Gransnet forums

News & politics

English GN's referendeum

(255 Posts)
whitewave Wed 10-Sep-14 14:46:44

In view of the fact that we are left totally on the side lines during the upcoming Scottish referendum, I wondered if all the English GN's would like to cast a vote for or against Scotland leaving

So folks - For Scotland leaving your vote should be YES.
Against Scotland leaving vote should be NO

We need an adjudicator (any offers) and perhaps you can give a reason for your vote if you so wish I realize that it will not be a secret ballot but as it doesn't count it shouldn't matter

Granny23 Wed 10-Sep-14 23:44:35

I think it is very divisive that you have excluded Gransnetters, resident in Scotland, from this important vote grin

kittylester Thu 11-Sep-14 06:36:21

I think this maybe stems from an item on Jeremy Vine's show when he asked that very question Granny23. Lots of people on the radio wanted to see Scotland go! You can start another thread!

It seems wrong to me that the rest of the UK can't have a say nor even can expat Scots.

Aka Thu 11-Sep-14 07:03:18

Yes of course a country should control it's own future if that's what it wants.

Aka Thu 11-Sep-14 07:05:24

Oops I'm not English but I live in England so I don't get to vote on here either.

NanKate Thu 11-Sep-14 07:14:00

Definitely NO.

I am worried if the YES vote wins where do the rest of the UK stand with regard to Trident which protects us.

ffinnochio Thu 11-Sep-14 07:35:04

Kitty I had supper with friends from Shetland the other night, and they have a postal vote because they still pay council tax - so some expat Scots can vote if they retain a property there.

kittylester Thu 11-Sep-14 07:40:50

They are not the norm ffin

Does anyone know whether Scotland will be part of the Commonwealth in the event of a Yes vote?

Brendawymms Thu 11-Sep-14 07:56:25

I would have said a great big NO but with all the extra freebies being offered to Scotland if they say no that the rest of us won't get but pay for I say YES now.

gillybob Thu 11-Sep-14 08:04:24

I'm with you there*Brendawymms*.

Up until recently I would have said No but am now thinking on the lines of "if that's what you want, well off you go, the sooner the better". Will still feel a little sad though.

hildajenniJ Thu 11-Sep-14 08:48:57

I would vote No, but I know several residents of Scotland, some Scots, some English who will be voting Yes, my DD among them. She sees a Yes vote as the best for Scotland and the future of her children, as she intends to make Scotland her permanent home. She argues the case very well, and almost had me believing it was best too.

moomin Thu 11-Sep-14 09:13:08

No!

Anniebach Thu 11-Sep-14 09:36:00

Can't vote, I am Welsh, but this is a perfect example of the divide in the UK, yesterday someone being interviewed referred to the English parliment

TriciaF Thu 11-Sep-14 09:41:45

If I was Scottish I would definitely vote Yes - free ourselves from the grip of the current lot at Westminster.

rosequartz Thu 11-Sep-14 09:45:07

Annie I'm English born, mongrel background, but I think that a general feeling that this is an English/Scottish matter speaks for itself. Not surprised that the Scots want independence!

However I would vote no.

rosequartz Thu 11-Sep-14 09:47:39

Forgot to mention that I live in Wales, quite a significant fact. DGD2 is helping me type, must go, ppress that one then thst one that one ,..y hhrb

Anniebach Thu 11-Sep-14 10:07:12

rosequartz, after the months of listening to and reading of Scotland /England it must be obvious to most just how insignificant Wales and N Ireland are in the UK and why so many Scots want out, they want to be free of England not the UK , I have never felt part of the UK

noodles Thu 11-Sep-14 10:13:24

I'd vote yes. To me its more about 'freedom from' rather than 'freedom for' Scotland. I agree with Anniebach and I'd love to see Wales and NI go it alone too. England would be much better off as an independent country.

Pittcity Thu 11-Sep-14 10:19:47

As there are so many questions that will not have an answer until the votes have been counted and I much prefer to keep the status quo if the future is uncertain, I would vote no.
I might have changed my mind if an independent future had been clearly laid out. I am talking about currency, sovereignty, EU membership, health, taxation, prices in shops etc.
Theo Paphitis said on the One Show that he wished he had more information as to what might happen as he did not know how his Scottish businesses would fare.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Sep-14 10:25:59

I think the Scots would be a lot more worse off than the rest of the UK would be, if it's a yes.

Apart from the fact that we'd lose Andy Murray.

Agus Thu 11-Sep-14 11:03:56

I agree with Anniebach. Why start a thread alienating GNetters from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

There are other threads where we can ALL air our political views confused

gillybob Thu 11-Sep-14 11:13:21

I am sure the original post by whitewave was not intended to "alienate other GNetters" Agus and Anniebach I think perhaps it was started as a bit of fun.

HollyDaze Thu 11-Sep-14 11:28:57

I'm not sure I understand how a yes vote will affect the rest of the UK at all but I do understand how some Scottish people feel regarding Westminster.

To me its more about 'freedom from' rather than 'freedom for' Scotland.

Well said noodles

Anniebach Thu 11-Sep-14 11:47:09

gillybob, I didn't think the thread was worded to alienate some but it did just that, it is how many English regard the UK, not all who do so meant offence but sadly it does offend, and it does show why many Scots are voting to leave the UK . You really have to have spent a lifetime taking the insults to understand why some Scots, Welsh and Irish long to be free of England .

gillybob Thu 11-Sep-14 11:55:51

But the UK is surely all of us togetherAnniebach England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (well for now anyway). I have never called myself English although obviously I am. I have always said British as I don't suffer from the nasty disease that is nationalism. I love that we are all part of the whole thing and that we can all look out for each other and fight together against REAL problems such as terrorism.

I think this thread was meant as a bit of lightheartedness tbh. I am not sure what you mean by "taking insults" ? Insults from whom? about what?

Anniebach Thu 11-Sep-14 12:21:35

gillybob, it is not the thread to explain, it was meant to be a lighthearted thread and I accept this, but such a pity the question wasn't - England, N Ireland and Wales because Scotland leaving will have serious consequences for Wales

It will also bring team GB down the list of medal winners in the Olympics, a good reason to stay together surely smile