Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anti Semitism in Labour Party and Universities.

(631 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

POGS Thu 17-Mar-16 12:12:56

I am raising this as a separate conversation although it has been mentioned on another thread re the Muslim Female Councillors and reports of Mysogyny.

It is worrying to know Anti Semitism is reportedly rising in the UK . When a Political Party is facing accusations of Anti Semetism that becomes a major issue. Now my comment will be challenged but I for one have been asking how such blatent cases of Anti Semitism are being allowed in the UK. We have laws to handle it but they are not being used, why? I will most certainly be happy to say that I do not believe for one minute the majority of Labour MP's nor voters are Anti Semetic, quite the reverse, but is it time voices spoke out against Anti Semitism or at least understood it is an issue within some parts of the Labour Movement.

I have noticed this tendancy from certain Labour MP's and groups they belong to for many years but they were always under the radar and not thought 'influencial' enough, however times have changed. Labour run councils have used Anti Semetic behaviour over issues such as Flying the Palestinian Flag over Tower Hamlets , Calls for boycotting of Israeli goods, banning Jewish films etc. etc.

There is no doubt more interest being taken by the media over such matters and there are calls for Corbyn to show leadership over the actions of the Labour Party activism at Oxford University , indeed something is going radically wrong with our universities full stop an entire thread could be dedicated to that topic alone. I am not talking of racist tweets such as those made by MP's such as Dianne Abbot , Helen Goodman et al. Whilst they are relevant it would just dissolve into a tit for tat fest of he said she said to the left and right of politics. There are idiots in all party's !

I am not , and some will not believe a word of what I am about to say, trying to score a political point. I take my hat off to those Labour MP's who are speaking openly about this problem and calling for action from their Leader. This is not some right wing rag hyperbol taking place but there is something of a 'menacing ' tendency in some quarters of the Party and I hope those MP's who are doing their damnedest to openly stop it's progression do not fail or as some have eluded to run the risk of deselection for speaking out, that's another thread story too.

whitewave Fri 18-Mar-16 13:47:03

How does the Tory party deal with anti-semitism in their party? I know there has been real difficulties in the past.

POGS Fri 18-Mar-16 14:15:04

White wave

Interested to know , what cases were thinking of?

whitewave Fri 18-Mar-16 15:10:26

Oh Oxford University young conservatives for one. Some nasty goings on there. Not sure how that was dealt with.

The point is POGS these unpleasant incidents are not the prerogative of any one particular party.

Trading incidents is not the way forward, but to my mind assuming all right minded people are against such activities is, regardless of political party.

Venus Fri 18-Mar-16 16:51:05

British Jewry have very little influence concerning the Palestinian problem, yet they are held responsible for what occurs in Israel. There are certain groups of people who are clearly antisemitic and will use every opportunity to lash out at British and European Jewry.

The attacks on Jews and Jewish targets in Paris, Copenhagen and Brussels did little to raise questions about contemporary anti-semitism. The Palestinian campaign to kill Israeli civilians in the streets has hardly impacted either in the news or the political agenda in Britain. Hostility to Israel is partly caused by antisemitism and is also itself a cause of further antisemitism.

Jeremy Corbyn has made reference to terroist groups Hamas and Hizbollah as 'our friends.' Nearly every week there is identification of racist behaviour or identification of a racist party member involved in the party. Last week it was Gerry Downing and this week it was Vicki Kirby. Prior to that it was members of Oxford University Labour Club. It was only after media interest and objections from some Labour MPs who have no wish to be associated with a party that tolerates Jew-haters, that the party had to act. How did these people every be allowed to be party members in the first place? Their views were known.

Although Mr. Corbyn appears to be genuine in his rejection of antisemitsm, the fact is that he leads a pary that clearly attracts antisemites. The majority of Labour members are decent poeple who are horrified by all forms of racism but there is now a cancer in their party and is getting worse by the day. Labour must recogise and deal with that cancer.

As well as being a threat to Jews, antisemitsm is an indicator of contempt for democratic norms in any movement which tolerates this. Those that fight antisemitsm, and the totalitarian movements which feed on it, fight for democracy.

POGS Fri 18-Mar-16 17:05:34

White wave

I have entered Oxford University Conservatives AntiSemetic and variences but it keeps bringing up Labour Anti Semitism so I can't respond. Could you provide information as I am interested.

