Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ronnie Corbett has died

(25 Posts)
kaybh Thu 31-Mar-16 12:19:13

at 85. very sad day - their sketches used to have our whole family in stitches. A different class of entertainment back then that we sadly don't see much any more sad

chelseababy Thu 31-Mar-16 12:22:28

It's goodbye from him.....

hildajenniJ Thu 31-Mar-16 12:31:27

chelseababy that was the first thought that came into my head too. Sad day.

I hope this link works .this is the best

POGS Thu 31-Mar-16 12:36:00

His turn to 'look down on us' today.

Always sad news to hear of someone's death but he was such a character and the Two Ronnie's were iconic .

Hope you keep um laughing where ever you are.

Charleygirl Thu 31-Mar-16 12:37:26

The Two Ronnies was one of the best shows ever.

ninathenana Thu 31-Mar-16 12:51:39

Sad day.
Two Ronnies ..........reunited

Alima Thu 31-Mar-16 14:29:26

What a sad day for entertainment. A lovely man. The two Ronnies will keep them laughing in heaven. So it is good night from us.

mollie Thu 31-Mar-16 14:38:30

I won't say it's sad because he had a good innings and hadn't been well for a while but it's certainly the end of an era. Say what you like about the 70s, 80s being sexist, racist etc but we had some great comedy shows and teams and the Two Ronnies were about the best. I expect they'll have everyone 'up there' rolling about laughing already...

PRINTMISS Thu 31-Mar-16 14:48:47

I agree Mollie and we shall so miss the innuendos we no longer hear from the really great comedians, and small as he was he was a great comedian. A sad loss for us all.

rubysmoke Thu 31-Mar-16 14:59:04

I still remember the great musical treats he had and still sing along with their versions when I am listening to Clasical fm. Showing my age, but they don't come like that any more, more's the pity

TerriBull Thu 31-Mar-16 15:40:02

What a shame, he always came across as fairly robust for his age he didn't really look 85, not doddery in the way Sir Brucie seems to be. To quote that over used cliche he was a national treasure he will be missed.

merlotgran Thu 31-Mar-16 17:08:53

Comedians of that era seemed to put so much more effort into their routines. Comic timing was always spot on and although some of the jokes may have been non pc by today's standards you didn't feel there was any offence intended (Bernard Manning excepted)

Apart from John Bishop and a few others, most present day comedians just stand and shout at the audience and spout a load of unfunny nonsense.

RIP Ronnie.

NotTooOld Thu 31-Mar-16 18:24:29

A sad day. He was a great comedian, especially teamed with Ronnie Barker. I shall imagine them sitting together somewhere making up new jokes.

TerriBull Thu 31-Mar-16 20:56:09

I hope I don't get pilloried for this, but I am watching a Ronnie Corbett tribute at the moment, whilst I think The Two Ronnies had undoubtedly flashes of brilliance, who can forget four candles/fork handles sketch, however completely forgot how unbelievably sexist some of the content was shock different days I know. I wasn't going to say anything but my husband, who loved them too, just commented "I can't believe how puerile some of these sketches they are embarrassing" They did actually show a parody of their more toe curling sketches played by Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones of Not the Nine O'clock News which I did find funny.

Maybe you have to watch the worst of these sketches to appreciate they were in a time warp. It jolted my memory somewhat because latterly I think he was great.

FarNorth Thu 31-Mar-16 21:12:17

hildajj that's astonishing.

annsixty Thu 31-Mar-16 21:17:46

Their timing in The Two Ronnie's was superb but some of the sketches were rather stupid and have not stood the test of time, however they were good in a lot of things and will be remembered by people of our age. My teen GC who are staying this week had never heard of him so it is not right to say he will be missed.

Jalima Thu 31-Mar-16 21:31:23

I prefer their humour to some of the unbelievably crassness, stupidity and just plain nastiness that passes for 'humour' these days, though Terribull.

TerriBull Thu 31-Mar-16 21:35:18

If you're talking Frankie Boyle for example, and his so called humour I agree Jalima. I guess some humour stands the test of time, Fawlty Towers for example, and other stuff doesn't.

Cath9 Fri 01-Apr-16 09:49:00

i loved the way he used to wriggle his glasses.
If they haven't gone already, we seem to be losing quite a lot of celebrities of the Golden Age,

Lilyflower Fri 01-Apr-16 09:51:31

A truly amiable man. I don't know if he wrote his own material but I have just been reading lists of Ronnie Corbett's jokes and they are truly hilarious - without one of them being ill natured or vicious. I know Ronnie Barker was a true wordsmith and wrote 'The Two Ronnies'.

nipsmum Fri 01-Apr-16 11:12:27

Goodnight to Ronnie. We will miss all these people. From way back Harry Secombe. Morecambe and Wise The 2 Ronnies. Terry Wogan and even Paul Daniels. The comedians of our youth and middle age. How many of today's comedians will be remembered in 20 years time?

Irenelily Fri 01-Apr-16 12:22:56

I feel truly sad for Anne and the girls, Emma and Sophie were at the local primary school where I taught. Ronnie opened the school fete and Anne helped in the infants - she liked washing paint pots, they had a wonderful marriage and were a lovely family. Remember, however good the innings - it is never long enough for loved ones.

LullyDully Fri 01-Apr-16 22:54:05

I have been enjoying the clips shown and have such fond memories of the two Ronnies. But I can't help but wince at the blatant sexism of some of it , as you do Terribull. Amazing as I never thought twice about it at the time.

absent Sat 02-Apr-16 05:46:59

Autre temps, autre moeurs.

Teetime Sat 02-Apr-16 09:09:59

I really enjoyed the tribute programme on BBC last night and laughed all overa gain. Sad to hear that he had MND. RIP flowers