Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jermy Corbyn elected

(1001 Posts)
Teetime Sat 12-Sep-15 11:45:58

Bugger it that's the next election lost.

Ana Sun 20-Sep-15 16:09:00

Can you explain why it's okay for foreign government railway companies to own railways in Britain but not our own government?

No. I haven't expressed an opinion on the matter so have no intention of explaining anything!

durhamjen Sun 20-Sep-15 16:18:07

In that case, there is no point in talking about Corbyn's ideas for rail company nationalisation, as you have no opinion on who owns rail companies.

rosequartz Sun 20-Sep-15 16:38:59

Re-nationalisation of the water industry next?
Taking the Severn Bridges back into public ownership and abolishing the toll?

When that happens I will get excited!

Unless he has been taken off to the Tower for not kneeling wink
If I knelt before the Queen I would have great difficulty getting up again as my knees would lock!

Ana Sun 20-Sep-15 16:42:00

I don't care how dismissive you are, durhamjen, I shall continue to post what I like. You don't own all the political threads.

rosequartz Sun 20-Sep-15 16:42:09

In that case, there is no point in talking about Corbyn's ideas for rail company nationalisation, as you have no opinion on who owns rail companies
But djen we have a great opportunity for discussing the pros and cons and convincing people of the rightness of public ownership.

I could express an opinion on the re-nationalisation of the rail companies but, as I so very rarely use the railways, should I do so? hmm

However, everyone uses water. It should belong to us all.

rosequartz Sun 20-Sep-15 16:45:30

Ana You may have very strong opinions on the railways, but you are quite right in that you don't have to air your opinions if you don't wish to.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 20-Sep-15 16:51:22

The East Coast Line was recently reprivatised despite being cheaper to run in house and remember we still pay towards the railways, they're not all paid for by the franchises. I signed up ages ago to the campaign to renationalise the railway because we will never get a decent public transport strategy without having control over the components.

I'm all for renationalising the utilities too. The companies have had long enough to show the country is not better off in private hands through increased competition.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 20-Sep-15 16:59:55

I would love to use the train when I do my solo visits to see my Mum several times a year. Unfortunately, the cheapest fare would cost me at least 3 times more than the coach fare, requires 3 changes compared with none and the journey takes just over an hour longer. It's cheaper to fly, except there's a journey to and from the airport to take into account. She's coming with my Step-Dad to stay with me next month and for the second time they're leaving the car at home and coming by coach.

whitewave Sun 20-Sep-15 17:00:07

The idea of nationalising them as contracts end has been around for quite some time.

durhamjen Sun 20-Sep-15 17:42:25

Most people are already convinced that the railways and water should come back into public ownership, roseq.
Maybe not on here, but does that matter?

"Anyway, how much of what Corbyn argues do most voters disagree with, if they stop to think? Do people approve of bewildering, high tariffs set by the cartel of energy companies, while thousands of elderly people die each winter of cold-related diseases? Do students and parents from middle- and low-income families want tuition fees?

Do people like paying ludicrous fares for signal-failure, delays and overcrowding on inept railways? Do people urge tax evasion by multinationals and billionaires, which they then subsidise with cuts to the NHS? Post-cold war, who exactly are we supposed to kill en masse with these expensive nuclear missiles? What is so good about the things Corbyn wants to drastically change?

Even more fundamental is the appeal to principle and morality, peace, justice and internationalism , which drove the Labour grassroots vote, and was spoken at the rally for refugees which Corbyn made his first engagement and for which this newspaper stands absolutely. Why not embrace those principles, or at least show an interest in the fact that hundreds of thousands of people just did? Which better reflects the Britain we want: Corbyn??s open your hearts or Cameron??s swarm?"

From an article in the Observer.

granjura Sun 20-Sep-15 17:42:52

Surely, if anaone makes a statement in a discussion, it is fair for others to question it and ask for clarification- otherwise it just becomes a useless shouting match? DJ was not at all dimissive, just politely asked 'why' - fair enough I believe.

Ana Sun 20-Sep-15 17:47:54

granjura, at no point have I ever posted that I'm of the opinion that 'it's okay for foreign government railway companies to own railways in Britain but not our own government'.

durhamjen was asking me to exlain something I hadn't said or implied.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Sep-15 17:50:45

I hope Labour don'tspend too much time, effort, and money making plans for the railways, or anything else. A lot could change in the next five years.

granjura Sun 20-Sep-15 17:52:09

OK I see- but it was read as 'implied, I suppose, because it is the case now- in a system you would prefer not to be changed. So I can see where DJ was coming from. Just like electricity, and other utilities, are owned by foreign companies now too.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Sep-15 17:52:25

...and Corbyn could definitely be off the scene.

whitewave Sun 20-Sep-15 17:52:45

Anyone using the commuter train from the SouthCoast to London must long for something better. It really is dreadful and standing for the full journey of at least an hour is not unusual, people must be exhausted even before they start work, because once in London they will have further to travel to get to their place of work.
I infrequently worked in the city before retiring and was always struck as to how people did it day after day, year in year out. At the very least when paying thousands for a season ticket you should expect a seat.

Ana Sun 20-Sep-15 17:55:08

Where did I say I'd prefer it not to be changed? confused

I'd like to know a lot more about the financial aspects to renationalisation before I jump in on either side.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Sep-15 17:56:47

Where would a labour government find the money to improve the railways? Without outside investment?

rosesarered Sun 20-Sep-15 18:00:52

Jingl... Make 'could' 'will be!'

durhamjen Sun 20-Sep-15 18:07:41

PQE, jingl, the same way the banks were bailed out.
Osborne has printed £175 billion so far.

durhamjen Sun 20-Sep-15 18:09:37

Foreign governments do own parts of our railways at the moment. Is that right or wrong, Ana?

Ana Sun 20-Sep-15 18:13:14

If you say so, it must be true, durhamjen.

rosesarered Sun 20-Sep-15 18:14:59

It's only wrong if they run them badly Djen.

rosesarered Sun 20-Sep-15 18:15:59

The railways were privatised because they were badly run in the first place.

durhamjen Sun 20-Sep-15 18:26:45

Come on, Ana, stop pretending. You can look it up if you do not believe me.
Dutch, German, French.
Not true, roses. They were privatised for the same reason as Thatcher closed the pits, to stop the unions.
Are you trying to say the railways are in a better state now?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion