy ! though he appears to listen to us, don't think he takes message in.

f; Nigel, not sure of his strength of purpose! to achieve his ideals.

3; yes

a; never wanted to join E.U. saw it as bad for us!

b; smacks of Germany coming in through back door - to control our lives and money . couldn't beat us in two wars

c; Nigel can he pull us out of E.U. follow Churchill's footsteps and lead us to a great future ? Thatcher nearly did ! she made us proud to be British!

Annaries Mon 28-Jul-14 21:05:27

1) Policies are much more important to me. I have no idea who the party leader is in some parties, so it would be impossible to vote for them if the leader was the most important. That would be grossly unfair to all except the main three parties. I am not bothered about what they look like, it's what they say that matters.
Thinking about how many lies both Cameron and Clegg have told to the electorate, and how many promises they have broken in the coalition, I feel sorry for anyone who puts his or her trust in them as party leaders.

2) Integrity is most important to me in any politician. I need to be able to trust any politician to stick to their policies, not to do a complete about turn within weeks of gaining power.

Cameron is not trustworthy. He said the NHS was safe, but has sold off lots of it and is determined to sell off the rest before he leaves power.
He is more concerned about his rich friends rather than the majority of the population. He is PR through and through.

Clegg is equally untrustworthy. I doubt if he will be party leader after the next election. He has told lies to all parts of the community. I would never be able to trust him in a coalition with any other party. He quite often appears to be bewildered himself.

Ed Miliband has a disadvantage with having the whole PR machine against him. I like the fact that he listens to people but he appears to be trying to be all things to all men and women, and has forgotten about the grass roots. He wants to be in power so much that he will agree to continue the coalition's promises, but there is no point in that. If we want the coaolition to continue, we will vote for them, not him. I would prefer him to be different. He also has a problem of following Blair and Brown, and trying to distance himself from them.

Nigel Farage is a one trick pony. He tore up his party's manifesto before the EU elections. How can you trust someone who does that? It was probably because he realised he could not stick to the manifesto, which I suppose is something in his favour.

The only one of the four I can trust is Miliband, but it does not mean I voted for him. He does say he will reverse the NHS decisions and save the railways for us.

3) It hasn't changed yet, but it could. It depends on how far Miliband would go to save the NHS and the railways, and to reject the coalition policies on making the poor the scapegoats for everything bad.

I would vote for any party which would promise to make the tax system fairer, sort out the banks, and make the rich pay their share of taxes. We would not be in the situation we are in if it wasn't for the coalition's idea of making the UK a tax haven. We would be able to pay for the NHS then.

Nanatofive Tue 29-Jul-14 08:32:18

I want a political party that will leave the NHS alone, that removes the layer upon layer of pen pushers I It and gives the money to caring. When I joined the NHS management overheads were 4% they are now 18%
I want a political party that actually means to have an honest referendum on the E.U not a fudge. Simple out or in question not one drafted in a way that no one understands the question.
I want a political party that severely cuts overseas aid to the bones.
I want a political party that reviews the human rights act and incorporates a human responsibility act!
I want a political party that is not afraid of the fat cats in the banks and insurance business or the stock exchange. That bonuses are capped and wrong doers jailed.
I want a political party that interacts honestly with its voters.

That will be the day!

temporarypol Tue 29-Jul-14 13:59:04

1)The leader is important, partly because if that party were to win the leader would be the PM and would need to be seen as having enough "gravitas" to be an effective player when looking at European and global issue. I think one would also need to feel that the leader had the solid backing of most of the party. If they can't inspire confidence among their own members, it doesn't bode well for governing. Policies matter, but I think overall their needs to be confidence in the party, their leader and their policies.

2.I think that part of my answer to Q1 also applies to Q2, i.e. a leader having the support of their party. The coalition government has led to inevitable compromise over some issues, which can make the people involved seem to quick to capitulate and do a U turn. That said, it can take courage to publicly admit that some policies were wrong. I don't think Milliband has really got the full support of his party, and there is always the Union aspect to consider, although the traditional alliance between Labour and the Unions may not be as strong as it used to be. Nick Clegg hasn't shown himself to be particularly effective, and it is hard to imagine him as PM material. Farage is a hard one to judge, focussing on his "I'm one of you" with a pint and a cigarette, strong views on Europe and immigration, but then making some appalling gaffes. Cameron seems to have changed in some ways during his term of office so far, the recent re-shuffle etc bringing in more women, but is that really important? it should be a meritocracy, with those best suited to the role getting it, regardless of gender.

