Gransnet forums

News & politics

Uk charity giving up on Calais

(72 Posts)
petra Tue 06-Oct-15 18:16:31

In the Daily Mail now.
Bradford based charity: Human Relief foundation.
Things are not what they thought, in the camps. Many of us could have told them that.

suzied Tue 05-Apr-16 18:45:46

I wonder how these unaccompanied children made it to Calais? How did they pay the smugglers? Why weren't they looked after somewhere else along the route? Why are they all boys aged about 17? Why do they all seem to have relatives in the UK?
Am I being an old cynic?
I am a Guardian reader BTW, and I do believe in looking after those in need, but not any old illegal migrant. I foresee many future social problems both here and in Europe.

suzied Tue 05-Apr-16 18:47:53

The 129 unaccounted for "children "are probably here having made it over in the back of a lorry.

Jane10 Tue 05-Apr-16 19:16:34

Or they grew up? Became over 16 so officially not children any more?

durhamjen Tue 05-Apr-16 19:20:58

www.helprefugees.org.uk/2016/04/02/calais-breaking-news-129-unaccompanied-minors-unaccounted-for-since-demolition/
This is the charity which did the survey. They do not seem as blase as you are, sizied.
Not talking about "any old illegal migrant", but unaccompanied minors.

I read a report in the Guardian about a family of four children and their mother who were split up at a border. The boys stayed together, and eventually found their mother in Calais or Dunkirk. It was a very moving story. I am sure you will have read it if you are a Guardian reader.
That's how children can end up being unaccompanied.

suzied Tue 05-Apr-16 19:23:13

So think "children" are under 18s. Many of the unaccompanied children appear to be 17 year old males. Cynical?moi?

rosesarered Tue 05-Apr-16 19:23:17

We don't let in just anybody ( or so they tell us!) and all the claimants/ refugees should be applying to stay in France as a place of refuge ( if they really need refuge.) So why are they not doing this? Hmmmmmn.....

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 19:29:16

I am amazed at knowledge shared here, to know they all want to come here for benefits , I assume they were all asked

Ana Tue 05-Apr-16 19:31:03

Who has said they all want to come here for benefits, Annie?

suzied Tue 05-Apr-16 19:36:19

There are illegal migrants jumping out of lorries every day, this has been going on for years. This has nothing to do with the EU. Our government has chosen not to properly police the borders.

durhamjen Tue 05-Apr-16 19:46:57

Our government chooses to police the borders in France because we are part of the EU, so of course it's got something to do with the EU.

How do you know that they are all 17 years old, suzied?

suzied Tue 05-Apr-16 20:11:07

Well, they are not all 17, it's just that from everything I have read and from personal contacts ( I know people who work in Dover, in Kent education and social services etc) I know that 90%+ of the unaccompanied minors are 16+, are male, and hope to join family members, or have been sent to bring family members over at a later date, they aren't tiny orphans. They are not all from Syria or war torn countries, many are from Africa, Pakistan etc . They will have had opportunities to claim asylum along the route, but choose not to do so. They don't try to come here because of the EU, France only agreed to the border in Calais because of the EU, if we leave the EU presumably the French will just put them all on boats and we'll have refugee camps in Dover or the Isle of Wight.

durhamjen Tue 05-Apr-16 20:16:41

"The government has been defeated in the House of Lords after peers voted to accept 3,000 unaccompanied child refugees into the UK from Europe.

An amendment to the Immigration Bill to let the children come to Britain was adopted by 306 votes to 204 - a majority of 102.

Labour's Lord Dubs, who came to the UK as a child refugee, said it would save children from exploitation and abuse."

The House of Lords cares more than some of you.
This was last month.

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 20:36:31

What a strange question Ana,

suzied Tue 05-Apr-16 20:39:38

Of course they do. Members of the HOL are incredibly privileged members of society, many of them are immensely wealthy with several homes. Easy to be caring when it doesn't cost you anything. I doubt if any of them will be adopting refugees.

durhamjen Tue 05-Apr-16 20:41:45

Lord Dubs came here as a child refugee. Alf Dubs was a labour MP.

Are you sure you're a Guardian reader, suzied?

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 20:58:16

Doreen Lawrence. Tani Grey Thompson. Alf Dubs, and many more are incredibly privileged members of society?

suzied Tue 05-Apr-16 21:04:48

I've no doubt there are many sincere members of the HOL, some of them were Labour MPs even, but by no means all of them, I do read (buy!) the Guardian and am definitely left of centre. I do think we should be helping refugees, and giving more in foreign aid, and remain in the EU. But to question an open door policy to migrants from anywhere seems to be akin to being thought a closet UKIP supporter.

Deedaa Tue 05-Apr-16 22:16:00

The particular child Yvette Cooper was writing about today was 11 not a 17 year old.

durhamjen Wed 06-Apr-16 00:20:51

www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/latest/news/4585_uk_government_refuses_to_let_them_fly

Specifically about unaccompanied children. The refugee council is saying that the government does not practise what it preaches.

"Refugee Council Advocacy Manager Anna Musgrave said: "This conference has revealed a dangerous crisis in solidarity, a crisis in morality and a crisis in political leadership. How long will global leaders continue to bury their heads in the sand and pretend they can’t help the men, women and children who are frantically fleeing bombs, bullets and bloodshed?

"Britain has led the way through its aid commitment to Syrian people: now is the time for the Government to show the same leadership by offering safe passage to more refugees." "

Anniebach Wed 06-Apr-16 09:30:28

What else can be expected from this government than a crisis in morality

harrigran Wed 06-Apr-16 12:02:36

Minors are often not as young as they claim to be and coming to join a relative, lots of cultures call other males "uncle".
Some suggest we should just bring them all here and look after them, I suggest those that think that way put their money where their mouth is. If you want to be a do-gooder take them into your home and feed and clothe them.

Jalima Wed 06-Apr-16 13:02:12

I think the crisis in morality is referring to global leaders in genenral, not just those of the UK and it then says "Britain has led the way through its aid commitment to Syrian people: then goes on to urge this Government to show leadership to other countries

That's how I read it anyway.

The trouble is, many refugees/migrants have destroyed their papers so there is no proof of age and country of origin.
I did see a photo of a refugee taken into this country as a 'vulnerable child' at school with children who looked half his age. It was some while ago.

loopylou Wed 06-Apr-16 13:11:26

DD very disheartened after working in Calais camp for three months, found too many young males with mantra of 'Get white girl pregnant then get house in England and money from State'.........
Majority there seem to think Britain's a very soft touch sad

felice Wed 06-Apr-16 13:48:39

On the subject of being everyones Aunty, Mother Sister etc, I am godmother to a little girl in Sub Saharan Africa, and am now Aunty, Mother and Grandmother to the entire family.
I take it as a great compliment.
DBF visits and works in the same area in Africa and is called Father and Brother by many.
Many have visited us here and enjoyed their stays but would never dream of coming to live here, they were shocked by the size of our houses(small) and the European standard of living.
We found it quite funny, of course all you see on the TV are the starving masses, not the educated hard workers.

Jane10 Wed 06-Apr-16 14:18:06

Interesting info direct from the front line loopy