Gransnet forums

News & politics

"I've never seen anything like it!"

(283 Posts)
TerriBull Thu 20-Nov-14 18:53:00

It appears that Labour MP Emily Thornberry has made a major faux pas in posting the above comment on Twitter in relation to a photograph she had taken whilst campaigning in Rochester of a resident's house showing a white van parked on a drive and the window at the front of the house draped with two St George flags.

Does Barrister, Ms Thornberry, who lives in a 2 - 3 million house in Islington and educates her children privately, exemplify the sneering political elite that the electorate are so fed up with?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 20-Nov-14 19:11:13

Well, it must have looked a bit odd!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 20-Nov-14 19:14:18

I've seen worse

She's apologising now. Coward! grin

Ana Thu 20-Nov-14 19:46:32

If she'd been a Conservative MP this thread would run and run...grin

rosequartz Thu 20-Nov-14 20:03:21

What exactly is wrong with the flag of St George? Did she spy it on the day that England were playing football against Scotland? and England won? (according to DH, I was reading or on GN at the time grin)

Or was it the white van that upset her?

confused

TerriBull Thu 20-Nov-14 20:07:13

Yes my thoughts too Ana. Anne Perkins in the Guardian seems to think this is one of the most unfortunate remarks made by a Labour politician in 4 years. I would have thought an intelligent person would give some thought as to how a tweet like this would be perceived. I wonder what happened first, a kicking from Labour's PR team, or her own slow realisation that she had scored a massive own goal!

Wish politicians wouldn't apologise for their gaffs it's blatantly obvious as per her tweet, those are her true feelings. Maybe she needs to do a "Bigotgate" and go round to the owner/s' house with a few aides for a cup of tea!

Ana Thu 20-Nov-14 20:09:52

Ha, yes - and hopefully she'd get the same reception!

rosesarered Thu 20-Nov-14 21:09:57

So some MP's in the Labour Party have lots of money, pay for private education and have big houses to live in? Shock horror!
It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of gaffes that politicians make.
And their 'apologies' [made at gunpoint] make me laugh.I would think more of them if they said 'I stand by my comment' or 'it was just one of those thoughtless moments' instead of insincere grovelling apologies.
Must go now as DH is just home for his supper [parking his white van in the drive, as I peep round our red white and blue curtains.]grin

janerowena Thu 20-Nov-14 21:28:00

It's so sad that our flag has come to be a symbol of racism. My heart does sink when I see flags displayed like that. I expect hers did too. If she has managed to escape it so far, then she is lucky. I had to listen to my boiler repair man ranting on for almost two hours this afternoon about 'foreigners' charging less per hour than he did. I almost asked for their number.

POGS Thu 20-Nov-14 22:03:32

Sounds about right for Emily Thornberry, quite pleased she is on the receiving end for once instead of dishing it out.

She is one I've mentioned in the past and I find her patronising during interviews and has been a source of bewilderment to me as I have heard her repeatedly say she was raised by a single parent in a council house and knows what it's like to be poor. Maybe but her mother was a teacher, her father a professor at Kings College who went on to become a United Nations Assistant Secretary General, or am I incorrect?. I accept they were divorced and perhaps it could of course be true.

Mind you her stupidity doesn't compare with Ken Livingstones latest vile rant does it. He has been recorded at a meeting basically telling people to physically go to peoples homes and make their life hell, just because they have been sent in to monitor a Labour Council. Nice one Mr. Livingstone you piece of work.

Oh yes and then there was Labour MP John McDonnell who said Tory MP Esther McVey should be lynched.

And they call the Conservatives the Nasty Party.

As you say Ana she's not a conservative MP just like the others. I think the press would have had a field day with these other cases but the likes of the BBC leave it just the Daily Politics Show.

TerriBull Thu 20-Nov-14 22:11:43

Hey POGS don't forget the female Labour MP, her name escapes me who suggested that Myleene Klass might wish to emigrate following her spat regarding Labour's proposed mansion tax, I believe the same was also suggested to Sol Campbell and Bonnie Greer used the stronger "piss off!" to Griff Rhys Jones.

POGS Thu 20-Nov-14 22:23:01

Paula Sheriff Labour's candidate for Dewsbury and Mirfield if I'm not mistaken?

The problem is if Ed Miliband, Labour, Conservatives etc. etc. can't take criticism they shouldn't go on such shows as the Agenda or Question Time etc.

POGS Thu 20-Nov-14 22:23:51

EMILY THORNBERRY HAS JUST RESIGNED!

Over and out.

TerriBull Thu 20-Nov-14 22:31:26

Hung by her own hubris! That must be one of the quickest resignations ever after a questionable comment.

24 hours is indeed a long time in politics!

TerriBull Thu 20-Nov-14 22:38:34

Possibly hanged.

Ana Thu 20-Nov-14 22:47:53

Oh dear! Now they'll be saying what a courageous and honourable thing it was to resign...

gillybob Fri 21-Nov-14 08:24:57

Courageous and honorable my arse bum. She said what she thought didn't she? I agree with Ana's earlier post if this had been a Tory comment we would never hear the last of it. They are all the same made you. They live in their multi million pound houses about as close to reality as the man in the bloomin' moon and think that we're all stupid.

Iam64 Fri 21-Nov-14 08:33:53

The repeated suggestions that this thread would run and run if the comments had been made by a Tory are just the kind of thing to put a stop to left leaners, like myself, coming in to criticise this stupid woman.

How dare she photograph someone's house and post it on twitter, with the aim of humiliating the family who live there. Other nations manage to celebrate their national flags without those flying them being accused of racism.

People who live in mansions should pay tax on them grin

Riverwalk Fri 21-Nov-14 08:58:55

British politics has become so complicated!

It used to be easy .... Left, Right and Liberals for those who wavered.

Now we have an Islington Labour MP sneering at an obviously working-class, home-owner with a white van and tattoos; then this morning Mark Reckless formerly right-wing Tory saying his new party is the natural home for the working man and woman.

And the LibDems polled 300 votes grin

Something's going on!

ninathenana Fri 21-Nov-14 09:53:32

If anyone who thinks it's objectionable to hang the flag of St. George on their house would be gob smacked to take a tour of my town when there is a major England sports event.

Now parking a white van on your drive............that's a different matter !!

grin

Anniebach Fri 21-Nov-14 10:00:21

It is such a shame the England flag has become a symbol of racism to many, wrong I know but when I see the flag I think BNP and not England

gillybob Fri 21-Nov-14 10:17:11

The problem with "us" English is that we are not patriotic unlike our friends over the border. Why should the England flag mean racism (it certainly doesn't to me) although must admit whenever I see the flag flying, I tend to think there must be an international football match on the horizon.

Riverwalk Fri 21-Nov-14 10:23:28

The chap who had the three flags flying claims not to have known that there was a by-election going on.

I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't buy the house next door!

Anniebach Fri 21-Nov-14 10:41:48

Most strange Riverwalk, perhaps all the canvassers in his area failed to knock his door or post him a flyer

GillT57 Fri 21-Nov-14 10:41:54

I am with you on that anniebach my heart sinks when I see the flag of St George flying and associate it with BNP and EDF.