I really don't know who I would vote for if there was an election tomorrow/next week/next month. I would want to read the manifesto of each party, and hope that as well as saying what they wanted to do, how they were actually going to achieve it. There are many areas that need more funds, but they have to be raised somehow, the money can't just come out of thin air. I would also like to see a party that understood that although we are a small island, there is a huge disparity between living in a town or city, and in a rural community.

Galen Tue 29-Jul-14 14:04:42

The most important are the policies. Even if I loathed the leader the policies are the most important thing.
They are the things that affect us in the end.

All the leaders are pretty useless in general at the moment. I want a leader who has no political axe to grind, but brings a balanced and fair judgement to issues,
They should put the country's welfare before the good of their own party.
Farage is a definite no-no. He is rascist.
Clagg is wet
Milliband is pretty ineffective and
Cameron seems to think more of his party than the country although I suppose he is slightly hampered by Clegg

I would still vote for the same party as in my opinion they are the best of a rotten bunch. It's definitely not UKIP
They need to more about economic and illegal immigration
Sort out the tax situation which is hitting the elderly
Sort out the DWP, the NHS and keep the nation together as one nation

SuFlay Tue 29-Jul-14 18:00:12

The leader is of minor importance in terms of 'image' but is important in being able to unite a disparate group of MPs and have the political skills to see off those who would want his / her position or undermine the stated objectives of the manifesto.

A leader also has to be internationally minded to respond to the bigger picture whilst not losing sight of domestic issues. The leader needs to command the respect particularly of the important European leaders and their civil servants.

A good Prime Minister? It's worth while looking at PMs in the past and which of them have left a legacy which has benefitted the nation. My view would not be the same as many, but Earl Grey, Robert Peel, Clement Attlee and, in wartime, Churchill are the names which resonate. They need a compelling vision of high morality and the guts to stick to perhaps unpopular courses of action which they know to be right. They also need to have the ability to unite the nation as far as possible rather than be arrogant and divisive.

What have we got? Cameron, posh, privileged unaware of the effect and misery of so many of his government's policies.

Miliband, good ideas but far too in thrall to focus groups and trying too hard for the sound bite. He needs to ditch the advisors.

Clegg, what's to be said? He sold the LibDems down the river. A spent force and the end of his party I suspect.

Farage is a racist unpleasant populist whom I think we will find has peaked in the European protest election and will gradually wither away.

Who did I vote for at the last election? Green in the European as they have the best policies by far. I should like to vote for them again but it would be a wasted vote where I live to I'm still not sure.

Priorities : stop privatising the NHS. Reverse the damage that Gove - and his predecessors have done to education. Have a seriously well researched, long term policy for the environment. Make the welfare state what it was, a contributory system and most importantly of all tackle the housing problem by forcing empty properties to be sold or lived in and stop land hoarding.

grandmac Tue 29-Jul-14 19:15:13

For me the leader is important but the policies are more so. Policies are what affects us and the country as a whole.
The party leader/prime minister should be charismatic, well spoken, smart and strong enough to unite the party. They should have had a 'proper' job before entering politics and be able to relate to all sections of society. They must have integrity and the respect of international leaders. None of the current main party leaders fit all these criteria. David Cameron seems too out of touch with the general public, tries too hard to be popular, and does not appear to command much respect on the international scene. Ed Milliband cannot unite his party and is too much influenced by the unions. Nick Clegg is ineffectual and has the respect of nobody. Nigel Farage, while appearing to be a 'good bloke' is a racist bigot and a liar, although I do agree with some of his policies.
I really don't know who to vote for at the next election. I think the Conservatives have done their best with the economy after Labour left it is such a dire mess. But I would also look for policies on restricting immigration due to the effect it is having on schools and the NHS, a reduction in overseas aid to countries that obviously don't need it, a long term policy on education and a fairer tax system that does not penalise the poor. I am prepared to be courted by any party that can give me what I want!!

Vinny Tue 29-Jul-14 19:50:52

1. Fairly important - I would hesitate to vote for a party with an ineffectual leader as he could potentially be a leader of the government. The policies of a party are very important and are my main consideration when deciding who to vote for.

