Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government Watch

(527 Posts)
whitewave Wed 16-Sep-15 20:46:12

New year/term, same old poo.

First anti-democratic point - £600 to be charged for information under the FOI

Second anti-democratic point and something that far left MP David Davis described as Franco's Spain. The requirement under the trade union bill for names, movement, social media use, etc to be given to the police prior to any action taken.

durhamjen Thu 19-Nov-15 23:58:22

politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/11/19/dave-force-one-is-one-more-step-towards-a-governing-class-cu

Oh dear!
I wonder if he is going to fly anywhere near Syria.

durhamjen Fri 20-Nov-15 00:11:35

voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/11/19/no-confidence-in-cameron-petition-is-rejected-by-parliament/

And here's another surprise. What's the point of fighting for democracy?

durhamjen Sat 28-Nov-15 12:03:46

Have just read, whitewave, that the firefighters union has voted to reaffiliate to Labour, having left in 2004. They have come back because they believe in Jeremy Corbyn.

whitewave Sat 28-Nov-15 17:03:08

See Grant Shapps has become the fall guy over the bullying incident - that was a foregone conclusion.

Yes dj there is a lot of bad press but jc seems to be quietly winning support. Next is the bombing vote.
What I find difficult to accept is the element in the PLP that cannot accept that JCs leadership is as a result of membership disapproval over Labour policies, which they are still insisting on. They are acting as if they know best. Well they don't!

durhamjen Sun 29-Nov-15 00:48:21

But so far Shapps has only left the government front bench, not resigned as an MP.
This is a reason for having recall of MPs. Does saying the buck stops with him mean that it could have gone further?
I await the flack for thinking that, but I have read it online.

whitewave Sun 29-Nov-15 05:34:57

Yes there are a lot more Tories at the top complicite in bullying. The other vice chairman is a colleague of Cameron's so he ( Cameron) is trying to protect him. What charmers they all are.

Anniebach Sun 29-Nov-15 10:11:17

Anyone remember the Tory youth group in the eighties? They ran a campaign to hang Mandela

whitewave Sun 29-Nov-15 10:50:14

Yes- I can remember the evil that was Thatcher too.

durhamjen Sun 29-Nov-15 10:53:59

Just been reading an article in the Guardian interviewing the lad's parents.
Apparently he was a real Thatcherite, but his dad hoped to put him straight on that. He was only 21. He sounds like a William Hague clone.
I hope there are more made to resign over this.

Anniebach Sun 29-Nov-15 12:56:00

Thatcher and Cameron supported S A apartheid

durhamjen Sun 29-Nov-15 13:00:58

Hadn't realised that Cameron supported apartheid. I would have thought he was too young. I do not know anyone else of my sons' generation who supported apartheid. Maybe I just mix with the right people.

Elegran Sun 29-Nov-15 13:16:37

Reeally? Sunday September 10 2006 Cameron dramatically denounced one of Margaret Thatcher's flagship foreign policies

Ana Sun 29-Nov-15 13:30:34

Hmmm...where do you get some of your information from, Anniebach?

Anniebach Sun 29-Nov-15 14:19:03

Jen , Cameron was 24 when apartheid ended. It is well documented he travelled to SA for a firm which supported apartheid, he described it as - just a jolly. He later apologised for the Tory government during the apartheid struggle , he said they were wrong

Ana Sun 29-Nov-15 14:26:53

I make him 27 when apartheid ended, not that it makes any difference.

Anniebach Sun 29-Nov-15 14:32:28

when Cameron was working at central office he flew to S A with Strategy Network International , created to lobby against sanctions in S A

Why would anyone go on an all expenses paid trip to SA with SNI if they were against apartheid ?

He grovelled years later to Mandela, the same Mandela who in the eighties the young conservatives wanted hanged , and declared Mandela a hero

Anniebach Sun 29-Nov-15 14:34:45

Cameron Born in 1966, Mandela released in 1990, we knew then apartheid was ending

durhamjen Sun 29-Nov-15 14:36:29

Always with an eye on the main chance, even then, eh, Annie?

Ana Sun 29-Nov-15 14:37:02

It didn't actually end until April 1994 though, did it?

durhamjen Sun 29-Nov-15 14:41:23

In the article Elegran linked to, Bernard Ingham was quoted as saying that he wondered if Cameron was a Conservative.

Elegran Sun 29-Nov-15 14:47:30

Whatever he did or said, ana, what will be most believed about him by Certain Persons will be the worst. If it is a left-wing politicaian rejecting what has been gospel in the party, it is heroic rebellion, if it is a right-wing one it is blatant opportunism. I don't suppose they even read the link I posted. No point me bothering, was there?

A quote from it to save you the effort " . . he came away from his South Africa visit [with Nelson Mandela - did Maggie Thatcher et al meet Mandela?] convinced that politicians must learn 'patience' and 'humility' in dealing with increasingly complex world issues and recognise that resolving them will require not just top-down decisions but long-term engagement at all levels of society."

Elegran Sun 29-Nov-15 14:48:49

Ah! you did read it, dj.

Ana Sun 29-Nov-15 14:49:28

Yes, because he'd denounced Thatcher's stance on apartheid - surely you think that's a good thing, dj.

Ana Sun 29-Nov-15 14:50:08

x posts Elegran

Anniebach Sun 29-Nov-15 15:06:26

He denounced it rather late didn't he .