Gransnet forums

News & politics

Uk charity giving up on Calais

(72 Posts)
petra Tue 06-Oct-15 18:16:31

In the Daily Mail now.
Bradford based charity: Human Relief foundation.
Things are not what they thought, in the camps. Many of us could have told them that.

sunseeker Thu 07-Apr-16 12:44:02

If there are unaccompanied minors in these camps, why doesn't France, or whatever country they are in, take them into care? Why is it necessary for them to reach UK to be taken care of? Once their age has been verified and if they have relatives in UK who are willing to care for them then by all means let them come here.

Anya Thu 07-Apr-16 12:24:13

Possibly as gullible idiots whitewave hmm

Jane10 Thu 07-Apr-16 12:12:50

Oh God. Everyone's worst fear regarding letting these 'vulnerable children' in. Or the vast gender mismatch of adult men too.

petra Thu 07-Apr-16 09:50:03

Are we going to do an age check on these 'children'?
It's a shame that Sweden didn't do one on Ali Bahmani. He is an Afgan who claimed to be 16. He bruttally raped a vulnerable 15 year old girl. When they tested his age (through his teeth) they said that he was "at least 19.2 years old)
Because the girl didn't scream or shout during the rape, he said that "she consented with her heart"

durhamjen Thu 07-Apr-16 01:00:54

click.e-mail.christian-aid.org/?qs=7dbe3c6be5a07424dcaf56a5d59c3501a6454f8653890880636ec83e3eb568a4

Better link.

durhamjen Thu 07-Apr-16 00:59:32

click.e-mail.christian-aid.org/
A letter to send to Cameron about the tax havens.
I know it's on a different thread, but it's about Christian Aid. If they ask for tax havens to be closed, there will be more money in this country to help the refugees, whatever their ages.

Eloethan Thu 07-Apr-16 00:42:51

Using your reasoning felice, 14 year old girls coming to the UK from some countries might be married off at that age because that would be the case in their country of origin.

I think 16 year old British children should not be left to fend for themselves - it's an absolute disgrace and I thought this was in the process of being changed. But at least young people who have been brought up in this country can speak the language and are familiar with the culture. Imagine being subjected to all kinds of horrors in your own country, leaving your home and everything you have ever known and owned, and arriving in a country that is completely alien to you. That suggests a fair degree of vulnerability to me.

I find some of your views surprising, given that you are a volunteer for Christian Aid.

daphnedill Wed 06-Apr-16 23:13:51

The school leaving age in England and Wales is now effectively 18. A DBS (formerly CRB) is needed to work with ALL vulnerable people - of whatever age. In an education setting pupils/students are considered 'vulnerable' due to the relationship between teacher and student, which is why a teacher of an 18 year old can be prosecuted for having a sexual relationship with the student, even though the relationship itself would not be illegal if the 18 year old weren't a student.

Jalima Wed 06-Apr-16 21:47:10

It was a language school in the UK, she was teaching foreign students felice. No such requirement in Poland, Austria, France apparently!!

felice Wed 06-Apr-16 21:45:24

Jalima, thats just daft, anyway the school leaving age in the UK is 16. It is 18 here. I just had a look and it seems you can marry at 15 in Denmark with permission.

Surely it is unfair to young people in the Uk of 16, to be denied assistance when 17 year olds are given help.
This is a personal point of view, talking to friends in the UK who work within the care system.
I myself sat on the Childrens panel in Scotland for 4 years.

I work a lot for charity, on home ground so to speak, the weekends of the 17th and 24th will be very busy fundraising for Christian Aid.

Getting on to private rant time now, nearly 23.00 off to bed I think.

Jalima Wed 06-Apr-16 21:35:16

DGD had to get a CRB certificate when she was teaching 'vulnerable young people' who were 17 year old male students twice her size.

felice Wed 06-Apr-16 21:26:07

I am confused by the 'children' of 17, I married at 16, had DS1 at 17.
I was never a vulnerable child.

Most of these 16/17 year olds in their home countries are classed as men, often breadwinners.
Many married probably with children of their own. Why are they now classed as children. They are not.
My DS2 left school against our wishes at 16, he was not forced to go back as it was perfectly legal and his own decision.
16 year olds in the UK care system are expected to fend for themselves from the age of 16, why are migrants given different status from them, many who are really vulnerable?

Jalima Wed 06-Apr-16 21:13:27

Well, are they Pakistani or are they Afghan refugees who are being expelled from Pakistan?

whitewave Wed 06-Apr-16 21:00:59

What will history make of our reaction and treatment of these vunerable people?

durhamjen Wed 06-Apr-16 20:54:44

politics.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f5ab5efdb629954eb1b8df87b&id=62a07c6ae6&e=f5e4f66f33

Caroline Lucas talking about her visit to Calais.

petra Wed 06-Apr-16 16:34:42

I don't know why the Pakistanis go to all that trouble when all they have to do is marry one of their cousins here, job done.

Jane10 Wed 06-Apr-16 16:07:52

What's so wrong with Pakistan that they want to leave?

rosesarered Wed 06-Apr-16 15:44:38

exactly Jamila plus even if we took all who are waiting at Calais [and why on earth would we] others would straight away take their place.In Turkey at the moment they are finding more Pakistani immigrants than Syrian.

Jalima Wed 06-Apr-16 15:36:14

It is; there are so many refugees in need that it is sad - but not at all surprising - that some are taking advantage of these desperate situations. sad for the genuine refugees that people's hearts are hardened because of these few and making it difficult for the authorities to sift them.

Jane10 Wed 06-Apr-16 15:27:53

Its rather a chilling truth though sad

Jalima Wed 06-Apr-16 15:23:06

Always good to get the truth from someone who has been 'on the ground'

Jane10 Wed 06-Apr-16 14:18:06

Interesting info direct from the front line loopy

felice Wed 06-Apr-16 13:48:39

On the subject of being everyones Aunty, Mother Sister etc, I am godmother to a little girl in Sub Saharan Africa, and am now Aunty, Mother and Grandmother to the entire family.
I take it as a great compliment.
DBF visits and works in the same area in Africa and is called Father and Brother by many.
Many have visited us here and enjoyed their stays but would never dream of coming to live here, they were shocked by the size of our houses(small) and the European standard of living.
We found it quite funny, of course all you see on the TV are the starving masses, not the educated hard workers.

loopylou Wed 06-Apr-16 13:11:26

DD very disheartened after working in Calais camp for three months, found too many young males with mantra of 'Get white girl pregnant then get house in England and money from State'.........
Majority there seem to think Britain's a very soft touch sad

Jalima Wed 06-Apr-16 13:02:12

I think the crisis in morality is referring to global leaders in genenral, not just those of the UK and it then says "Britain has led the way through its aid commitment to Syrian people: then goes on to urge this Government to show leadership to other countries

That's how I read it anyway.

The trouble is, many refugees/migrants have destroyed their papers so there is no proof of age and country of origin.
I did see a photo of a refugee taken into this country as a 'vulnerable child' at school with children who looked half his age. It was some while ago.