Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jails fitted out with lifts and wheelchairts to cope with pensioner crime

(9 Posts)
Granny23 Thu 06-Nov-14 12:38:13

An acquaintance who worked for M & S once told me that their security particularly watched people in wheelchairs and mums with pushchairs, because they were the most likely shoplifters.

Galen Wed 05-Nov-14 21:00:20

We had a claimant once who was angry his mobility allowance had been stopped after he'd been caught in a robbery after a rooftop chase. He pointed out, he must be disabled as he'd been allocated a disabled cell.
He agreed the charge was correct but said he'd been charged by a 'Rush of adrenaline' which enabled the crime and chase!

pompa Wed 05-Nov-14 20:02:02

I think it's all these GNer's that realise they have been putting up with their husbands for too long, another happy poor widow !

FlicketyB Wed 05-Nov-14 19:22:52

The problem of older people in prisons has been around for some years now. It arises because a) People are committing crimes at far older ages - a man of 85 was jailed for life last week for a double murder and b) longer sentences and longer lives mean many more much older prisoners. I would suspect also, that living in a prison is not the healthiest of environments so older people there develop medical problems and disabilities at younger ages than they would outside.

There were plans some years ago to build a penal care home so that older prisoners with disabilities could be incarcerated in a building built to meet their needs, but for whatever reason the idea was dropped.

kittylester Wed 05-Nov-14 19:05:29

What exactly should I do to get a place? Can I kill the Idiot? Or is that justifiable homicide? grin

KatyK Wed 05-Nov-14 18:36:25

Channel 4 News have been running an item each day this week entitled 'Why does my granny have more fun than me'

rubylady Wed 05-Nov-14 16:33:02

I'm currently reading "The little old lady who broke all the rules". Quite a funny book but has some truth in the fact that she and her friends think that they would be better looked after in prison than in the care home they have been put in. It makes you think.

soontobe Wed 05-Nov-14 14:43:57

Old people aren't so "old" any more?
It is good news in a way.

When I look at pictures of people who were in their early 50s, thirty years ago, they dont look too much different to how they look today!

NanoftheNorth Wed 05-Nov-14 11:38:51

Saw this today and was amazed at the numbers of older people committing crimes these days - and I wondered if this really was news...or just scare-mongering?
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/revealed-jails-fitted-out-wheelchairs-8049460