Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is selective education being reintroduced by the back door?

(89 Posts)
Granddaughter Tue 01-Mar-16 09:09:40

According to the Guardian and the Mail the Government plan to introduce selective education into what is currently a comprehensive area, by establishing an annexe to a grammar school in neighbouring (fully selective) Buckinghamshire, has so enraged a group of local residents that they are gearing up for a fight. The revival of the 11-plus, which proved so divisive throughout the 60s and 70s, may turn out to be more contentious than Morgan realises.
At the heart of the campaign in Windsor and Maidenhead is grandfather and local businessman Peter Prior, who failed the 11-plus and is determined to challenge the case for a new grammar school. “I was so angry when I read about the plan that I wrote to the local paper urging people who felt the same way to get in touch with me,” he says. “I was devastated by failing the 11-plus test myself. My parents were wealthy enough to educate me privately but it certainly had a negative impact on myaspirations.

“I have never found that children do better because you tell them they are failures. To categorise 85% of children at age 11 is wrong, especially as they develop at such different rates, and I don’t think it is good to keep children with different abilities apart. It is not a constructive or fair way to approacheducation.”

Granddaughters comments:
Having had a grammar school education, I became well aware by the time I was 16 that many of my friends who had failed their 11 plus were far better suited than me for an academic education, fortunately comprehensive education did opened those doors for them.

granjura Sat 05-Mar-16 17:50:07

I agree.

But GCSE and O'levels are 'comparable'. O' levels had much more rote learning of facts, and GCSEs much more analysing of facts and concepts, sometimes to the detriment of the 3 rs, unfortunately.

A friend of ours teaches engineering in a Midlands University and said the first term or more was totally wasted teaching basics that should have been acquired by then. In Modern Languages (my field) O'Level students had to know all their verb tenses and pronoun use, etc- but couldn't put 2 sentences together to communicate. With GCSE, effective verbal communication and aural comprehension was much more evident- at times to the detriment of basic grammar. Since the change over, huge efforts have been made to re-establish a balance and improve written accuracy ALONGSIDE communication, especially oral. So yes, O'Levels and GCSE's are definitely different- mostly for the better, overall.

wot Sat 05-Mar-16 18:38:08

So I haven't wasted my time then, achieving GCSE,s??

granjura Sat 05-Mar-16 18:59:54

Nope- but you must be very young then, for a granny ;)

wot Sat 05-Mar-16 19:09:37

No, I'm 65! I went to night school every year since 1994 (to keep boredom at bay!)

wot Sat 05-Mar-16 19:10:30

But u unfortunately I am neither a mum or gran

Ana Sat 05-Mar-16 19:43:43

wot, no education is every wasted! And you're very welcome on here whether you're a mum and/or gran or not smile

wot Sat 05-Mar-16 19:48:07

Thanks, Ana. She made me feel like a liar. If I was able to have children, I wouldn't have got bored and went to night school. Apart from a long break, it was something I did every year from 14 years old. Big deal....one night a week! Does anyone remember the actress Alexander Bastedo? She sat be hi d me in a German class! In 1965.

granjura Sat 05-Mar-16 19:48:20

Of course- and well done you. Learning something new, be it for the sheer pleasure or hell of it- or for exams- is a fabulous way to remain young and active and keep ze little grey cells working - bravo x

wot Sat 05-Mar-16 19:54:41

smile polishing my medals!!

granjura Sat 05-Mar-16 20:12:43

nah - time polishing medals or halos is wasted ;)

How about taking 1 or 2 to the next stage, AS then A... and beyond? Now that takes real guts!

wot Sat 05-Mar-16 20:27:09

I did want to try to do the A Level for one, but the energy and enthusiasm has evaporated since I became really old. I'm on this little Future Learn course on successful aging which makes the point of attitude to aging can have consequences but I've already "wilted"!

BRedhead59 Tue 09-Aug-16 13:17:40

1. We now know much more about the brain and IQ is not static - there are not able and less able children there are motivated and advantaged children and not so.
2. I failed my 11+ and went to a Secondary Mod where I was destined to a low paid job. In my 3rd year the school became Comprehensive and new teachers and equipment were installed. We were told we could go on to higher education and many of us did.
3.Grammars are a vote winner -and for parents who want to keep their off spring away from a perceived less able and lower class of children. That is morally and ethically wrong.
4. "Behaviour in Comps is bad" is a myth and behaviour in Grammar Schools is controlled by the threat that "you could end up with the lower class children"
5.More adults have moved along the social ladder (what ever that is)from Comps than from Grammars
6.Many children in Grammars have been tutored within an inch of their life to get into Grammars.
7.Successful countries like Finland have little/no selection or national exams until 16. They have vocational and academic universities also.
8.I left Kent in 1993 so my own children didn't have to go through what I went through in the 60's. They both went to University from a Comp.
9.Grammars are needed because the fees at public schools are rising.
10.The pass mark for the Grammar depends on the number of chairs available.
Theresa May is totally going against what she said in her Downing St speech.
This was in no particular order but as a retired Headteacher I find it totally depressing we are even debating the issue.

railman Tue 09-Aug-16 13:25:18

Agree with your post BRedhead59 today on this topic.

The introduction of a new form of division in society and between people by the use of the selective 'grammar school' creed plays to some of the worst aspects of human nature.

Are we guilty of being cruel to children with this form of education I wonder.