Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ed Miliband versus Nick Clegg

(67 Posts)
magpie123 Tue 20-Jan-15 14:39:27

Who do I detest the most, Ed Miliband for stabbing his brother in the back or Nick Clegg for his broken promises of no tuition fees.

I think it's a draw!

Ana Tue 20-Jan-15 20:05:49

Yes, deliberately blocking the proposed boundary changes was just one of the LibDem 'revenges' following on from that failed AV referendum.

I know some think that coalition government is the way forward, and it does work in a lot of other countries where it is a tradition, but the thought of a smug Nick Clegg & Co. putting a spanner in the works whenever something doesn't suit them (whether in partnership with Conservatives or Labour) doesn't bear thinking about!

durhamjen Tue 20-Jan-15 20:28:13

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/19/dont-listen-russell-brand-refusing-vote-five-more-years-tory-government-michele-hanson

loopylou Tue 20-Jan-15 20:29:52

Quite frankly I cannot stand any of them! smug b....rs
I cannot imagine voting for any of them at the moment....

Jane10 Tue 20-Jan-15 20:39:23

I'm with you loopylou! Don't like any of them and loathe Salmond!

granjura Tue 20-Jan-15 20:40:06

Spanner in the works, or healthy checks and balances? Not sure. Why have a second chamber then, on that basis?

Ana Tue 20-Jan-15 21:11:15

A second chamber is one thing, a coalition partner with an axe to grind is another...

granjura Tue 20-Jan-15 21:29:21

axe to grind, or genuine concerns re reforms proposed? Got a feeling we might have to agree to disagree on interpretation here.

granjura Tue 20-Jan-15 21:30:34

Would you care to explain what you mean by 'axe to grind' in this context.
Thanks.

Mishap Tue 20-Jan-15 21:32:31

Clegg has indeed acted as a curb on DC and that is the advantage of a coalition. I am not too bothered what the motive might be.

I do not think the greens have seen all their policies absorbed into the main parties. No other party has an education policy that I have sympathy with apart from the greens - that is why I would like to see them having some influence in the next government.

POGS Tue 20-Jan-15 21:35:59

Mishap

Then do you agree The Greens are entitled to join in at least one debate?

POGS Tue 20-Jan-15 21:57:24

The lib Dems and Conservatives formed a coalition , one half said it would give a referendum on AV ,they fulfilled their commitment. The other half said it would go for boundary changes and then voted against it, they did not fulfill their commitment.

The lib Dems accused their 'partner' of going back on their word but that was rubbished , they simply didn't get their way in getting AV through, because the British voter did not want it, they 'threw their dummy out of the pram', had an 'axe to grind'.

As Meerkat would say, 'simples' As most others reading this will probably say 'stating the bleeding obvious'

Anya Tue 20-Jan-15 22:25:09

I've actually had a real, live Parliamentary Candidate in Person, canvassing down my street (well avenue if I'm being accurate) .....not seen one of this since last century.

Very impressive.

They might get my vote on this alone because I'm b*****ed if I know which of them I'd vote for otherwise.

Mishap Tue 20-Jan-15 22:30:26

I do think the greens should be included in the debates.

So - who to vote for? In our constituency, if you do not want the incumbent to get in again you have to vote tactically rather than follow your own inclinations. Do I want him to get in again? - NO, on the basis of his political affiliation; Yes, on the basis of his excellence as a local MP in taking up causes and supporting the community. Scratches head.....

Ana Tue 20-Jan-15 22:58:52

I do so agree, Mishap!

nigglynellie Thu 22-Jan-15 17:07:06

Whoever is in power after the election is, I fear, going to be hamstrung by the SNP, who, by all accounts are going to be throwing toys out of their pram at every given opportunity. I fear Alex Salmond; Nicola Sturgeon is clearly his stooge, and these people will try any trick, dirty or otherwise get their way. Our English leaders are weak, whichever party they belong to, will huff and puff and then give way on every issue. Scotland will have independence by the back door as no one can or will stand up to Salmond. I never thought that I would feel this, but if only they had to gone last autumn! If only we had ALL had a vote!!! As for for who to vote for in May? We have already had literature from the liberals. Utopia is clearly round the corner!!! What rubbish they talk! they are all so pathetic and gutless, I don't think I shall bother. I too wish there was a method on the ballot paper indicating none of the above. Not voting can indicate complete indifference or disinterest, whereas actually going to the trouble to put your cross indicates complete dissatisfaction over what's on offer, which is about the size of it!!!

MrsPickle Thu 22-Jan-15 19:19:07

We are up the creek without a Tone Cameron Clegg to stand on.
Doomed... all doomed.

NotTooOld Thu 22-Jan-15 19:51:03

I read somewhere that it was better to spoil one's ballot paper than not to vote at all - as a protest, I mean.

absent Thu 22-Jan-15 21:47:16

I think Ed Milliband is hamstrung by his unattractively dorkish appearance and his terrible nasal voice. What he says is frequently interesting and intelligent, even if one does not agree with his opinions, but he appears to be dull so listeners switch off.

Jane10 Fri 23-Jan-15 09:43:22

It's really hard to know how to vote tactically up here. Its anyone but SNP for me but who is most likely nuke them in our currently libdem constituency is difficult to discern. I will vote. Women worked so hard to get us the vote I'm damned sure I won't let them down!

nigglynellie Fri 23-Jan-15 10:41:49

Yes you are right about that Jane10, women did fight tooth and nail for the vote, but perhaps they fought more for the right to vote ((or not as the case may be). For me, If I do vote, it'll be on the best of a bad bunch basis, which is quite a sad reflection of how I felt all those years ago aged 21!

durhamjen Fri 23-Jan-15 10:58:05

So, absent, you think that people vote on appearance and voice, rather than what the candidate stands for?

Anya Fri 23-Jan-15 11:46:02

Pity David Milliband isn't leading Labour. Not only has he the charisma totally lacking in Ed but there was a sincerity about him - again totally lacking in Ed.

rosequartz Fri 23-Jan-15 12:35:23

I am not exactly sure what Ed Milliband stands for.

He can't help his looks (in fact his looks are quite endearing in a dorky kind of way).
I always think we would be better off if some of the wives of these politicians were leading the country.

nigglynellie Fri 23-Jan-15 12:51:18

I think sometimes people do vote on appearance and voice, particularly in these days of ' in your face' politics, ridiculous though that may seem. I agree, David would have been a much better bet for Labour in more ways than one; Of course Ed can't help his appearance or his voice, none of us can, he does come over though as insincere, and for a lot of people his behaviour towards his brother was nothing short of treachery, which doesn't help his image.

Jane10 Fri 23-Jan-15 17:28:05

TV debates risk the leaders of the various parties being judged exactly on their appearance and personal presentational skills. The risk is that the great British public will vote for them X Factor style and won't consider policies at all. It's very worrying