Gransnet forums

News & politics

William and Harry - I'm puzzled.

(298 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 27-Feb-15 15:54:22

I usually support the Royal Family but I don't 'get' William and Harry's decision making (or their advisers') when it comes to their future roles.

William seems desperate to put off being a full time Royal even though the Queen is understandably cutting back on her engagements and Prince Charles is no spring chicken himself. OK, he's in Japan at the moment but becoming a full time Air Ambulance pilot will reduce his Royal duties even more and sounds like a bit of a jolly to me.

Harry, on the other hand, has a 'proper job' in the Army but he's going to give it up later this year to concentrate on his charity work and pursue his interests in conservation and wildlife hmm

Leticia Fri 27-Feb-15 17:39:57

Who wouldn't want to live in Anmer Hall rather than Kensington Palace? confused Kensington Palace isn't a home, however much is spent on it. Much better for children to be brought up in the country. I can't see why he can't combine jobs and get plenty of flying.
I also can't see why Harry should stay in the army- why?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Feb-15 17:43:56

Crikey CelticRose! You know a lot about him. I didn't know he had a Transylvanian village. I hope it's more exciting than Poundchester. (have I got that name right?)

CelticRose Fri 27-Feb-15 18:11:48

Jingll... grin

CelticRose Fri 27-Feb-15 18:21:28

Jingl.. The grin was for Wimoweh remark about lions. What is Poundchester, though? When you spend a lot of time watching tv or listening to radio or surfing the net, you pick up all sorts of useless info that resurfaces when someone says a certain word or phrase. Also noted that he is trying to amalgamate all of his charities under one financial umbrella. I supose it makes it easier for the number crunchers.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Feb-15 18:25:37

it's Poundbury! It's such a boring place! (in Dorset)

Yes. I thought the lion thing was quite good. smile

roastchicken

CelticRose Fri 27-Feb-15 18:30:20

Does he run it as a business and claim tax relief. Sorry. Still don`t know about Poundberry.

Anniebach Fri 27-Feb-15 18:36:55

Why should we be proud of two men who have done little , they both had jobs same as many men but with much longer holiday leave , they accept all the goodies which comes from being born a Windsor but choose a life doing their own thing , sorry but I see two rather spoiled and self centred men

Greyduster Fri 27-Feb-15 18:44:36

I think the problem with Harry's army career is that the powers that be won't let him have one.

Leticia Fri 27-Feb-15 19:04:33

That is why I wonder why OP wants him in the army- rather a headache for those in charge- much better to have charity work.
I just feel sorry for them- being born a Windsor isn't something I would wish on anyone! They can't have a normal life.

merlotgran Fri 27-Feb-15 19:27:42

I think Harry should stay in the army because that is what he's been trained for. It's not a headache for anyone 'in charge' because he has already done two tours of duty in Afghanistan so won't be required to put himself in any more firing lines.

A service career has many options.

He's keen to undertake charity work in Africa so he's lucky to be able to make that sort of choice. I have a feeling he will ease into a more supportive role (for Prince Charles) than William who seems to want to keep his Royal role at arms length for as long as possible.

annodomini Fri 27-Feb-15 19:30:02

The Queen was in the ATS. I've seen pictures of her driving a truck towards the end of the war. She was only 13 at the beginning of the war, so just 19 when it ended and the ATS didn't take recruits under 17.

Leticia Fri 27-Feb-15 19:41:06

But everyone signs up for the army for a set number of years. I have looked it up and if they join when Harry joined they do 10 yrs and it is the most common to leave aged 26/27yrs. If they don't, they have to sign up again and that depends if the army wants them. I don't see why he should be different.

merlotgran Fri 27-Feb-15 19:47:35

Well let's hope he finds fulfillment in his chosen endeavours and doesn't end up like his Uncle Andy

absent Fri 27-Feb-15 19:49:57

I expect the two princes regard their lives as normal, just as most of us, with our divergent lifestyles, regard our own lives as normal. We tend to take what we know best as the norm.

Anniebach Fri 27-Feb-15 21:44:33

It was thought if William chose to live part of the year in the countryside he would have settled on the estate Charles owns in Herefordshire, or there is the estate in Wales too

Leticia Fri 27-Feb-15 22:13:39

Highgrove is quite small- I don't know where he would live on it. It is in Gloucestershire. I wouldn't have thought either Gloucestershire or Wales would be very practical when working for the East Anglian Air Ambulance! Herefordshire - if there is anywhere there is even worse.

Leticia Fri 27-Feb-15 22:15:15

Why would he end up like his Uncle? I have a very strange Uncle- it has never occurred to me that I might follow him.

merlotgran Fri 27-Feb-15 22:37:19

Leticia. It's been well documented that some Royals with too much time on their hands have very often caused embarrassment to the establishment.

I like Harry but he's often shown himself to be a bit of a handful.

Leticia Fri 27-Feb-15 22:41:33

I think charities and conservation are very time consuming if done properly, which I assume they are if they are going to be his job. You appear to think they are not important and he can drop in for a couple of hours when he feels like it! I volunteer one day a week -for one thing in that line. I restrict it to one day, but it could take over my life quite easily!

Eloethan Fri 27-Feb-15 22:42:48

I think they're all a waste of money.

Leticia Fri 27-Feb-15 22:49:11

So it is all to the good that they are having jobs, Eloethan.
The problem seems to be that Merlotgran thinks William shouldn't have a job, even though he might have 30 yrs before he comes to the throne and the old fashioned view that the army is a 'proper job',but working for charities isn't.

Leticia Fri 27-Feb-15 22:53:30

I think all the thousands of people who work for charities or conservation might be a bit put out to think that they have 'time on their hands' when they are working flat out.

merlotgran Fri 27-Feb-15 23:04:13

You're making too much of this, Leticia.

William can hardly say he wants to work 'as near to full time as possible' for the Air Ambulance Service and still carry out Royal duties to support the Queen and Prince Charles. Like it or not that is the job he's been prepared for and we are paying for it.

I am not comparing Harry's high profile charity work with anyone else working for charity. You're doing that....not me.

Leticia Sat 28-Feb-15 07:16:01

I just think you should leave them alone. By accident of birth they have ended up where most of us would absolutely hate to be and yet you think that William should be forced to live in London with a young family, doing royal duties for decades before he needs to, and Harry should be stuck in the army because he chose it at 18yrs.
If William wants to escape to Norfolk, a much better place for a young family, using his training and expertise to do a worthwhile jobs then good luck to him! He can prepare while he works- it will be a very different monarchy.
Likewise Harry has given the army 10 yrs- wants to leave at the age most of his contemporiries are leaving and is using his skills for worthwhile causes. I expect that charities are keen to recruit ex forces people with the right skills of being able to organise, motivate etc. He may be high profile, he would be high profile whatever he did, but I image that is all to the advantage of the charity. The problem appears to lie in the fact that you don't think that working for a charity is a 'proper' job- rather that he is is going to drop in once in a while and not do any 'real' work.
I am not really bothered- I just think it is unfair to be so critical when they are being useful instead of just 'preparing'.

Gagagran Sat 28-Feb-15 07:22:08

Hear! Hear! Leticia -well said!