Gransnet forums

News & politics

And another thing!

(96 Posts)
whitewave Sun 16-Nov-14 10:10:55

See a couple of universities have issued the result of a couple of independent researches that show how much the rich have gained over the poorest (as if we needed telling) - particularly the most poor like single parents. At least this is now underpinned by proper study now and not just hearsay.

FarNorth Mon 17-Nov-14 12:28:32

Have the SNP said that they will never back a Tory proposal (presumably however good it might be)? I understood they had said only that they would never support a Tory government, in the way that the Liberals are now doing.
The reforms are not going ahead yet, but they are under consideration. The Smith Commission should produce "recommendations for further devolution of powers to the Scottish Parliament" by 30 November.

whitewave Mon 17-Nov-14 15:15:37

POGS I don't think that they said that they would prop up a Labour Government - only that they would look at each proposal on it's merits. Saying that Sturgeon is left of Salmond so unlikely to remotely consider a Tory Government.

But I take your point with regard to whether they would start to vote on various "English" laws, that would be an interesting point and we must see what happens after the next election.

Tegan Mon 17-Nov-14 15:46:07

I'll do anything I can to stop the dreadful UKIP lot from having any power; I'm even contemplating voting Conservative for the first time in my life for that reason. And also worried at a comment I heard from the SNP saying that they could possibly hold the balance of power after the next election [did I mishear/misinterpret that?]. And also that they might possibly declare themselves independent at some point? In which case, the money spent on the referendum would have been better spent going to the poor and needy.

POGS Mon 17-Nov-14 16:56:39

whitewave.

Did you watch the SNP conference?

The SNP did say they would hold the balance of power after May and would prop up a Labour government. Even if the weasle term 'Confidence and Supply' is used that's just a cowards way of saying it will accept being in coalition with another party, to me anyway.

Even UKIP has said it would do a deal with the devil and back Labour to get what it wants.

That's why I say come next May the voter will be ashamed of the political hypocrisy and power grabbing by parties of all colours.

FarNorth Mon 17-Nov-14 17:51:31

It's unfortunate that the UK still uses the out-dated voting system that it has and did not introduce proportional representation.
Despite this being a key policy of the Liberal party and them being part of the government for the last few years, it hasn't happened.
So we will again have the ridiculous situation of people trying to guess who might be the least disastrous choice to vote for, as Tegan has said about voting Conservative.

Tegan Mon 17-Nov-14 18:02:08

What we should all do [and I'm as guilty as any when it comes to it] is decide which party we want to be affiliated to, join it and make our voices heard. Rather than voting for Mickey Mouse parties and hoping that, by doing so, things will get better.

Ana Mon 17-Nov-14 18:02:42

The UK held an Alternative Vote referendum as part of the Conservative /Liberal Democrat Coalition Agreement drawn up after the 2010 general election in May 2011, FarNorth - don't you remember?

The population voted overwhelmingly to keep the old system.

POGS Mon 17-Nov-14 18:06:26

We did have a referendum on the Alternative Vote didn't we.

The Lib Dems joined with Labour if I'm not mistaken in going against a Conservative vote for a reformed House of Lords.

Labour are now calling for reforms to the Lords. Lib Dems always have wanted it. They could have got behind the Conservatives and 'banked' an 80% Lords reform and progressed with further reforms if and when they got into power.

The politics of power.

As the saying goes 'You couldn't make it up'.

FarNorth Mon 17-Nov-14 18:15:01

I had totally forgotten that Ana blush. Having looked it up, I see that approx two-thirds of those who voted chose to keep the old system. Well, I never.

Iam64 Mon 17-Nov-14 18:36:29

I was in favour of proportional representation. I'm not a historian but a pal who is warned me, that's what got Hitler into power. Not saying Nigel F is anything like Adolph, but some of his pals in the european parliament certainly are.

Soontobe - if you look at the Ukip statements about the NHS for example, you'll see NF wants to privatise it. No doubt he'll back track on what he said, but I wouldn't want Ukip to hold the balance of power, as it seems may be possible.

rosequartz Mon 17-Nov-14 19:06:21

I certainly wouldn't want the SNP to hold any balance of power. They demand more and more for Scotland without any thought of what is best for the United Kingdom as a whole. I wish now that they had voted 'Yes'; I think Sturgeon is very dangerous indeed.

