Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queries about the EU referendum

(41 Posts)
GrannyTwice Wed 27-May-15 08:03:39

Now that we can forget about the HRA for a bit, we can concentrate on the EU Referendum. The question of the franchise has been sorted ( I don't think the amendment to the voting age will get through) I'd like to know the following
A) is there going to be a minimum % turnout specified ? I know this happens in some countries
B) is there going to be a minimum % voting in favour specified or just a simple majority? Again this happens in some countries
C) what if England voted to leave but any of the devolved nations voted to stay in - could it trigger another independence referendum?

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 13:25:58

GransnetAdmin do you think there might be a chance to get someone knowledgable but none political to answer our questions? That way Gransnetters could be the most knowledgeable people voting smile

Ana Wed 27-May-15 13:33:59

What's happened to whitewave's thread? She put a lot of effort into finding out as much information as possible about the EU!

soontobe Wed 27-May-15 13:49:42

www.gransnet.com/forums/politics/1215979-The-EU-and-how-it-works

soontobe Wed 27-May-15 13:50:41

Gracesgran. I think that you would have to email them. It is unlikely that they are going to see your request on here.

Elegran Wed 27-May-15 13:54:24

Here is Whitewave's EU thread. www.gransnet.com/forums/politics/1215979-The-EU-and-how-it-works

i think it should be bumped every so often so that it doesn't disappear.

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 15:07:34

Good point soontobe. I have reported myself with a note to admin grin

soontobe Wed 27-May-15 15:18:48

grin

durhamjen started a thread titled The Queens Speech. Which seems to be taken over at present by gransnet HQ who have put House of Commons spokespeople on there.
I dont know whether you could put a post on there?

whitewave Wed 27-May-15 17:27:30

In the interests of transparency and in order that we can make a more informed decision I feel very strongly that the report commissioned by the Bank of England relating to the economic situation should the UK leave the EU be made available for public scrutiny before the referendum vote

GrannyTwice Wed 27-May-15 17:46:19

Re the point about entitlement to benefits. Our system used to be much more contribution based but has moved now to mainly being a means tested system. The unintended consequence of this so far as EU migrants are concerned is that it paradoxically makes us more attractive. That's interesting isn't it - sort of a sowing the seeds of our own destruction. BTW anyone else a bit confused about the HofC people? Its really about the mechanics of the system isn't it - not politics at all in any meaningful sense. I'm sure it's useful for some but me, I love a good bunfight debate instead about the issues. I am finding their tone a bit patronising and anyway, I know all that stuff anyway

Ana Wed 27-May-15 18:03:23

Riverwalk and I did express reservations, but were roundly set upon! grin The whole concept of the thread is rather odd, IMO, and GNHQ should have started a new HOC topic, not tagged on to dj's link to what she'd like the Queen's Speech to have contained. Not that I read it.

GrannyTwice Wed 27-May-15 18:09:58

Have you seen what HQ have said on my Real a queens a speech thread? FFS!

Ana Wed 27-May-15 18:11:12

Yes, I can hardly believe it! hmm

soontobe Wed 27-May-15 18:11:42

grin
I couldnt believe it!

Ana Wed 27-May-15 18:17:08

Why is it funny?

GrannyTwice Wed 27-May-15 18:25:27

Arts and Crafts Board might be worth a look