2. A party leader should be confident; authoritative; loyal; fair and just but not a 'pushover'. A good PM is someone who can make difficult decisions, a good communicator and is good at delegating. A bad PM would be a short term thinker more interested in ratings than governing.
David Cameron has the makings of being a good PM but I think he is hampered by being in a coalition - he has had to compromise on too many policies and he has made some poor decisions regarding the people he chooses to mix with.
Ed Miliband would be a terrible PM, he is not a good communicator, he does not instil confidence. He seems unable to take charge of his party.
Nick Clegg..too ineffectual.
I quite like Nigel Farage but as PM - noooo!

3. I've always voted for the same party for years but this time I'm genuinely unsure who to vote for. I have even considered a spoilt vote..it would be unthinkable not to vote at all. A protest vote for UKIP? I would be too worried that they would actually get enough votes to take control.

ontherebound Tue 29-Jul-14 22:31:57

Policy is the most important thing for me, and it angers me that policy seems so often to be made on the hoof and in response to what is perceived to be public opinion. I would like a party that told it like it is, and then formulated policies to deal with problems even if the solutions seem unpalatable to the electorate. I feel that the Coalition has been braver in this respect than Labour would have been.
One aspect of party leadership that has not been mentioned so far is that of the ability of party leaders to lose elections, rather than win them. Notable losers in recent times being Neil Kinnock and Gordon Brown who both snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
David Cameron looks less like a loser than Ed Miliband.
My own voting intentions are influenced by the fact that in my area, UKIP made appreciable gains in the European elections. To ensure that we don't end up with a UKIP MP which would be anathema to me, I shall probably vote Conservative as I have done in the past.

AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 10:32:13

Thanks for all the comments so far!
Below are the second batch of questions for your feedback.

1) How well or badly do you think the current main party leaders are doing on understanding the issues and concerned facing women like you.

First of all David Cameron?
And then Nick Clegg?
And then Ed Miliband?
Finally, Nigel Farage?

2) Are you more likely to vote for a party with a greater number of female representatives? Is it more important to see women in national roles as Minister/ Shadow Ministers, or equally important when thinking about your own local MP/ candidate? Does the gender of your local MP affect the way you're likely to vote?

3) We’re nearing the end of what looks likely to be a five year coalition – a first for Britain in peacetime. What have you liked about having a coalition? What has worked well, what do you think are the disadvantages? Do you see it as just a one off or would you like to see more coalitions in the future? Do you think they’re preferable to minority governments?

thanks GNHQ

NancyDrew Wed 30-Jul-14 13:29:06

1. I suspect that all three of the main leaders are subject to input from their clever and strong wives, which will give them perspective on that age group's concerns. When it comes to pensioners, of whom I am one, unless they talk to their Mothers a lot I am not sure they can understand my personal issues. Having said that, my main general concerns are those common to many people and as such, I think the Prime Minister is doing pretty well. Nick Clegg vacillates too much and likes to score points to boost his own ego rather than do what is best for the country. Ed Miliband is a champagne socialist and hasn't a clue about my issues and doesn't seem to share my concerns.

Lastly, coming to Nigel Farage, I think he is probably more clued up about ordinary people like me and things that affect me than any of them. He does seem to have the common touch and I think really listens to what people have to say to him. His problem is that UKIP is a 1-trick pony to date.

2. I don't agree with tokenism and think that political posts, like any position should be given on merit. It would not be part of my decision making to take the number of females in such roles, or as my prospective MP into account.

3. I was glad to see the coalition formed when it was, because, given the result at the General Election, it was the only way to sideline Labour after the mess they had made and the country was then in. I think it has worked reasonably well given the constant compromises which both sides have had to make. It has certainly lasted longer than many pundits thought it would.

What I haven't liked is the disproportionate power and influence the Libdems have had given their low number of MPS and votes. They have acted as a drag on what the Conservatives could have done solo.

Because of that, I am not keen on coalitions and would hope for a more clear-cut result next May. I would even prefer to see a minority government formed, which would have to make informal coalitions for each piece of legislation.

Galen Wed 30-Jul-14 14:01:01

1. As a professional woman I do not feel that the issues of female equality are addressed by any of the leaders.
DC seems mainly concerned with his own self image
NC appears to be completely ineffectual
DM does he have any views or policies regarding women
NF is a one issue man. I've yet to hear him talk about anything other than immigration and Europe which seem to be co-joined.

2. Gender plays no part in my decision. I would like to see more women in positions of power, but only if they are there on merit rather than as tokens or quotas.

3. I think the coalition was a disaster. Many potentially good ideas were vetoed by Clegg and co and I feel a coalition can never be as effective as one party government. Too many donkeys pulling in different directions.

