Gransnet forums

News & politics

Social Housing

(153 Posts)
trisher Mon 25-Jan-16 10:37:54

Social housing as I understand it is housing owned by an organisation and rented out. So it covers council housing and housing owned by charitable organisations, housing companies etc. Affordable housing is a way for developers to push through planning permission for housing developments by providing a small percentage of cheaper/smaller housing within it. Who can afford to buy this housing is entirely a different question!

Gagagran Mon 25-Jan-16 10:23:09

They mention "affordable housing" a lot too Jack usually when giving planning permission for new housing developments. Well I never understand what that is, how it can be enforced and who polices it.

If the first buyer wants to sell it on later, surely they will get the best market price at that time and it will no longer be "affordable". It's all a bit Alice in Wonderland for me! confused

Jackthelad Mon 25-Jan-16 10:02:23

What exactly is social housing? It is much mentioned by the politico's but to my mind is not defined to have any real meaning. Is it the new name for a council House, if so why not say so? Doing a little research I see the average wage is about £25,000 pa. From this the amount of a mortgage available for that amount of salary is £118,500 approx.. I am informed by local estate agents that there has been a return to the old way of only allowing a mortgage against one persons earnings and the repayments must not exceed one weeks income in four.
Where can anyone go and find any sort of house under these conditions?
If any Gransnetter has better information than I have I would be curious to learn it