Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another Conservative defecting to UKIP

(38 Posts)
POGS Sat 27-Sep-14 15:12:24

So Mark Reckless MP for Rochester and Stroke has defected to UKIP at the UKIP Conference.

How many more, from which party??

I bet the Westminster bubble has a squeaky bum, left and right of politics.

Tegan Tue 30-Sep-14 23:00:23

I know we've had a debate about this before at one time but I feel that people vote for a party as much as the person who stands for that party and if you're unhappy with what that party is doing [eg Robin Cook] you should just resign not just switch to another party [or at least let the dust settle a bit and then switch parties]. Seems insulting to the electorate imo. I had a leaflet pushed through my door when I was away saying UKIP had been round and were sorry to have mised me. I'm going to email them and state that I do not want them knocking on my door at any time ever again.

Soutra Tue 30-Sep-14 23:34:48

Just say maybe they were sorry - but you weren't!!
Mind you there is quite a tradition of "crossing the floor of the house" and switching to another party - Churchill, Mosley among them. But somehow you get a feeling that perhaps principles were involved other than an eye for the main chance!
If there are to be more defectors they could be like the 7 Dwarfs - Reckless, Brainless, Feckless, Clueless, Hopeless, Witless and Useless !! grin

durhamjen Tue 30-Sep-14 23:43:58

Good list, Soutra. We just need another five. Tegan, there are to be by elections in the constituencies of those who have defected. I have a feeling they will only defect if they are sure of getting back in.

nigglynellie Wed 01-Oct-14 09:17:20

Anyone is entitled to change political party's if they wish, but the manner and timing of this defection was nothing short of disgraceful. Any vague flirtation with Ukip in this house has now been consigned to the bin! Let's hope this man sinks without trace. Snakes in the grass are not for us.

nigglynellie Wed 01-Oct-14 09:17:21

Anyone is entitled to change political party's if they wish, but the manner and timing of this defection was nothing short of disgraceful. Any vague flirtation with Ukip in this house has now been consigned to the bin! Let's hope this man sinks without trace. Snakes in the grass are not for us.

nigglynellie Wed 01-Oct-14 09:19:55

Sorry about the repetition! Was posted from my Kindle which tends to have a mind of it's own!

nigglynellie Wed 01-Oct-14 09:19:56

Sorry about the repetition! Was posted from my Kindle which tends to have a mind of it's own!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Oct-14 09:21:38

Agree with nigglynellie there. It was the timing. Calculated to cause the most upset to the party he had been a member of.

HollyDaze Wed 01-Oct-14 12:31:13

According to David Cameron, the chap never supported any of the Governments proposals which makes me wonder why he stayed so long if he disagreed with them so much.

durhamjen Wed 01-Oct-14 23:59:11

Just checked up on theyworkforyou, and he rebelled on 8.5% of the votes. Not quite what Cameron said.

HollyDaze Thu 02-Oct-14 19:39:34

Ah, that is interesting durhamjen - just goes to prove what I've always said: you can't trust a word that comes out of their mouths.

Morgeo Fri 07-Nov-14 03:46:54

I personally think that Mark Reckless had no option because he campaigns for local issues and if he then has to abide by government policy against his constituents then he is failing them. if you have fol;lowed some of the local issues perhaps you might take a different view should you feel he was wrong to jump ship. I would advocate getting rid of the whip in parliament because it is undemocratic. I think that the local people know he is for them.