Though come to think of it all the parties can be like that at times?

Nanatofive Wed 30-Jul-14 14:13:31

1) How well or badly do you think the current main party leaders are doing on understanding the issues and concerned facing women like you.

First of all David Cameron?
I'm not sure that any of the leaders have a true understanding of "issues and concerns facing women". I'm not sure I understand them either. The unequal pay issue has not been discussed for some time and part of the problem seems to be on the one hand wanting to be treated the same as male counterparts but then wanting special exceptions. Widows appear to be treated quite poorly at times especially widows below retirement age. I think David Cameron is on about the same level as the other party leaders. 2/10

And then Nick Clegg?
No better or worse than the others except Nick Clegg tries to give a caring person a but never quite pulls it off. 2/10

And then Ed Miliband?
He give an impression that he aught to care but manages to fail to do so. Seems to promote women as it's the thing to do rather than actually want to. 2/10
Finally, Nigel Farage?
He gives the impression that he is nearest to the common man and understands what makes working class women tick. Unfortunately the party has not said much about women. 2/10.

None of the parties care about the grey voter and do not appreciate how much spending power or Electoral power they have. There are few people in the government or opposition who relate to the grey voter.

2) Are you more likely to vote for a party with a greater number of female representatives? Is it more important to see women in national roles as Minister/ Shadow Ministers, or equally important when thinking about your own local MP/ candidate? Does the gender of your local MP affect the way you're likely to vote?

I get very fed up with any form of bias towards or against women in any walk of life. People should get a job because they are the best for the job not because they wear a skirt or not. Margaret Thatcher was a very strong women, as have other Prime ministers or presidents in other countries who have got there on merit. Merit should be the only criteria not sex or belonging to the right club, university or social class.
The gender of the MP would not effect me at all. In local elections or union elections however I have often voted for a female if I do not know anything about the candidates.

3) We’re nearing the end of what looks likely to be a five year coalition – a first for Britain in peacetime. What have you liked about having a coalition? What has worked well, what do you think are the disadvantages? Do you see it as just a one off or would you like to see more coalitions in the future? Do you think they’re preferable to minority governments?

If Scottish independence goes through there will be forty less labour MP's I believe and it would make it more difficult for that party to win a general election making a clear majority less likely. It would be nice, but probably not realistic, if all the parties could actually work together for the good of the country rather than the good of the party!
I do not see any disadvantages of a coalition other than perhaps during a crisis when a definite course needs to be taken. Decisions by committee are usually wrong.

gillygillyosenfeffer Wed 30-Jul-14 14:49:31

Why?

For me it is important that I "like" the leader of a political party. I need to believe in him or her and I need to feel that I could trust them to do the right thing. Also they need to "look the part" of a world leader. I would say the leader is equally important but not more important than the policeis of the party.

For me a good party leader should be smart of appearance and well groomed. Being the "face" of the party they should look the part. They should also speak confidently and never waffle. I think a good prime minister is someone who can really relate to the public. They should demonstrate an ability to get on with people of all ages and from all walks of life. I did think David Cameron could have made quite a good prime minister but obviously due to the coalitian he is somewhat restricted. I am disappointed that he has not been stronger in tackling religious extremism.

I cannot take Ed Milliband seriously. He neither looks or sounds like prime minister material. It worries me how he is still in the pockets of the unions and my fear if he should become prime minister is that he will allow the creation of thousands of non-jobs within the public sector. He does not fill me with confidence at all.

Nigel Farage. I quite like listening to him speak and share his passion about making Britain, great again although I think his passion does have a tendancy to trickle into racism, which is not good.

Nick Clegg. Who? What?

Why?
Why not?
Who would you switch to?

I honestly don't know who/which party I would vote for in the next election. The best of a bad bunch perhaps?

I worry that The Labour party will would be effectively run by the unions and that public sector (non) jobs would go through the roof (all to be paid for by the private sector of course). I think the conservatives did inherit a mess and have not been allowed to put things right due to the restraints of the colalitian. My fear is that Labour will put us righ back to where we were and the whole cycle will begin again. I would like to see a fairer tax system and the closure of all the dodgy tax scemes that allow those who earn the most to pay the least tax. I would like to see a stricter approach to imigration and a crack down on religious extremism. I want a fairer education system where all schools are good schools. The stupid system of good school, outstanding school only means that the best schools attract the best teachers and the others get whats left making it almost impossible for them to improve.

