Gransnet forums

News & politics

Finding it hard to make ends meet

(38 Posts)
FarNorth Fri 17-Jul-15 21:33:03

None of the MPs have any option about accepting the rise - it is going to be paid to them.
Some have already said that they will be donating the extra pay to charity and / or community enterprise in their constituencies.

Lots of people have responsibilities such as you mention, rosesarered, but they are not all receiving high salaries or 10% raises, such as MPs are. They are getting no sympathy at all from the government.

( Aren't you on the wrong Tory bashing thread? - vq started this thread, how could she be on the wrong one?)

Luckygirl Fri 17-Jul-15 21:17:07

Indeed absent - and I think there is some suggestion that after this rise they will be treated as public sector workers.

glassortwo Fri 17-Jul-15 21:11:52

absent totally agree!!!!!!!

absent Fri 17-Jul-15 20:49:57

However, what we do know, is that public sector workers are being limited to a 1% pay rise. MPs are just as much public sector workers yet their pay rise is 10%. It doesn't seem fair to me.

rosesarered Fri 17-Jul-15 20:32:30

I think my point is.... That we don't know what financial commitments this man has to pay out for, and also saying that ' a lot of people have to manage on far less ' while a true comment, has nothing to do with the salary of an MP. we know that cleaners/ delivery men etc have less, but some people also earn more than an MP as well.does everyone who earns a massive salary not deserve it?if we are not careful, it just becomes the rhetoric of envy.

rosesarered Fri 17-Jul-15 20:27:40

Oh, 90K is a lot all right, although after tax it won't be anything like that.
All wealth ( or lack of it) is relative.
MP's are not in politics ' for the money' if they wanted a huge salary they would go into business.I think they should only accept half of the proposed pay rise, but some will accept it all, some will not,but not all MP's are very wealthy and it will be those people who accept the pay rise.MP's from all the political parties will no doubt accept the rise in the end.

Luckygirl Fri 17-Jul-15 20:13:29

We have never had or aspired to such riches, but did not go short. I'd like to see him try and manage on our annual income, which is less than a quarter of his. We want for nothing.

vampirequeen Fri 17-Jul-15 19:55:49

I can't work out if you're joking or you really don't think that £90K a year isn't a decent income and that it's insensitive of him to complain when most people in this country have to manage on far less and won't be in line for a 10% payrise.

rosesarered Fri 17-Jul-15 19:47:49

Also, there will be a lot of tax to be paid out of that salary.

rosesarered Fri 17-Jul-15 19:46:56

To be fair, we don't know what commitments this man has, teenagers at school to be paid for, elderly parents in nursing homes also to be paid for, or a previous wife and family to support.
if he is saying he has to exist by eating beans on toast everyday that is a different matter.

vampirequeen Fri 17-Jul-15 19:32:56

I'm not bashing him as a Tory. I'm bashing him as someone who believes he's struggling to survive on £90K a year.

rosesarered Fri 17-Jul-15 19:20:21

Aren't you on the wrong Tory bashing thread?

vampirequeen Fri 17-Jul-15 19:17:41

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3165210/I-never-expected-watching-pennies-age-Tory-MP-90-000-sparks-fury-claiming-needs-10-pay-rise.html

My heart bleeds for him.