By the way, I said in my previous post that she will be demanding 30 hours of paid nursery care for children from the age of 2 in Scotland amongst other demands - without considering what pressure this would put on UK taxpayers - at the same I stated that Welsh children are allowed 12.5 hours per week compared to Scotland's present 15 hours - well, they are not. Welsh children are only allowed 10 hours per week. She does not give a damn about the rest of the country so why should Westminster consider her demands?

Give them tax raising powers and let them go their own way.

whitewave Mon 17-Nov-14 19:10:41

rose I am inclined to agree. I can't quite make why I feel like it but I loath both her and Salmond. And being somewhat bitchy I hate her make-up - so caked on!

soontobe Mon 17-Nov-14 19:20:08

Soontobe - if you look at the Ukip statements about the NHS for example, you'll see NF wants to privatise it. No doubt he'll back track on what he said, but I wouldn't want Ukip to hold the balance of power, as it seems may be possible

He seems to backtrack on things that are unpopular.
So that is good in a way, but also it is like they havent made their own minds up yet.
Not sure when the manifesto will be out.
Maybe he wont do one, which wouldnt be a good thing.

soontobe Mon 17-Nov-14 19:22:16

What we should all do [and I'm as guilty as any when it comes to it] is decide which party we want to be affiliated to, join it and make our voices heard. Rather than voting for Mickey Mouse parties and hoping that, by doing so, things will get better

I would like to think that this already happens.
My guess is though that they havent been listened to.
Guesswork on my part though.

Tegan Mon 17-Nov-14 19:28:02

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2gpwSJldTo

soontobe Mon 17-Nov-14 19:34:10

Uh oh.
I couldnt see when he said that?

Tegan Mon 17-Nov-14 19:58:13

Personally I'm not bothered about when he said it, just the fact that he said it.

durhamjen Mon 17-Nov-14 20:19:11

Labour had never been in power a century ago. If the British voters had done what some of you on here advocate, it never would have. It would have been Liberals and Tories for ever.
It was only founded in 1900, and I get annoyed when people say that it is in the pockets of the unions. It was set up by the unions, so why should it not take money from them?
I read over the weekend that the Lib Dems were given over £500,000 by one union.
The Green Party does not have its head in the clouds. It does quite well in Europe. Given the airtime that Ukip gets, it would do much better in the UK. Unfortunately the media, run mainly by tax exiles, does not want that.
People get taken in by Farage. He's not someone in your local pub. He made all his money in the city. I cannot imagine the Labour party going into coalition with Ukip, but if they do, it just proves how far to the right the Labour party have moved.

durhamjen Mon 17-Nov-14 20:31:06

This is what he thinks about women, soontobe.

www.independent.co.uk/news/people/karren-brady-when-nigel-farage-says-women-are-worth-less-in-business-i-shudder-9864629.html

I think it's quite funny when Cameron says people should vote for him because of this. He's not exactly known for promoting women at work.

soontobe Mon 17-Nov-14 20:48:53

He may have changed his mind Tegan.
That could have been from 2 years ago, or 2 months.
It makes a difference. To me at anyrate.

soontobe Mon 17-Nov-14 20:55:19

durhamjen's quote is from this year.
The full quote seem to be right?

rosesarered Mon 17-Nov-14 21:23:21

Labour will be a disaster for this country if they get in at the next election, just like they were the last time they were in.Some Labour voters enjoy living in the past though.
UKIP are just awful all round, the Greens are no hopers. That leaves the Lib Dems and the Conservatives.Haven't done too bad a job together IMO when we are doing the best in Europe economically so far.The Lib Dems balance out any too far right wing ideas.
Nicola Sturgeon is smug and arrogant, but we could end up having large amounts of SNP MP's in Westminster.Too bad they didn't vote YES in the referendum and we could have been shot of them.

FarNorth Mon 17-Nov-14 23:05:42

soontobe Farage said that about the NHS during a tour in 2012, it said in the blurb underneath it.

FarNorth Mon 17-Nov-14 23:09:22

rosesarered Too bad they didn't vote YES in the referendum and we could have been shot of them.

Probably that would have happened if David Cameron hadn't told everyone how heartbroken he would be, by a Yes vote, and how Scotland could depend on him to give it more powers anyway.

durhamjen Mon 17-Nov-14 23:25:44

You obviously do not know the same sort of people that I do, roses, if you think the Tories and Libdems have done alright. They have for themselves and their rich friends, but not for the majority of people in this country.
Nicola Sturgeon is only asking for what she was promised in order for the SNP to stay in the UK, and why shouldn't she?
It will turn out to be yet another broken promise by Cameron, like no top-down reorganisation of the NHS.