Yesterday during Business Questions Chris Bryant , Shadow Leader of the House made a joke re Osborne and Coke, it has caused amusement. However he also said "We should call out Anti Semitism , wherever we find it".

Perhaps the Labour Party Inquiry into accusations of Anti Semitism within Labour and chaired by Labour Peer Baroness Royall will make a fair and balanced report one way or the other. At least the Labour Party are taking it seriously so all credit there.

whitewave Fri 18-Mar-16 17:25:43

I am sorry you can't find anything relating to anti semitism in the Tory party, and the way in which it was dealt.

Still, as you say the Labour Party is taking it very seriously.

POGS Fri 18-Mar-16 17:35:16

Perhaps it isn't there to be found or it would be posted I am sure.

whitewave Fri 18-Mar-16 17:39:31

What are suggesting POGS?

TriciaF Fri 18-Mar-16 17:43:21

The trouble is that there are Jewish Labour MPs who criticise the Israeli govt. - ie Gerald Kaufman.
Maybe more, I don't know, but he should keep his views to himself in public.

POGS Fri 18-Mar-16 18:53:21

I am 'suggesting' nothing Whitewave I am making a statement, I can find nothing.

You stated there was an issue with Oxford and the Conservatives whilst discussing Anti Semitism but I can't agree nor disagree with your statement if I can find no information or you do not provide it.

daphnedill Fri 18-Mar-16 19:14:40

TriciaF, I don't understand why Gerald Kaufman should keep his views to himself. He has every right to be critical of the Israeli government, as have people within Israel itself.

I don't agree that being critical of the current Israeli government is antisemitic, nor do I think that everybody who is antisemitic is pro-Palestine or sympathetic to any Muslim cause. As far as I can see, much of the current antisemiticism in Europe is coming from neo-Nazi right wing thugs.

JessM Fri 18-Mar-16 19:20:22

There are about 400,000 Labour Party members so some unpleasant tweets by one person can hardly be seen as representative.
If the person is to be suspended then there are , I would guess, procedures to go through, rather than just an edict by the leader. But the Telegraph etc are trying to turn it into an anti-Corbyn story. Could be they want to deflect attention from the budget. And we can look forward to more in similar vein when Elliot Johnson's inquest resumes at the end of the month.
The argy bargy about Palestine and whether or not it is anti-semitic to criticise Israel has been going on since I was a student in the early 70s. And it will no doubt rumble on for a few more decades.
I do note with interest that we have regular updates on BBCR4 Today about the number of anti-semitic incidents (always on the rise) but never the number of anti-muslim incidents (which I would guess are far higher these days).
I was very much embarrassed once when attending a school holocaust memorial day as chair of governors, sitting next to our MP who had long fought against the ill-treatment of Palestine. The point of this celebration is usually to broaden out the message about prejudice and discrimination. There were no Jewish kids in the school. The teacher had invited a chap from the Israeli embassy who treated us to a lecture on how Jews were a very special people. How to win friends and influence people.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 18-Mar-16 19:40:39

Information about Oxford University Conservatives and Anti-Semitism

Oxford Tories' nights of port and Nazi songs

Wikipedia Section 6 Controversy

Sorry, can't track down the video.

Eloethan Fri 18-Mar-16 20:36:34

Gerald Kaufman has every right to express his opinion as to the behaviour of Israel - and, as a Jewish person himself, I think it is ridiculous to suggest that he is an "anti-Semite" or, as some have called him, a "self-hating Jew".

The fact is that in the British parliament there are two very powerful pro-Israeli support groups: the Conservative Friends of Israel group, which includes 80% of Conservative MPs, i.e. around 240, and a Labour Friends of Israel group which contains around 79 Labour MPs.

There is a Labour Friends of Palestine group which contains around 131 MPs. There is no Conservative Friends of Palestine group.

If after investigation it is found that any Labour Party members have made anti-semitic comments or behaved in an anti-semitic way, then they should be expelled from the party.

It is worth saying, though, that Conservative MPs such as David Davies of Monmouth and Chris Joannides of Enfield found themselves in deep water for making what can only be described as Islamophobic comments - racism isn't exclusive to one party or aimed at just one ethnic group/nationality. And whilst making stereotypical and denigrating characterisations of a person on the grounds of their ethnicity can never be justified, opposing another country's government's policies and actions is not racist.

trisher Fri 18-Mar-16 21:06:26

Supporting Palestinians and objecting to the actions of Israel which is in breach of so many UN regulations is not anti-semetic. There are a number of Jewish organisations that support this
jfjfp.com/ supporters of Palestine
and
www.ijan.org/ anti Zionists

The anti-semetic allegation is aimed at curbing the growing movement to support the people of Palestine.

