Gransnet forums

News & politics

Amazon and tax.

(33 Posts)
durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 13:37:30

This is an amazing TED talk by the man who started Amazon.

www.ted.com/talks/nick_hanauer_beware_fellow_plutocrats_the_pitchforks_are_coming

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 11:24:05

Same here, granjura. Even when they said they would pay tax, I thought I would wait and see how much before I started using my Kindle again.
Seems I was right.

granjura Sat 27-Jun-15 09:53:35

Exactly. Mind you, I know many people who think that their tax policy is disgusting and unfair, and then are back on the net ordering from them 2 mins later. I don't use them- even though it would make life easier at times.

FarNorth Fri 26-Jun-15 23:23:30

Do you believe it is lies Ana? If not, do you have a view about it?

My view is : If Amazon is paying taxes fairly, in whatever country they are located, then they should make that clear.
If George Osborne does not believe that Amazon is paying UK taxes fairly, then he should take action on it.

durhamjen Fri 26-Jun-15 22:44:25

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/06/25/the-big-tax-question-on-amazon-remains/

He says exactly what I think about it. Luxembourg Amazon says it had a loss! In that case Amazon should close the Luxembourg office.

durhamjen Fri 26-Jun-15 22:30:01

"Amazon’s booming UK business paid just £11.9m of tax last year, while the online retailer’s Luxembourg unit took £5.3bn of sales from British internet shoppers without being subject to UK tax, according to company filings.

The Amazon group posted a strong UK performance in 2014, with overall takings rising by more than 14% to £5.3bn. However, its British-based Amazon.co.uk Limited subsidiary recorded a profit of just £34.4m and tax of £11.9m, according to results filed at Companies House this week."

They are still trying to fiddle their taxes.

Ana Fri 26-Jun-15 21:46:36

But surely it must be all lies if it's in the DM? Or have things changed...confused

durhamjen Fri 26-Jun-15 21:38:14

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-3139123/Amazon-pays-just-11-9m-tax-5-3bn-worth-UK-sales.html

A Daily Mail article showing just how much tax Amazon has paid on UK sales.
I hope HMRC can look into their accounts and accountants.