Gransnet forums

News & politics

For the undecided among Gransnetters

(52 Posts)
AshTree Wed 06-May-15 20:59:21

A handy little tool to help you make up your mind: TickBox wink

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 08:11:37

STB, best to relax today, have a sleep, after all you will be up all night watching the results come in, Won't you ?

GrannyTwice Thu 07-May-15 08:11:48

Can someone explain why we shouldn't post about our strongly held views? If you see a thread with this title, what on earth did you expect?

soontobe Thu 07-May-15 08:15:34

Yes, Bogoff, forgotten that.

Iam64 Thu 07-May-15 09:03:00

I'm not undecided. I agree with the comments from GrannyTwice and JessM. I genuinely fear for public services, including health, education, housing and social care. The gap between those of us who are ok and those of us who aren't is increasing. That isn't good for anybody.
I'm very fortunate in having been healthy enough to work throughout my life, to save towards my old age. I'm ok, as are most members of my family. That doesn't mean I feel smug or self satisfied, as appears to be the case with some members of society. "I'm alright Jack" grump!

Ariadne Thu 07-May-15 09:15:32

Why not indeed, GT? It is good to hear all sides, and all thoughts on our future.

But we know, from past experience, that it will result in posters taking comments to heart, hurt feelings, accusations and general discontent. Nevertheless, it is all worth it - the more we hear and read, the less blinkered we will be in our decisions.

JessM Thu 07-May-15 09:17:53

NHS is still one of the best in the world but it is under threat. Compare with the US where health care for the poor is still minimal and infant mortality shockingly high. Or Ireland where you have to pay for your GP, pay for your prescriptions, and pay for many other things. Or Australia where about half the population pay a lot of money out every month for health insurance.
My son worked for a few weeks in a public hospital in Australia and found it quite distressing.
Make no mistake, the Tories gaze at some of these systems with envy, and a gleam in their eyes.

thatbags Thu 07-May-15 09:33:49

Agree with your post of 0810, GT, but I don't think those who choose not to vote today should complain when things are not as they want (seems even Russell Brand has changed his tune about voting apathy). At least those who vote but don't get who they vote for have tried. I do hope there's a high turnout today.

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 09:34:48

I agree with G2 that anyone's views are perfectly valid and wothy of posting, providing they don't get personal, which is a risk with such a cintentious subject.

I also agree that "It's only just begun" I seems very likely that no one party will get a majority and we will be in limbo for some while.

I don't pretend to understand politics, I do have opinions, perhaps not well founded, so I have to decide on personal experience.

I am concerned that the SNP will become a significant power in English decision making, whilst we have no say in Scotland. Perhaps someone more politically aware can enlighten me.

Brendawymms Thu 07-May-15 09:34:58

Came up with candidate I would not vote for. Perhaps it's clear I vote from the heart not head!

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 09:58:52

cintentious ??? must get brain and fingers to communicate - contentious

Tegan Thu 07-May-15 10:05:53

Had David Milliband been leader of the Labour Party I wouldn't have the slightest doubt about voting for them today. As it is I'm still undecided as to what to do. I shall vote Labour for the council elections because I've just had a flyer come through the door and I recognise one of the candidates from way back when I was in the Labour Party. The strangest thing about this election is the lack of contact with any of the parties..leaflets, canvassing etc. It will be interesting to see if there is anyone at the polling station today. It's been a strange election campaign all round imo and I can't understand my own lack of emotion as regards who wins [maybe it's me getting old?].

Mishap Thu 07-May-15 10:09:46

We have been made many promise and we all know that in practice it is often not possible to keep them. I find it insulting to our intelligence. If they would only say what their guiding principles are and that they will hold to these as best they may, given the circumstances they are faced with at the time, I would find that more honest. But the media have forced them into soundbites and improbable promises.

Marmight Thu 07-May-15 10:13:12

I had a visit from the Tory candidate a couple of weeks ago - at least he made an effort. Labour, SNP and Lib Dem leaflets came through the letterbox on Tuesday ...... just off to vote confused. I really don't think I could bear having Ed Milliband in No.10; I may have to emigrate!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-May-15 10:21:53

AshTree no. It told me to vote for the other lot though. confused

As if I didn't already feel enough guilt for voting selfishly.

But I'm fairly sure I'm doing the best for everyone.

Marmight Thu 07-May-15 10:55:29

Well, that's it, the deed is done, the die is cast. The village is buzzing and there are people about who I have not seen since last year. It's like a big party - I was sorely tempted to burst the SNP balloons [wicked marmite]wink

durhamjen Thu 07-May-15 10:59:46

Excellent post, JessM. I agree with every word.
Bogoff, do you live in a different country to the rest of us?
You are joking if you think it will get back to "normal" after Friday.
Anyway, politics is normal for some of us.

soontobe Thu 07-May-15 11:02:26

Who does a high turnout usually favour? Tories, or not anymore?

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 11:19:17

durhamjen, I live in rural England, and on reflection, no I don't think there is a dogs chance of it getting back to normal, but after the event i will go bury my head in the sand as there will be nothing I can do about it.

AshTree Thu 07-May-15 11:21:03

I think most people vote for selfish reasons, jings - and anyway, our own (selfish) opinions are surely what are best for everyone else grin. Aren't they?

soontobe Thu 07-May-15 11:30:12

No, AshTree.
Your own reasons can be at odds with what might be best for the country. I wish that it were not sometimes.
But none of us knows how everything is going to pan out.

Ana Thu 07-May-15 11:38:43

Oh, soontobe...grin

GrannyTwice Thu 07-May-15 11:39:25

I think the use of the word selfish is interesting - if you vote in what you think is for the greater good ( even if your own immediate best interests may not be served by that) is that selfish because it makes you feel better? You could argue it is.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-May-15 11:41:10

No. That's noble. envy

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-May-15 11:42:22

I had better get my arse in gear and get down there. Before any more soul searching gives me a headache. hmm

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 12:03:56

Just been past our polling station - doesn't look busy sad