Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory welfare cuts will impoverish 200,000 children next year and more than 600,00 in 2020

(700 Posts)
Gracesgran Thu 08-Oct-15 21:49:08

The Resolution Foundation has found that Tory welfare cuts will impoverish 200,000 children next year and more than 600,00 in 2020.
Their report can be found here and starts:

Measures announced at the Summer Budget are expected to significantly increase the number of children (and households) living in poverty (households with less than 60 per cent of median income). Despite positive action on low pay, cuts to working age benefits mean that most of this increase is expected to be among those living in working households.

Their worry is that this will go unnoticed because "The Welfare Reform and Employment Bill removes the requirement on Government to meet the 2020 child poverty target established in the Child Poverty Act 2010."

Ana Fri 04-Mar-16 18:10:42

Hard t believe they're prepared to stoop that low. 'Let's try a bit of emotional blackmail from the grandchildren, that'll stop those pesky pensioners from voting to leave...'

annodomini Fri 04-Mar-16 18:52:35

This grandparent is quite prepared to persuade my GD to vote to STAY - and so are a good many of my contemporaries.

durhamjen Fri 04-Mar-16 19:11:45

My granddaughter doesn't need to tell me, and I do not need to tell her.
Hopefully your granddaughter is just as clued up, anno.

Ana Fri 04-Mar-16 19:57:32

No surprise there - but the campaign is obviously not going to be aimed at those who've already made up their minds.

Jalima Fri 04-Mar-16 19:59:53

Meanwhile the Britain Stronger in Europe campaign is to launch an initiative to encourage young people to persuade their grandparents to vote to stay in the EU.
don't think the 4 year old has an opinion one way or the other

Ana Fri 04-Mar-16 20:10:30

I do hope this 'campaign' isn't going to be full of the scaremongering misinformation we've seen so far from the In brigade.

Children and teenagers aren't equipped to analyse the information they're being fed, and frightening young people by giving them a false impression about the future is just...wrong.

durhamjen Fri 04-Mar-16 22:54:57

27 pages about Tory welfare cuts. Not scaremongering misinformation.
Nothing to do with the In brigade. It's to do with the one nation government treating the people of this country as if we really are one nation.
Anything wrong with that?

Gracesgran Sat 05-Mar-16 08:48:38

I think each side is complaining about scaremongering when the truth is we are still not getting much in the way of real information from anyone. I would suspect that is because they have no real data - on either side.

I don't think it unreasonable that young people explain what they want to their grandparents; after all we will be long gone while they are still living with the consequences and it is extremely arrogant to think that just years of living have given us any better view than theirs. The young have their prejudices and the old have theirs.

I see a new group has announced itself - Women in - at least we will be listening to people who are not normally tied up with the failing politics of this country (on both sides). I find it very difficult not to make my decision based on voting the opposite of some politicians who make me squirm and who, I feel, are part of the arrogant coterie who believe they have the right to rule and, of course, feel they will have more power if we come out. Are they thinking of us? They haven't done so yet so I doubt it.

durhamjen Sat 05-Mar-16 23:31:50

Let's have a bit of scaremongering.

twitter.com/hashtag/BrexitRisks?src=hash

durhamjen Fri 11-Mar-16 13:02:05

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-camerons-mums-job-been-7535546

Cameron's mother has lost her job in a Berkshire children's centre. She was only a volunteer, so will not lose any pay, but the centre is to close.

durhamjen Mon 14-Mar-16 17:06:09

speye.wordpress.com/2016/03/14/664000-more-uk-homeless-children-does-anyone-give-a-sht/

daphnedill Mon 14-Mar-16 20:25:56

What scaremongering is that, Ana. It seems to me that the scaremongering is coming from the BREXITERs. Some of us have used our brains to weigh up the pros and cons - as have our children and grandchildren.

daphnedill Mon 14-Mar-16 20:29:25

Gracesgran, I'm afraid I disagree with you. There is plenty of evidence out there. The trouble is that people aren't used to looking for evidence (not just on the EU). They have their prejudices and it's very difficult to persuade people that they're being irrational. Emotion and bigotry are very tough enemies.

Ana Mon 14-Mar-16 20:31:29

I'm sure the same could be said about those of a different opinion to you, daphnedill. Although my own grandchildren are not of an age to consider or express a preference.

daphnedill Mon 14-Mar-16 20:33:54

Gracesgran, I have made up my mind and I, too, will find it difficult to vote the same way as people who make me squirm. However, when I look at the people who want to leave (and the reasons they want to leave) they make me squirm more. In any case, I have made my decision based on the facts which I've followed for many years. I don't care who the poster boys and girls are. I'm in.

daphnedill Mon 14-Mar-16 20:36:35

Ana, I don't have any grandchildren, but I have children in their late teens and 20s. I expect some young people have made up their minds to leave, but ALL the polls suggest that about 75% of people under 35 want to stay. They know which side their bread is buttered.

durhamjen Mon 14-Mar-16 20:39:15

There are politicians on both sides who make me squirm, too.
But I still have to vote. I'm with you, Daphne.

whitewave Mon 14-Mar-16 20:48:33

The politicians are in exactly the same position as the rest of the population -each has a vote. None of them will persuade me one way or another as they all have axes to grind. The same with the press - most of them are simply reflecting their owners prejudices without a very large handle on the truth.

There is enough unbiased information out there for all of us to make a reasonably informed decision. It isn't an exact science as none of us has a crystal ball, but I think we must think longer term than the currant range of problems facing us. Everything changes given time.

daphnedill Mon 14-Mar-16 21:07:17

Agree with you absolutely, whitewave.

durhamjen Wed 16-Mar-16 18:07:50

As well as welfare cuts, anyone contacting the DWP by phone has to pay premium rates. Of course, they are rolling in money so can afford those, can't they?

www.change.org/p/iain-duncan-smith-provide-free-0800-access-to-all-dwp-departments-agencies-and-public-bodies

durhamjen Tue 29-Mar-16 17:03:49

www.welfareweekly.com/tory-cuts-leave-poverty-stricken-children-too-hungry-to-learn/

This is from the NAS at the weekend. This government should be taken to court.
No wonder they want to change Human Rights legislation.

durhamjen Thu 14-Apr-16 20:15:02

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/14/unicef-report-criticises-government-response-to-rising-child-inequality

Uk last out of 37 nations.
I would say embarrassing, but it's much worse than that.
Not that I expect the government to do more than give its stock answer to any reports like this.

whitewave Thu 14-Apr-16 20:35:48

We need IDS to come on here and say "I feel your pain" as he did on the Ian Hislop show. Ye right.

durhamjen Thu 14-Apr-16 20:38:08

He needs to cry a bit more than he did on that.
I heard Ian Hislop being interviewed about the interview. He was asked what he'd done, and he said sat and watched. It was Iain Duncan Smith after all.

durhamjen Sat 16-Apr-16 00:05:06

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/kerry-mccarthy/foodbank-use-figures_b_9699754.html

"Today’s report from the Trussell Trust on food bank usage shows well over 1.1million three day emergency food parcels were provided to people in crisis by the charity’s network in 2015-16, compared to 41,000 parcels in 2009-10: a mortifying increase of 2,612% in the number of people who needed food aid to put a meal on the table since David Cameron became Prime Minister."

What's wrong with a rich MP or PM; the fact that he doesn't notice this, and does not do anything to change it. In fact those rich people in government have made it worse.