Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ed Miliband versus Nick Clegg

(66 Posts)
magpie123 Tue 20-Jan-15 14:39:27

Who do I detest the most, Ed Miliband for stabbing his brother in the back or Nick Clegg for his broken promises of no tuition fees.

I think it's a draw!

Riverwalk Tue 20-Jan-15 14:52:25

Not a fan of either - don't like to use the word 'detest' as it's nasty and harsh, so will say that I prefer Millband to Clegg.

But can I just say that I DETEST Tony Blair

Anya Tue 20-Jan-15 15:28:09

Not a fan of either for the same reasons as Magpie. Today's times was suggesting a Labour / SNP loose alliance, with Alex Salmond as Deputy PM. I know one GNetter (male) who'd flip at this forecast grin.

kittylester Tue 20-Jan-15 15:30:22

Lordy Moses!!

I entirely agree with *Riverwalk

POGS Tue 20-Jan-15 15:42:07

Anya

That has been said by Alex Salmond too some while ago.

They are all at it, it's called 'confidence and supply'.

Or as I call it I will blackmail you into giving me something I want, in this case getting rid of Trident.

That's why I hate coalition government.

Mishap Tue 20-Jan-15 16:04:33

I think coalition is what the future holds. It has its merits in that it can curb excess - would that there had been some sort of curb when Blair and Thatcher were on their thrones!

But the sort of horse-trading and the breaking of election promises that this entails is distinctly unedifying.

I would like to see a voice for the greens - they have some good policies and need to get some government experience in order to become a credible party.

NotTooOld Tue 20-Jan-15 16:28:58

The Greens may become obsolete now that their 'green' policies have been widely adopted (in theory at least) in the same way that UKIP could become surplus to requirements as the other main parties fall over themselves to agree with them.

granjura Tue 20-Jan-15 16:30:30

Why not ask across the board rather than just those two- then the choice becomes easier but negative deduction. Starting with the worst- I definitely do not want Farage, Salmond, Cameron- not sure about Milliband- so that leaves me with Clegg- I really like him actually, and as said, his hands were totally tied for the tuition fees. I am so glad I want have to vote this time round- but Europe and the world is watching with baited breath!

granjura Tue 20-Jan-15 16:32:12

So many Government around the world have to work as coalitions- the UK is not used to this, as first past the post totally without % rep- usually avoids this- but coalitions may well avoied the see-saw politics so damaging to Great Britain in the past.

Gagagran Tue 20-Jan-15 16:54:27

The only one of all the leaders that looks like a Prime Minister to me is David Cameron, even though he also looks a bit smarmy. Clegg comes across as weak and petulant, Miliband as a geek and Salmond as self-serving. Farage at least speaks normally even though most people don't see UKIP politicians as being very normal! Don't know much about the Greens though I think from what I have seen that they are naive idealists.

Don't shoot me down in flames now - I'm only saying what my impression of them is. Still don't know who I will vote for.

hildajenniJ Tue 20-Jan-15 17:02:18

I'm with you Gaga. Cameron seems the best of a bad bunch. I hope he gets a majority, and that he doesn't need to go into another coalition. Clegg is a millstone round his neck IMO.

granjura Tue 20-Jan-15 17:05:22

(ooops sorry about spelling/grammar mistakes- what a shame this Forum does not allow for correction- I often wonder why not?).

NotTooOld Tue 20-Jan-15 18:11:20

I'm not naturally a Tory voter and never have been but I do wonder if Boris might turn out to be the best prime minister we could have. He acts the buffoon but is actually much cleverer than that. I like that he speaks his mind and stands up for the UK.

granjura Tue 20-Jan-15 18:19:13

would you really trust Cameron with your pension, the NHS, state education for all, protection of low wage earners and zero hours, etc? I am surprised, I have to say. Thank goodness for that millstone around his neck stopping him from selling all that Mrs T didn't.

tanith Tue 20-Jan-15 18:33:22

I never thought I'd say thank goodness for Nick Clegg grin well said granjura.

Anniebach Tue 20-Jan-15 18:34:28

How did Ed Milliband stab his brother in the back? Both were members of the labour party , if one brother didn't agree with the path the other brother wanted to lead the party on surely better to stand for the leadership than stay back and possibly split the party

Ana Tue 20-Jan-15 18:37:26

I wouldn't trust any of them with all the things you list, granjura.

annodomini Tue 20-Jan-15 18:44:44

Never in a million years would I fail to vote in a general election - or any election - but this year, I really would like an option on the ballot paper to vote for 'none of the above'!

rosequartz Tue 20-Jan-15 19:20:25

I am not keen on either, particularly as I emailed Ed Miliband when he was Environment Secretary (several times I might add) and I am still awaiting a reply. two-faced back stabber, can't trust him as far as you can throw him
I have no time whatsoever for Nick Clegg two-faced smarmy so and so and think his party will be decimated at the next election.

As for TB I agree with Riverwalk

POGS Tue 20-Jan-15 19:32:23

Surely if you want to 'vote for none of the above' you have the choice by sim!ply njoit

Ana Tue 20-Jan-15 19:34:24

As for Nick Clegg and his party curbing some of the tories' would-be excesses, one has to wonder how much of that was down to truly held beliefs or just petty vindictiveness.

POGS Tue 20-Jan-15 19:35:36

Surely if you want to 'vote for none of the above' you can do so by simply not voting.

Putting a cross against 'none of the above' on a ballot paper is a futile exercise and a waste of time.

granjura Tue 20-Jan-15 19:39:44

I'd love to be able to discuss this with Shirley Williams- the one female potitician I've always so admired. What she thinks about tuition fees.

rosequartz Tue 20-Jan-15 19:41:21

I think spoiled ballot papers are counted so they could be assumed to be a protest, whilst just not voting could be construed as not taking any interest in politics at all.

POGS Tue 20-Jan-15 19:46:03

Ana

We would have fewer MP's saving the country a lot of money for one thing if the Lib Dems had complied with their agreement when the 'marriage' was first created if I am not mistaken. One could call it 'throwing the dummy out of the pram' because the country voted against the Alternative Vote in the referendum.