Gransnet forums

News & politics

Amazon and tax.

(34 Posts)
durhamjen Fri 26-Jun-15 21:38:14

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-3139123/Amazon-pays-just-11-9m-tax-5-3bn-worth-UK-sales.html

A Daily Mail article showing just how much tax Amazon has paid on UK sales.
I hope HMRC can look into their accounts and accountants.

durhamjen Mon 08-Feb-16 20:14:28

Anyone else watching Dispatches?
Greg Wise video-ing people offering him ways to beat the taxman.

gillybob Mon 08-Feb-16 21:16:02

I have the DGC on Mondays and Tuesdays so it's impossible for me to see anything in TV. I was planning on watching it on catch up Durhamjen although I could feel my blood boiling just watching the short preview. Not sure if my stress levels can take it.

durhamjen Mon 08-Feb-16 22:34:36

You must watch it gillybob. I will be interested to see what comes out of it. HMRC refused to comment on it.
It just shows that the government has not changed its ideas at all. HMRC still goes after small fry, not the people who arrange these scams.
Greg Wise shows his footage to a tax lawyer. The numbers involved in these schemes are rather large. I do not see how all these accountants can get away with it now. There was one who told him that there were another 111 accountants just like him doing the same.
I expect HMRC to ask for a list. One of them also said that people who used to be in number 10 were involved.

durhamjen Tue 09-Feb-16 17:55:55

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/02/09/tax-avoidance-does-not-work-unless-youre-a-big-business-when-its-just-fine/

About the Dispatches programme.

durhamjen Tue 09-Feb-16 18:36:10

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/08/government-job-amazon-executive-power-government-tax-avoiding-corporations

The government is now giving a non-executive post to Doug Gurr, who was an Amazon executive.
The tax advisers they have include not a single person who wants tax fairness, but lots who work for accountants who have helped tax dodgers.
Is this right? Is it fair? Margaret Hodge doesn't think so.
Why should tax dodgers be rewarded?

petra Wed 10-Feb-16 19:53:11

On channel 4 news tonight. You couldn't make this up.
The company that own the buildings that the inland revenue use haven't paid any corporation tax.
They have recieved 2.7 billion pounds of tax payers money since 2001.
I wish I hadn't heard that.

durhamjen Wed 10-Feb-16 22:35:09

Do you mean you wish you hadn't heard that, or that the company had not used an accountant who helped them fiddle their taxes?
I think it's better if we do hear these things, and the more often the better, so that people will wake up to what has been going on and get angry enough to try and do something about it.

petra Thu 11-Feb-16 08:29:55

DJ. I meant I wish I hadn't heard it. I feel powerless now. We are being shit on from a great height and there's nothing we can do.
I know you will say we have the vote, but I've lost faith in all of them.