Gransnet forums

News & politics

Would you support the doctors' strike.

(714 Posts)
whitewave Fri 06-Nov-15 10:21:45

Doctors have been told that Hunt is only prepared to negotiate on 1 out of 23 points of the new contract. The new rota system only allows for "home time" as being after 10pm and Sunday's.

Junior doctors will have to work more hours than they do now and are exhausted how so how safe will we be?

I support them

Iam64 Thu 12-Nov-15 18:59:42

Do you have any evidence to support that claim granjura?
I don't mean to be confrontational it's a genuine question. I have first hand experience of large family groups, here illegally (arrived as students for example and remained) who are being treated for significant, chronic, life long conditions with absolutely no right to that treatment unless they pay. I suspect this group is larger than the ex pat group but maybe I'm wrong.

rosequartz Thu 12-Nov-15 19:39:04

Most ex-pats have paid NI for many, many years, so at least they contributed.

I don't know why it is so difficult - you have to produce insurance if you fall ill overseas before they will look at you.

granjura Thu 12-Nov-15 20:02:55

there are no figures or evidence out there. Expats who illegally use the NHS are not detected- because they 'look', sound and have names, which are not picked up by staff- and family addresses. So yes, anecdotal- via a life-time of experience re DH's surgery, and comments on several expat forums, where many many people say that this is what they do- knowing full well they are not entitled to NHS care, or drugs, or eye tests, etc.

I had an eye test done at Vision Express the other day- and they asked me to sign a form for NHS cost, and I insisted on paying- as I refuse to act fraudulently- despite paying all our lives for it- and DH dedicating his whole life to the NHS, working very very long hours!

Not a good idea to refuse treatment on immigrants with TB, or other communicable diseases like TB or STDs- though? is it?

Iam64 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:33:59

I'm not suggesting it is a good idea to refuse treatment to immigrants granjura> My point was about individuals who are over stayers, hiding under the radar so far as paying tax or NI goes to avoid being deported but receiving thousands of pounds worth of treatment on the NHS There is a huge difference between asylum seekers or immigrants and people in this country who have had their situation examined and been refused the right to remain or those who arrive as students and never leave but never become legal.

I've just visited Germany. I took my EU health card with me along with me and wouldn't expect the Germans to pay for any medical treatment I may have needed in that country. I'm not suggesting poverty stricken asylum seekers should be expected to pay for their treatment but I do believe we need to consider more effective ways of collecting funds from non British / EU people, here illegally or on holiday.

granjura Thu 12-Nov-15 20:38:35

Agreed.

2 years ago, some cousins from Arizona asked us to take them around the Cotswolds for a holiday. She fell out of our car and scraped off the skin of her shin, full length and about 8 cm wide - yiikes - we called 999 and she was taken to A&E by ambulance to Bedford. She was released a few hours later and we went to reception- she saying that she is from the USA and has full holiday insurance and wanted to pay. They said there was no need- she insisted, and they said, no truly, you are welcome. Why oh why- she is a millionaire and had full insurance and her credit card at the ready!

Eloethan Thu 12-Nov-15 23:55:06

granjura As you say, that is ridiculous when someone has insurance or is perfectly able and willing to pay.

I know of two ex pats who come back here for treatment - one I know personally who now lives in the US. The other was an obnoxious man sitting next to me on the bus who regaled me with his views about Britain going to the dogs - choc-a-bloc with foreigners - etc. etc. and who then proceeded to tell me that he'd only come back for a couple of months to get some medical treatment and then he'd be glad to get "home"!

Mamie Fri 13-Nov-15 06:29:26

So where are they living all these "ex-pats" (migrants surely as ex-pats are people who are temporarily abroad on a work contract) who go back to the UK for treatment and why on earth would they? The biggest groups are in France and Spain where health care is very good. I don't know anyone who isn't very satisfied with the prompt, high-quality care we get here in France and my son has been in Spain for over twenty years and speaks highly of the service there. I think it may have been true in the big waves of lifestyle migration ten years ago, but I suspect a lot of those people didn't really settle anyway, didn't bother to register in the local system and have long since gone.
Interestingly there is a strike in the French health service today (not infrequent) which is about the way doctors are paid. At the moment you pay the GP directly and then get reimbursed. The doctors say that if patients don't have to pay the money upfront then they may make unecessary appointments because they think it is free. Food for thought?
On behalf of my family in the UK, I am very concerned about the way the government treats the health professionals of the NHS.

whitewave Fri 13-Nov-15 07:38:06

Hunt is pushing the juniors to the limit. They are due to strike 3 times I December. Hunt thinks that he has public support. Ballot closes on Wednesday.

Iam64 Fri 13-Nov-15 08:16:00

Podiatry is to become an emergency only service. Even patients with alzheimers won't be seen routinely, only once their chronic foot conditions get so bad they need emergency treatment. This will also apply to people with type 2 diabetes (I'm not sure about type 1)

This decision hasn't been made by clinicians, who recognise preventive treatment is safer and less expensive.

Another step (pun not intended) towards privatisation. Most private podiatrists charge about £30 a session. A lot of money for anyone on a basic wage or pension.

