Gransnet forums

News & politics

Finding it hard to make ends meet

(39 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 17-Jul-15 19:17:41

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3165210/I-never-expected-watching-pennies-age-Tory-MP-90-000-sparks-fury-claiming-needs-10-pay-rise.html

My heart bleeds for him.

durhamjen Mon 20-Jul-15 18:54:31

Maybe footballers shouldn't get as much as they do, rose. In fact, delete that "maybe".

vampirequeen Mon 20-Jul-15 18:56:15

I've read the thread but I can't see where whitewave wished for a Communist society.

rosesarered Mon 20-Jul-15 18:56:26

Should anyone think I have huge amounts of dosh, they would be wrong ( very wrong) but there is so much griping going on about pay rises and salaries etc. market forces and all that.

vampirequeen Mon 20-Jul-15 18:58:21

I wasn't griping about his pay rise. The OP is a comment on his inability to live on £90K a year.

rosesarered Mon 20-Jul-15 19:00:24

market forces Djen, re footballers, and anyone else who earns mega bucks.

rosesarered Mon 20-Jul-15 19:04:57

VQ, perhaps he gambles/has expensive commitments/ a champagne lifestyle who knows? my heart doesn't bleed for him, but neither could I vilify him for stating it, because wealth is all relative.

rosesarered Mon 20-Jul-15 19:06:09

Maybe people should stop reading the Daily Mail it just makes them permanently angry about all kinds of things.

vampirequeen Mon 20-Jul-15 19:13:09

Has it ever occurred to you that some people might just have their own opinions and not simply be regurgitating the editorial opinions of the newspapers they read? A lot of people struggle to make ends meet in this country yet a man who by most standards has a very good income and who is in the public eye by his own choice complains that he cannot make ends meet. He brought this subject into the public domain and can only expect that people will form their own opinions regarding his complaint.

rosesarered Mon 20-Jul-15 19:15:33

Yes, but reading it in the Daily Mail obviously bothered you.

rosesarered Mon 20-Jul-15 19:17:29

I gave up reading the papers some time ago, it saves your sanity and keeps the blood pressure low.

Riverwalk Mon 20-Jul-15 19:17:35

There is never any shortage of would-be MPs - they fight tooth and nail to be selected and elected.

It's a bit rich to then complain that it's hard to make ends meet on the known well in advance salary, perks, and allowances.

durhamjen Mon 20-Jul-15 20:25:12

The government wants to curtail the FOI act. If it wasn't for the FOI act we would not know how much all these get in salary and benefits, etc. Or should we call it welfare?

It's well known that the happiest societies are those that are more equal, so perhaps market forces should not be allowed to rule our lives.
Many poorer people would probably like to become MPs. Lots in the north come from working class roots, and are not parachuted in, like those from London. Perhaps we ought to go back to that, and be allowed to choose our own MPs.

vampirequeen Mon 20-Jul-15 21:02:15

MPs should have had a life before they go into the House. Not school, uni, a research/lobbyist job, assistant then MP. If they go into politics that way then they have only a limited knowledge/understanding of the real world which can't be a good thing for someone who wields power.