POGS Fri 18-Mar-16 21:35:41

Nobody has said supporting Palestine or opposing Israel is Anti Semetic have they? That point has been made repeatedly.

It is not a right wing media/Telegraph story either is it? The accusations have come from within the Labour Party.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 18-Mar-16 21:54:55

POGS did you see my post giving the information you asked Whitewave for?

trisher Fri 18-Mar-16 21:57:03

POGS Venus said "Hostility to Israel is partly caused by antisemitism and is also itself a cause of further antisemitism."
I wanted to show that there are Jews who are opposed to Israeli actions.

POGS Fri 18-Mar-16 22:35:10

Wilma

My apologies I took an unhappy phone call I should have replied to your post, thank you.

If found to be true I have exactly the same feeling, there is no place for Anti Semitism within any party and anyone found to be Anti Semetic should be forced out.

POGS Fri 18-Mar-16 23:07:33

Trisher

I thought Venus made a perfectly sensible comment to be honest. It's similar to saying hatred only generates more hatred.

There are indeed many of the Jewish origin who support Palestine over the 'occupied territory' problem for one. But I dare say they do not go so far as to agree with Hamas who want death to all Jews and if you look at Amnesty International for example Hamas abducted, tortured , murdered Palestinians they accused of collaboration. Yet some organisations are willing to call them their friends and will willingly share a platform with them. There is a blurred line in the mindset of some people in my opinion.

I still come back to the interpretation of what constitutes Anti Semitism and supporting Palestine over certain issues against Israel is not Anti Semetic. There is a far more worrying underbelly of hatred however that is surfacing and I am not afraid to mention it nor hide from the fact it is happening . I have given credit to some Labour MP's but there must be an accepted problem if the party has instigated an Inquiry and there is so much coverage by left/right/center media outlets and commentators and after all isn't it healthy to have debate rather than shove it under the carpet and let matters fester.

blueskies Sat 19-Mar-16 08:51:21

Can we please be aware that Israel pays students to infiltrate forums as trolls to complain of anti Semitism to counter rightful criticism of Israel.

Just saying........

Venus Sat 19-Mar-16 08:52:38

Anti semitism has been around for generations, long before the Palestinian question arose.

Are we discussing anti semitism as we all know it, or the question of Israeli occupation of certain territories?

They are completely separate issues, and should be discussed as such.

The problem seems to arise that there is a section of people who equate them and that is what is fuelling hatred of the Jewish people. Jews have always been scapegoats in pretty much every European country and beyond. This is just another excuse to fuel hatred.

whitewave Sat 19-Mar-16 09:11:05

I feel very uncomfortable looking at this thread.

Nothing or no one in my experience has ever shown any form of anti - semitism in the Labour Party. There are reports of it happening amongst a statistically immaterial number of Labour Party members, as there are with the Tory Party. They are dealt with appropriately.

Discussing it gives fuel to these people, don't give them any form of thought. They simply need shutting down - pronto!

Venus Sat 19-Mar-16 11:56:01

Really! No form of anti semitism in the Labour Party?

In 2014, Vicki Kirby was warned by the Labour Pary for posting anti semitic tweets. 'We invented Israel when saving them from Hitler, who now seems to be their teacher,' she wrote. She also asked why Isis was not attacking the 'real oppressor, 'evil' Israel. A picture of Corbyn and Kirby, smiling happily together, has been circulating online.

Last week, Gerry Dowling was expelled from the Labour Party, but only after David Cameron raised his case at Prime Minister's Questions, after having been allowed to re-join following a previous expulsion. Dowling believes that Zionism is at the heart of global capitalism and he advocates reopening the 'Jewish Question'. He also said explicitly what Kirby implied - that terrorism is the violence of the oppressed and should never be condemned; it is fundamentally defensive against the real aggression, which is the violence of the global system, of which Jews and Zionism are a key element.

Labour now has a leader who supports the campaign for a boycott of Israel, who prefers anti-Israel politics to the politics of peace and who has shown himself to be quite unable to recognise antisemitism.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 19-Mar-16 12:06:06

POGS no need to apologise, just wanted to be sure the information didn't get hidden amongst lots of larger posts. Sorry to hear about your phone call. flowers