Gransnet forums

News & politics

A bloated welfare state ?

(34 Posts)
Questiontime Fri 28-Aug-15 12:27:22

We are told we have a bloated Welfare State, we dont!!!. it’s a myth to get votes, and it worked in May.

Welfare spending on State pensions represents 46 per cent of the welfare budget the highest proportion, yet the State pension cannot and must not be regarded as a benefit, because it has already been paid for, the State pension should be paid as a right, and im wondering how many Tory voting pensioners realised their State pension takes 46 per cent of the budget when they voted for David Cameron ?

The Winter Fuel payment represents just 2 per cent of the Welfare budget, and Pensions Credit just 5 per cent....Income Support represents 5 per cent of the budget, and Employment Support Allowance is just 2 per cent, with Job Seekers Allowance at just 3 per cent. Disability Living Allowance is just 8 per cent. And Housing Benefit is just 14 per cent, other benefits are even less by percentage....

And the reason for the Housing Benefit bill is because the Tory’s themselves under Margaret Thatcher in the 1980’s stopped building council houses completely, when Margaret Thatcher sold off council houses to existing tenants for 10 per cent the market value, and no more council houses have been built since then.

What the Tory’s have mounted is an ideological and merciless attack on the poor, the Tory’s are driven by their right wing ideology, nothing will derail them from their target, TV programmes like Benefits Street, have truly cornered the market in cheap, sensationalist, so-called entertainment, and people watch, then judge, then make it the whole.

In my view, this is part parcel of how and why David Cameron made it back into number 10. 36.7 per cent of the electorate, under 25 per cent of the population, assisted in securing David Cameron another 5 years in Government. 75 per cent of the country didn’t want Cameron back in number 10. This is a true vote of no confidence in the Government and in our totally undemocratic “first past the post” voting system, FPTP, is simply not fit for purpose.

Due to the Tory’s ideological and stringent cuts in welfare, these are affecting working as well as unemployed people, according to The Trussell Trust, over 1 million people now use food banks, and The Trussell Trust say this figure doesn’t include food banks run by other charities, and churches.

Anya Fri 28-Aug-15 20:45:07

Not bothered by all this 'jumping down throat' it just goes to show how some people just live to have a go grin

Galen Fri 28-Aug-15 21:12:56

I think this is a political propaganda post by a proprofessioal labour politition.
Probably male!

FarNorth Fri 28-Aug-15 21:23:09

Where does the "surplus" of £30 billion come from?, I asked several posts ago, and I haven't had any answer yet.

Questiontime Fri 28-Aug-15 21:33:27

FarNorth, look it up, I did!

Alea Fri 28-Aug-15 21:53:31

I have read through the OP, but would you mind repeating the question?

Anya Fri 28-Aug-15 22:37:37

It is exactly that Galen

He's tried it before. Very obvious.

rosequartz Fri 28-Aug-15 23:13:05

I don't know where the £30bn came from but I think I know where it went - Gransnetters have spent it all on wine and mainly [cake]

rosequartz Fri 28-Aug-15 23:13:48

Or even cupcake