Gransnet forums

News & politics

How do you feel about the noise young children make when playing?

(38 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 07-May-15 10:22:01

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3069900/Police-question-children-aged-four-six-45-minutes-neighbour-complains-playing-street.html

I love the sound of children playing. I live near a primary school and can hear them every playtime and on the way to/from school.

When I was a teacher some of the people in a nearby office complained that our children (KS1 and FS) were too noisy in the playground and disturbed them when they were having their cigarettes on the office fire escape.

When my DDs were 3 and 7 they used to play on the green outside of the house. One day the police arrived asking to see my children. I let them in and they said that they wanted to see my teenage children. I told them I didn't have teenagers just the little ones. The complainant had made it sound as if they were a gang of unruly teenagers screaming, shouting, swearing and damaging property.

As noise and it's acceptability is subjective I just wondered what others thought.

Bogoff Thu 07-May-15 18:17:51

Oh dear, I think I may be your DD's neighbour.

rascal Thu 07-May-15 18:20:17

It's lovely to watch children playing, quite interesting to see the difference of the personalities. We fostered for many years so there was plenty of noise coming from our garden!

Iam64 Thu 07-May-15 18:44:10

whenim64 - the image of your grandsons bouncing on the trampoline and saying hello to the grumpy man made me laugh. Thanks for that one. I'm with whitewave, the British have a very odd attitude to children at times, well some of the Brits that is. So much negative shouting goes on, such a pity.

absent Thu 07-May-15 20:28:29

Didn't the policeman have something better to do?

Iam64 Thu 07-May-15 20:58:09

I'm sure they did absent. I do wonder if we have the full story

ginny Fri 08-May-15 08:54:35

I love to hear children playing and laughing. I also love parents who teach their children when it is appropriate to shout and run around ( garden, playground, parks ) and when it isn't (restaurants. libraries).

glammanana Fri 08-May-15 09:10:44

I can listen to little ones all day as long as there is no squealing which goes through me,all mine have played in the back garden for hours at a time during holidays and inviting in their friends,when I was a stay at home mum for a couple of years I looked after my friends boys who where the same age as DS1 so most days during the school holidays I had 4 boys aged between 5-9 plus DD and a baby all playing in the back garden with all sorts of Action Man/Stars Wars/Jungle games going on plus the bonus of football matches in the field behind we of course had one "Victor Meldrew" neighbour but I think you find he/she lives in most area's tbh.

ayse Fri 08-May-15 09:26:33

Children have to be able to let off steam. As a child a played in the unmade up street with all the other youngsters but this is not possible today with the large number of cars and fears of abduction etc.
I live in a groups of flats with grass areas in front, well enclosed away from the road. There is a big sign 'no ball games' discouraging children to play outside. I'm of the opinion that children need to supervised from a distance to ensure they are not hugely noisy and do little damage BUT playing outside and finding their place is a way of building confidence and independence.
Long may children play outside and bother the 'Victor Meldrews'

TriciaF Fri 08-May-15 11:07:39

I like to hear them laughing and shouting too, but agree the squealers are too piercing.
And they can keep it up for ages! I couldn't.

Bogoff Fri 08-May-15 11:51:53

Since I got hearing aids the sqealing is painful, turn them off but usually too late. When our DD's 5yr old son and our DS's 3yr old daughter get together the volume of screeching is against heath & safety. smile
Ok I admit it, I am a VM.

AshTree Fri 08-May-15 12:04:39

There is a senior school on the other side of our road with a very large playing field that extends to virtually opposite our house. I never ever mind the sound of the children during break and lunch, in fact I love to hear them, it's such a happy sound usually!
What gets on my nerves, though, is when they have outdoor sports/PE sessions and the Sports Teacher will take up his position in the corner farthest from the school, right opposite us, and yell directions to the pupils at the top of his voice. Naturally this suits the school as his racket (excuse the pun) doesn't disturb those in the classroom. We, however, are forced indoors on a sunny day, with the windows shut angry.

rosesarered Fri 08-May-15 12:05:36

I like to hear children laughing and playing, but apart from our own DGC where we live now, there aren't any children, or any dogs barking ( a neighbours friendly cat does it's rounds every day and is often to be found sat in our kitchen.)However we live near a pub and a church, so there is noise, beer deliveries and a few jolly revellers(country pub so no antisocial behaviour.)Also bells twice on Sunday from the church, that's ok in fact we like a certain amount of noise.
nobody likes to hear children screaming and shouting though.