Gransnet forums

News & politics

Social Housing

(154 Posts)
Jackthelad Mon 25-Jan-16 10:02:23

What exactly is social housing? It is much mentioned by the politico's but to my mind is not defined to have any real meaning. Is it the new name for a council House, if so why not say so? Doing a little research I see the average wage is about £25,000 pa. From this the amount of a mortgage available for that amount of salary is £118,500 approx.. I am informed by local estate agents that there has been a return to the old way of only allowing a mortgage against one persons earnings and the repayments must not exceed one weeks income in four.
Where can anyone go and find any sort of house under these conditions?
If any Gransnetter has better information than I have I would be curious to learn it

durhamjen Fri 20-Jan-17 00:26:08

'There is actually planning in for about 350 houses on four sites for the village. The schools are full, there are no jobs and it's a dormitory village for Durham. Like you, the bus services have been reduced recently.
If the other sites are built on it would be better, as our lane is just that. Sounds very much like yours, in fact, and it cannot be widened except onto the site.'
The rest of the post.
Since then we have had £1 million flood defences built in the village.
It was finished in October; flooded again in November.

Mair Thu 19-Jan-17 23:57:17

DJ said:

I'd be surprised if our village had many more than 700 houses. I think I would be shocked, too. There were plans, and still are, for an estate on the fields behind my house. I think we are fortunate that the village floods, so building another 150 houses would add to that

She then says:
We need lots more affordable homes

Is this a classic case of NIMBYism, or am I missing something? hmm

daphnedill Thu 19-Jan-17 23:20:56

Stoke, Middlesbrough....

Then...

And then people are surprised that some of these places have social problems! hmm

durhamjen Thu 19-Jan-17 23:10:47

www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2017/01/18/council-policy-of-moving-homeless-out-of-the-area-spreads-na

Where do they all end up?
Moving families out of London to Milton Keynes, then moving families out of Milton Keynes to somewhere cheaper.
Then....?

durhamjen Fri 16-Dec-16 11:35:56

Councils can either have new homes or social care but not both.
Theresa May didn't say this when she announced that councils could raise more council tax for care.

www.24housing.co.uk/news/councils-fury-at-new-homes-bonus-cut/

durhamjen Thu 15-Dec-16 17:47:30

I hope this happens as well.

leftfootforward.org/2016/12/labour-calls-on-theresa-may-to-end-national-shame-of-rough-sleepers/

gettingonabit Tue 13-Dec-16 07:25:30

That's a big task, durham. Hope it gets support, particularly around London.

Maybe release some of that green belt land?smile.

durhamjen Mon 12-Dec-16 20:11:46

Flipping heck!

www.24housing.co.uk/news/indian-affordable-housing-giant-to-launch-in-uk/

durhamjen Mon 12-Dec-16 17:14:55

speye.wordpress.com/2016/12/12/55858-children-get-tory-benefit-cap-christmas-card-today-youre-homeless/

gettingonabit Sat 03-Dec-16 10:17:01

I'm absolutely against Right to Buy, and glad Wales is part of the drive towards affordable, secure, long term renting (for those who want it).

But I think we somehow need to break the association between aspiration and property ownership. Not sure how we're going to achieve that.

durhamjen Sat 03-Dec-16 10:03:30

www.24housing.co.uk/news/over-250000-homeless-in-england/

We need lots more affordable homes.

www.24housing.co.uk/news/groundbreaking-deal-to-transform-affordable-housing-in-wales/

It's happening in Wales, and Scotland.
Easy Ayrshire council has just agreed to build another 600 new homes. It can be done.

Anniebach Sat 03-Dec-16 08:55:47

And how are you going to change the government Jen ?

durhamjen Fri 02-Dec-16 23:27:03

No, Annie. Don't get used to it. Fight to change it.

Anniebach Fri 02-Dec-16 23:22:25

Get use to it, little help coming for the homeless for years so sad , so young,

durhamjen Fri 02-Dec-16 23:18:40

www.opendemocracy.net/openjustice/clare-jennings/hungry-homeless-and-in-need-of-legal-aid-lawyer

petra Fri 02-Dec-16 19:14:47

durhamjen I notice that the article didn't mention that the man wasn't alone. One man was riffling through his pockets while he was collapsing. Another next to him was drinking from a can, and another was shooting up something. There were 3 people there who maybe? could have done something.
Your link led us to believe that he died alone of the cold.

durhamjen Fri 02-Dec-16 08:43:43

www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/updates-homeless-man-found-dead-12251393

durhamjen Sat 26-Nov-16 22:14:21

This is a good idea for the homeless in Scotland. It was mentioned on another thread, but I can't find it. I think this is greater detail.

www.24housing.co.uk/news/homeless-village-for-scotland/

paddyann Sat 19-Nov-16 14:09:11

right to buy ended in Scotland in September ,theres a lot of shared ownership homes being built certainly in the West of Scotland

durhamjen Mon 07-Nov-16 14:20:31

Good for Cardiff. I hope they do stop right to buy.

www.24housing.co.uk/news/major-council-to-consider-suspension-of-right-to-buy/

durhamjen Sun 06-Nov-16 15:53:31

The government has no idea about housing. It is asking if private landlords can refuse housing benefit tenants.
What? They can refuse anyone they want.
It's social housing they should be worried about. They have known for five years that their housing strategy is going to cost more and make more families homeless.

speye.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/benefit-cap-what-planet-do-deluded-mps-live-on/

durhamjen Sat 05-Nov-16 14:54:53

This is interesting. Labour could win the next election if the Tories don't deliver on their housing promises.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-win-next-general-election-housing-crisis-alex-morton_uk_581c79a2e4b0c2e24aaf56aa

durhamjen Thu 03-Nov-16 20:22:55

www.24housing.co.uk/news/over-120000-children-will-wake-up-homeless-this-christmas/

This was in the i newspaper today. My grandson read the Shelter magazine that came through the post this week.
His response was," Why don't the government build enough houses?"

Why don't they?
PQE, get people working, put more money into the economy; all things Theresa May said she wanted to do, but hasn't even started yet.

grannypiper Tue 01-Nov-16 20:14:02

J52, Oxford wont give you planning permission if you plan to have parking spaces !

durhamjen Tue 01-Nov-16 18:55:40

www.24housing.co.uk/news/nearly-half-of-social-housing-tenants-cant-afford-to-eat/