Vinny Wed 30-Jul-14 16:46:36

1. How well or badly do you think the current main party leaders are doing on understanding the issues and concerned facing women like you?

Abysmally...I think they're all clueless.

2. Are you more likely to vote for a party with a greater number of female representatives? Is it more important to see women in national roles as Minister/ Shadow Ministers, or equally important when thinking about your own local MP/ candidate? Does the gender of your local MP affect the way you're likely to vote?

No. I vote on policies not gender. I'd like to see a better balance, more women MP's, but only on merit.
It would be good to see more women in the Cabinet (again only on merit). David Cameron must think we're completely stupid by parachuting so many women into this Cabinet so near to a General Election. Why wait so long? And why demote Baroness Stowell of Beeston by denying her full Cabinet status. If his intention was to appeal to women voters then...Fail!

3. We’re nearing the end of what looks likely to be a five year coalition – a first for Britain in peacetime. What have you liked about having a coalition? What has worked well, what do you think are the disadvantages? Do you see it as just a one off or would you like to see more coalitions in the future? Do you think they’re preferable to minority governments?

I was sceptical about the coalition working out but I think it has been somewhat successful given the circumstances. I think that it has pulled the country out of a financial mess but both parties had to renege on policy promises - to the detriment of both. I hope it is a one-off but I fear that the future will bring more coalitions.

glammanana Wed 30-Jul-14 16:59:40

In my opinion I do think DC is managing quite well really he understands family life expectancies obviously and this may be due to the influence of his parents/parents in law who I am sure keep his feet on the ground with regard to the needs of our older generation even though they are most certainly well heeled themselves they would have had to have worked hard to get where they are now,maybe the Camerons have to rely on their parents for childcare & he will most certainly know how valuable the older vote is and that it is maybe the only thing that may keep his party in power next time.
Ed Miliband,I have no interest in this man at all and would not entertain anything he has to say he seems rather wimpish to me,has no strength of character at all.sorry.
Nick Clegg gives the impression he is interested but I doubt it very much he is just a figure head for the Labour Party as they where and are very low on MPs that would seem capable of getting the job of putting GB back to-gether again.
Nigel Farage again holds no interest for me he seems to be OK in what he does but again I have to say the racism side of him does shine through far too much for my liking,certainly not good for the Country.

I don't mind too much about the ratio of male & female MP's as long as they do their job and respond to the Countries needs I am happy enough,my local MP Angela Eagle (lab) is I must admit an excellent MP for her constituents she has a very good response rate to local questions and problems,its a pity she does not work for my chosen party,our last Conservative MP was Lynda Chalker and she was a good strong MP so gender does not make a difference to me at all.

Yes this has been the first coalition in UK peacetime,I have never witnessed this in my lifetime as I'm sure others haven't either I would much rather have a single party in power and at first I found it quite confusing I feel it will take far longer to get back to some sort of normality if a coalition continues after the next election which ever party wins the vote for leadership.

WBundecided Wed 30-Jul-14 18:07:20

Sorry, just got time finally to join in this very interesting discussion, I run my own business and time limitations are very unpredictable!

1. Understanding the issues of women: David Cameron, Ed Milliband, Nick Clegg all have a working wife and a family so may understand the restraints,and limitations on the family. I don't think any comments regarding how much money they have/how much help they can pay for is particularly relevant as the time issues of getting children to school, attending plays, sport days applies whatever you earn. As for Nigel Farage, I am unaware of his family circumstances, other than the fact that his wife is on his payroll and is German. I suspect that of all of them Nigel Farage will do the least for women, he strikes me of being rather 1950's in his attitude and thinks that women should stay at home and raise their family.
2. Having women in position as ministers hasn't done me much benefit to be honest, and one part of me wants to say that capability is more important than gender, BUT I do tire of decisions being made by middle aged, middle class white males. I do not like the idea of women only selection lists, any more than I would like the idea of minority only/male only/white only lists. Selection for representation of a constituency should be made by the constituency and not foisted on them by central office. However, I would be more likely to vote for a party with a number of women in their cabinet, assuming that they were there on their own merit. But, I am very suspicious of the sudden importation of women into the cabinet just as an election starts looming.
3. the problem with coalition government is that you are being ruled by committee and as we all know, that leads to bland compromise. However, I do feel that the LibDems have done quite well in forcing through legislation that the Conservatives would not, such as raising the tax threshold to £10, 000 and taking lots of people out of it all together.I feel that they should have forced a few more things through while they have the opportunity of being in government.