Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Way You Register to Vote

(30 Posts)
rosequartz Mon 28-Jul-14 12:13:36

The way you register to vote is changing:

https://www.gov.uk/yourvotematters?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6deeBRCswoauquC8haUBEiQAdq5zh8qjBQRsjbR8SzE9RICs11_lnzXYKDp81CprfpSxgu4aAqfR8P8HAQ

It is probably right that we are now registered as individuals and it is not up to the 'head of the household' to be responsible for registering us.

However, the letter I have received states that 'You don't need to do anything else' so many people will believe that they need do nothing more.

However, read your letter carefully when it arrives. If you had chosen previously for your details NOT to be available to third parties for whatever purpose, this request may now have been disregarded. Our County Council has put our names on an Open Register 'available to be bought by any person, company or organisation' and we will have to request to have our names put on the Electoral Register only. This was changed without our permission and we now have to contact the County Council to get this changed back again.

Nonnie Sat 02-Aug-14 16:10:00

I think we are all classified according to what we were previously.

I am more concerned though that people may eventually be registered to vote at more than one address. When moving there will be so many things to consider will we remember to remove ourselves from the list? I would like to think that as soon as I stop paying council tax that will trigger removal but somehow don't trust that the two will be linked. Same goes for wherever I might move to, will I remember to register?

rosequartz Sat 02-Aug-14 21:11:20

Nonnie, different councils may be acting differently. We were definitely not on the open register before, but will be placed on it annually from now on unless we ask to be removed from it.

Our council has taken the view that they will place everyone on the open register every year regardless of what register they were on before because otherwise they may face legal action from businesses who may challenge them on this.
I am beginning to think that this is piffle and more a moneymaking exercise.

Gracesgran Mon 01-Sep-14 17:05:31

This letter seems to be step one in the individual registration process. There was a piece about it on The Daily Politics today and, although I am a bit of a politics geek, much of it had passed me by. I looked it up and found this on the Electoral Commission site:

^Previously, one person in every household was responsible for registering everyone else who lives at that address. Under individual electoral registration, each person is now required to register to vote individually, rather than by household.

Under Individual Electoral Registration you need to provide 'identifying information', such as your date of birth and national insurance number, when applying to register and your application will need to be verified before you are added to the register. Anyone unable to supply this information can provide an alternative form of evidence of their identity.^

The only additional thing I gathered from the DP item was that previously Universities used to sign up student (in bulk?) and now they will have to do it individually.

If anyone has more insight into this I would love to know.

(Just previewed this and the italics don't seem to work - sorry)

hildajenniJ Mon 01-Sep-14 17:35:15

Our council is placing everyone in the open register. I can't see any reason to change it. If Scottish Power can phone my brand new mobile after I entered one on-line competition and gave that number, I don't mind who buys my details. I asked the Scottish Power sales lady how she got my number and she said it was on their database. My word, that was quick!