Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nestle - Again!

(12 Posts)
Nonnie Sun 27-Jul-14 10:03:54

Yes, you may have seen it before but it popped up again on my Facebook this morning so I thought I would put it on here for anyone who hasn't seen it before. It is truly appalling

action.storyofstuff.org/cms/thanks/nestle_water_privatization_push?action_id=724842&akid=.461186.3BmXrR&ar=1&form_name=act&rd=1&taf=1

Ariadne Sun 27-Jul-14 10:21:26

Worth reposting, Nonnie! Thank you.

Nonnie Sun 27-Jul-14 11:20:44

Thanks Ariadne I don't think such things can be said too often. sad

HollyDaze Sun 27-Jul-14 16:35:00

I couldn't find the article on the link given in the OP but I did find the documentary clip on youtube (given here in case anyone else had problems)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEFL8ElXHaU

From the comments of youtubers, I was shocked to read the article on this clip:

action.sumofus.org/a/nestle-water-pakistan/?sub=homepage

That has made me feel so sad.

durhamjen Sun 27-Jul-14 16:59:08

weownit.org.uk/evidence/water

Some interesting stuff on here about what is happening to water in this country compared to the rest of the world.
I found that youtube clip from Nestle very chilling, Holly.

granjura Sun 27-Jul-14 17:41:58

Truly appalling indeed- I have many friends who work for Nestlé, both Swiss and expats- I don't know how they can. Shameful.

HollyDaze Mon 28-Jul-14 11:12:08

Very interesting link durhamjen and this:

Research shows that water privatisation is not more efficient than public provision, and it tends to mean higher prices for consumers and/or underinvestment.

says it all. I don't care how often they try to claim that it (and other publicly owned utilities) was (or were) never great when it was publicly owned, I don't recall people being worried about using water before. My mother was encouraged to have a water meter fitted and was told she would pay less as she was sole tenant; her bills actually went up.

I won't sign online petitions as information is required (usually postcode) that I'm not happy about putting online but this is one where I am sorely tempted.

Nonnie Mon 28-Jul-14 11:13:54

Go for it Holly I sign them and the worst that happens is that you start to get emails and then you can unsubscribe if you wish. Every voice counts.

HollyDaze Mon 28-Jul-14 11:23:57

I wasn't going to add this but I've decided to.

My eldest granddaughter, when she was about 7, came to me, almost in tears, saying they had been told at school how scarce water is and that we mustn't waste it or we won't have enough water to go around. She asked me if that was true.

I told her that it depends on how you look at it but no-one (in Britain) is going to die of thirst (within the foreseeable future). There hasn't, to my knowledge, been a prolonged drought in Britain so why is there a proclaimed water shortage? If it isn't due to a lack of rainfall - could it be lack of investment in the treatment plants and/or the lack of investment in building new reservoirs? My guess is that that is exactly what the problem is so it more to do with the organisation than what ordinary people are doing with the water they are getting.

HollyDaze Mon 28-Jul-14 11:25:25

I would Nonnie if they didn't ask for my postcode - that is way too close for comfort! I'd be happy to give an email address but not postcode. I would happily write to them and give them that information or use a telephone keypad - anything but commit it to the internet!

durhamjen Mon 28-Jul-14 13:11:27

Just checked it, Holly, and the postcode is optional.

Nonnie Mon 28-Jul-14 13:49:25

Thanks durham some will know this is something I feel very strongly about and I have persuaded many people to boycott Nestle.