Hunt was best described on radio 4 imo.

Tegan Fri 13-Nov-15 08:30:13

There's a saying with horses 'no foot, no horse'. I'm sure that can equally be applied to people. Yet another false economy.

JessM Fri 13-Nov-15 15:51:08

Hunt living in a rose tinted bubble of his own. What is there in his case to engage public support?
The only bright spot in his gruesome career as a minister was when he was being welcomed on R4 Today as culture secretary and the presenter fell into one of the worst/best Spoonerism of all time. smile

newnana Fri 13-Nov-15 20:45:14

Junior doctor is anything below consultant! My daughter is a GP. The stress and constant negative comments from the press - especially the Daily Mail and the like - makes her wonder what she is doing! I would of course support the strike. It's time people realise how good the NHS is before this government privatises it!

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 13-Nov-15 21:47:04

My hospital has newish signs up saying if you don't normally live in the UK you may be charged for your treatment. The signs have pictures of suitcases and an airport trolley on them.

Re the podiatry services. My Mum lives in Scotland and used to use the service at her local hospital. Last year the service changed and now most patients see someone from a group of health care workers recently trained to carry out basic treatment for £10 per session. She needs more than the treatment on offer and now sees a local chiropodist, who is now so busy that he's not taking on new patients. Apart from the new £10 service, podiatry is now an emergency only service.

I support the junior doctors 100%.

Eloethan Fri 13-Nov-15 21:53:39

newnana It's a shame that doctors and nurses feel so under attack. I hope you can reassure your daughter that very many people appreciate what they are doing. There are often letters in our local newspaper thanking the local hospital staff for their own treatment or for the treatment of a family member. And the people I know who go to my doctors surgery are generally very complimentary about the doctors there.

I and many others feel there is a concerted campaign to discredit the NHS. It is under enormous financial and staffing pressures and mistakes are bound to be made in such a situation - or, indeed, in any large organisation dealing with such a complex range of services. Although those things that go wrong should be highlighted and investigated, it's a shame there isn't as much coverage of all the things that go right.

newnana Fri 13-Nov-15 22:12:56

Thank you eloethan. I can't understand why none of the good stuff gets reported as most people seem to think the nhs is ok

JessM Sun 15-Nov-15 14:14:29

Of course there is a concerted attack on the NHS and it is coming straight from George Osborne who wishes only that the rich shall pay low taxes.
NHS budgets need to be increase to cope with general increased demand and an ageing population. Recent budget cutting and bed cutting has slipped under the radar and the pips are now starting to squeak.

annodomini Sun 15-Nov-15 15:20:37

I am certain that when my sister broke her wrist in Scotland she wasn't charged, despite being resident overseas, having qualified as a doctor and worked as far as registrar level before leaving the country. Presumably she should have received a bill (for pretty inadequate treatment) but she didn't. When she got home she had to have it re-broken and re-set. hmm Perhaps she should have sent a bill to the Scottish hospital!

Charleygirl Sun 15-Nov-15 15:34:36

I am almost certain that emergency treatment is free for all visitors.

My ex MIL lives in Spain but comes to England as and when for major heart surgery. I do not know how she gets around registering with a GP and not having local notes unless she stays registered here when she is living in Spain?

Spidergran5 Thu 19-Nov-15 10:15:13

It looks like junior doctors have voted in favour of strikes in December. Just saw it pop up on BBC News www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34859860

Lona Thu 19-Nov-15 10:47:26

My ds has regular eye injections and various related treatments and last month, when at the eye hospital, a member of staff challenged a family who were waiting.
Only the father spoke English, the mother's clothing was clearly suited to a hot climate (suggesting she had only just arrived here), there was a grandmother and a couple of children too.
The staff member produced forms and told the father that he must either complete the paperwork to show that the family weren't illegal immigrants, or pay, upfront, for the treatment h is wife wanted. This included several eye tests and injections which amounted to thousands of pounds.
The family refused to complete the forms and subsequently left the hospital.
My son gets this wonderful eye treatment on the NH every month.

Spidergran5 Thu 19-Nov-15 12:32:24

What concerns me is if they strike and we have a crisis like in Paris.

Elegran Thu 19-Nov-15 12:51:24

In an emergency, they would all pitch in.

Anniebach Thu 19-Nov-15 16:12:25

If we were attacked I have no fears that our doctors and nurses would be sitting at home

durhamjen Thu 19-Nov-15 16:39:21

It's junior doctors, not the whole of the NHS.
The consultants will cover, and the junior doctors have agreed to come in in case of extreme emergency.
Hopefully it will show Hunt that junior doctors are important and it is not his job to upset them.

www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/aoife-abbey/junior-doctors-vote-yes-to-strike-yes-for-our-patients-yes-for-future-of-our-nhs

I find it strange that this is one union not covered by union bashing legislation. The BMA is a union, after all.

durhamjen Thu 19-Nov-15 16:42:02

NHA, thatbags.

nhap.org/the-junior-doctors-strike-is-a-referendum-on-this-governments-stewardship-of-the-nhs/