Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Cameron to give a statement to the house tomorrow

(84 Posts)
Gracesgran Sun 20-Mar-16 23:32:23

Now that should be interesting smile

durhamjen Tue 22-Mar-16 19:26:03

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/03/22/ids-compassionate-department-ignored-cries-for-help-for-year

durhamjen Tue 22-Mar-16 19:11:37

Maybe they hope if they say it often enough, someone other than their own backbenchers will believe them.
They all said it today as if they knew what they were talking about.

whitewave Tue 22-Mar-16 11:16:26

Compassionate conservative is a bit of an oxymoron the two don't sit well together.

durhamjen Tue 22-Mar-16 11:04:03

Your last post does not make sense, roses. There is no party line on the EU, so how can you say they may toe the party line?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ruthless-tory-stephen-crabb-taking-7603860

This is an interesting way for Crabb to start his new job.
Do you think the DWP should still be hounding these people?
They are Crabb's constituents.
Should he show a bit of compassion, as a compassionate conservative?
Or is it only Cameron who is one of those?

whitewave Tue 22-Mar-16 10:33:17

I think he looks exhausted at times. Is he off to Spain at Easter?

Blinko Tue 22-Mar-16 10:18:15

I think DC is looking rather peaky nowadays.....

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 10:12:44

Although both the left and right ( and middle) are all split on the EU, they may toe the party line, but the referendum is going to be interesting ( as well as highly important) and as many on the left may vote for leaving as those on the right.

whitewave Tue 22-Mar-16 10:07:10

Fascinating how every interview with a Tory is discussed through the prism of the EU. The words may say things like we support the disabled and poor and one Toryism etc but it is patently obvious what is going on!

GillT57 Tue 22-Mar-16 09:58:35

My DM who has always voted Conservative is so disgusted with the budget, irrespective of any u turns or promises of no further cuts to benefits to the disabled, that she feels unable to vote for them again. OK, not earth shattering news, but multiply that around the electorate, people who are decent, work hard, pay their taxes etc., are sickened by this. People like my Mother are not activists, just quietly vote for who they think will do the best job of running the country, for the party that they think best represent their ideals, and it is an awful let down at nearly 85 to find that they do not represent your beliefs and are a nasty, selfish group of people who you do not like. It doesnt matter how many statements or explanations are issued, how many MPs stand up in the house and explain that we all misunderstood the intent and that actually there wont be any reduction in DLA/PIP payments, the trust has been broken between decent people like my Mother and the Conservative party and will never be mended. A step too far for most.
On a personal level, as rosesared said, some of the budget has been good, and DH and I will be a few pounds a week better off as a result of tax changes, but I dont want their stinking money if it is at the expense of someone else being able to afford a carer for another hour. They have seriously got it wrong.

Gracesgran Tue 22-Mar-16 09:57:50

thought not though

Gracesgran Tue 22-Mar-16 09:56:20

But that is what you would get if you voted for Corbyn et al..... The hard left.

Who said I would vote for him? I certainly haven't. I have said I like the economics they are discussing - is that what makes you think you know? I would say that huge numbers of people have believed in Keynesian economic since the 1930 and that is basically what Labour are discussing. The "new" economics of GO are, as yet unproven and appear to be falling apart at the seams currently.

If you are interested in how I would vote - and you would appear to be - I will look at what each party believes and see if my beliefs concur. I would certainly not just vote for a party because it carries a particular name and it looks to me as if quite a few of the Conservative MPs do not believe the party they are serving is the party they though would bear that name. Of course this is also true of the Labour party at the moment. This may persuade some to vote and some not too - in each case. Interesting times smile

(You still have told me in what way my post was unkind. As you saw fit to judge me you might be decent enough to do so.)

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 09:52:40

That's the nature of a forum.

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 09:51:59

Of course it is dear GG but am pointing out that I am not a wealthy person looking down on the masses, just somebody who happens to think that although the Conservatives have made some mistakes, overall they are doing a good enough job.Of course you and others here will not agree because you have different aims.Others on the forum will agree with me.

Gracesgran Tue 22-Mar-16 09:47:31

I'm far from wealthy.

But, dear Roses this is not about you it is about everyone.

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 09:45:31

Most in this thread DO want it.

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 09:44:28

But that is what you would get if you voted for Corbyn et al..... The hard left.

Gracesgran Tue 22-Mar-16 09:42:41

Dear oh dear.

If there was a GE next week, and it was a choice between Cameron and Corbyn, the public would vote for Cameron, don't fool yourself on this.The electorate do not want any extreme left running the country, however much you may want it.

That is an opinion not a fact Roses and you have no idea whether or not I want the extreme left running the country. What I said in my post was about this government's extreme capitalism - I didn't mention Corbyn or a government run by him. Critical thinking rather than knee jerk reaction is always useful.

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 09:42:05

Just saying.

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 09:41:17

I'm far from wealthy.

Anniebach Tue 22-Mar-16 09:40:13

The budget made the poor poorer and the wealthy wealthier - fact.

So Rosesarered is correct, if one is wealthy it's a good budget and as risesesarered posted on the budget thread - she thinks it was a good budget

Gracesgran Tue 22-Mar-16 09:37:47

It rather infers that if I write unkind posts I am personally unkind roses as I am sure you are aware I do not write thoughtlessly. Please - as I do not understand what was unkind about it and would not like to repeat it - explain just why you read it as "un-Christian and unkind".

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 09:31:33

And.... My saying that it is black and white childish thinking is not calling 'people names.'

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 09:29:46

And.... Somebody must put an opposing point of view to you on this thread,
Otherwise you will all get very bored.

rosesarered Tue 22-Mar-16 09:27:54

Your post was unkind GG ( you yourself may be an angel.)
No budget IS all bad or good, by ANY government.
If there was a GE next week, and it was a choice between Cameron and Corbyn, the public would vote for Cameron, don't fool yourself on this.The electorate do not want any extreme left running the country, however much you may want it.

Gracesgran Tue 22-Mar-16 09:21:29

Roses you really must be the greatest cheerleader the Conservatives have smile

A budget is never all good or all bad, (like anything else) to think differently from that is childish black and white blinkered thinking.

Of course you can call people names if it makes you feel better but that will not change the fact that even if the changes to PIP were totally justifiable (which I really doubt) they were put in budget where almost exactly the same amount was taken off the disabled as was given to the wealthy. I imagine you, personally, could justify even that but you must recognise that the vast majority will find it crass and unfeeling in the least and a questionable economic move generally.

I noticed on Sky news last night that they interviewed quite a few people who said this may well be the last time they will vote Tories - the first time I have seen such crack in Conservative stalwarts so it is not just those inclined away from this government's extreme capitalism who have a problem with this budget and this Chancellor.

(By the way I certainly object to your post saying that I was un-Christian and unkind. I rather think this personal name calling is not in the spirit of Gransnet - or I hope it isn't)