Gransnet forums

News & politics

A thread for the all-nighters

(339 Posts)
whitewave Thu 07-May-15 10:12:23

Thought I would post this up for those of us who are hoping for the stamina to stay up!

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 10:15:00

Not sure what to eat/drink to sustain myself? I do have a bottle of prosecco in readiness but don't think I will be opening it for a few days.

Charleygirl Thu 07-May-15 10:17:24

Normally I would stay up but I have to be up and out early (for me) tomorrow am so I doubt if I will manage it- I do not have the stamina nowadays. I may leave the TV running during the night so that when I get up to go to the loo I can do a catch up.

Teetime Thu 07-May-15 10:19:55

I dare say we will drop off first then get up about 1.30 DH is usually agog!

soontobe Thu 07-May-15 10:29:02

I wasnt planning to eat or drink anything.
My plan is, to get up about 2ish[when there are more than 6 results played endlessly on a loop], and back to bed, and up again about 4.30am?

I intend to sleep.
Are you intending to be awake all night whitewave?

Ana Thu 07-May-15 10:29:34

Can't see the point, not many results come in during the wee small hours. Better to get up early on Friday morning.

GillT57 Thu 07-May-15 10:40:09

I plan on staying up as best as I can to watch it unfold, although I am going to watch the play being screened live from the Donmar Theatre on Channel 4 ( I think), it looks good; there is just about every good British actor you can name, and is set live, in a polling station on an election evening, so will be a a bit like watching a parallel universe unfold! After that plan on going to bed with a pot of tea, plumped up pillows and watch as much as I can before dropping off, then will catch up as I wake up in the early hours. I am tempted to have a small bottle of prosecco to celebrate as certain candidates lose/fail to gain their targeted seats. i.e. Alex Salmond and Nigel Farage. I am most concerned, like most of us, and all the political pundits, at the potential disruption caused by SNP upsurge and will be interested to see how they fare.

Ariadne Thu 07-May-15 10:49:21

I really liked the look of that, GillT57 but I'd have to watch it on my own upstairs, in bed, which means I'd be asleep in 5 minutes! So I shall record it.

Theseus will be an all night election watcher - I really don't understand it at all. But he is fascinated by the endless repetition minutiae of it all. Dear man.

GrannyTwice Thu 07-May-15 11:44:52

I'm staying in a hotel as I'm working. DH is coming up to join me. We'll have a nice meal the go to bed with the TV on and doze off and on through the night. how the hell am I going to be fit to work tomorrow

rosequartz Thu 07-May-15 12:36:42

If I drank a bottle of prosecco I would either fall fast asleep or wouldn't care less who won! grin

How about a 'bell' or 'buzzer' emoticon so that if someone falls asleep another Gnetter could post it and wake them up?

kittylester Thu 07-May-15 16:24:26

Dh is so intent on staying up that he has taken tomorrow off!! I think it will be days before we need to get excited one way or another!

Ana Thu 07-May-15 16:36:34

You're right kitty, it'll probably be something of an anticlimax...hmm

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 17:40:05

38 Degree asked for my opinion (me and thousands of others!!!) what I would like to happen if there is a tie in the election. Don't forget to fill yours in and be heard.

kittylester Thu 07-May-15 17:52:50

I didn't get that one whitewave and they usually ask me about lots of things. confused

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 17:53:57

DH has just suggested an Indian - had thought of a tuna (fresh) stir fry but soooooo tempted oh oh oh

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 17:55:02

It many turn up in a minute kitty

ninathenana Thu 07-May-15 18:01:37

Don't see the point. Knowing sooner rather than later won't change anything.

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 18:06:25

nina no it isn't about knowing who is going to win but it is asking for your opinion as to what should happen should there be a tie. We know that the press will undoubtedly give their opinion as to what should happen but they don't count it is voters' opinions that matter.

GrannyTwice Thu 07-May-15 18:13:50

I think if you are really a political animal you just want to know what's happening whilst it's happening. I wouldn't have missed a minute of the night of the 1997 election ( not that this one is in that league of course) and for those who couldn't wait for an end to 18 years of the Conservatives, sharing it as it happened was really amazing. 3 am phone calls to each other - did you see Portillo etc. See some of you later - <waves to whitewave>

GrannyTwice Thu 07-May-15 18:15:27

I think I've got a bit confused here but anyway my post still stands

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 18:17:36

g2 Guardian final poll thingy has Labour 1 point ahead of the Tories.

loopylou Thu 07-May-15 18:31:21

Absolutely not going to stay up /watch / or have anything to do with the TV until tomorrow morning.
I'm the least politically-minded person you can think of.
The whole Election shebang has convinced me that politicians are a totally untrustworthy rabble.
Heaven help us all with what sort of Government we end up with!

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 18:35:03

I was brought up at my Grandfather's knee who was extremely political and I seem to have imbibed it from a really early age and have been very political all my life. I find it fascinating - not just UK politics but around the world as well.

loopylou Thu 07-May-15 18:59:44

I probably should be ashamed of my apathy blush
My parents were staunch Tories and having tried to keep abreast of politics I just struggle big time with the hypocrisy and as for listening to Prime Minister's Question Time- I've had to stop because it drives me mad.

whitewave Thu 07-May-15 19:19:30

loop it is whatever rocks your boat really. I can remember being with my grandparents outside the polling station taking people's numbers from quite a tiny age and throughout my life have