Gransnet forums

News & politics

Referendum leaflets

(87 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 08-Apr-16 21:59:58

Am I alone in being appalled that £9 million of our money is to be spent on pro-EU leaflets for every house on behalf of the government? Where is the £9 million for the leave campaign? This is so undemocratic.

I plan to send mine back to the PM at No 10.

Granny23 Tue 12-Apr-16 13:01:20

I don't know of any EU booklets being delivered here and am wondering if it would be legal to send them out in Scotland, NI/Wales/London now that we are in the official campaign period for the Scottish/Welsh/NI parliaments and for London Mayor. All leaflets/posters/badges etc. have to be accounted for within the allowable spend limits for each candidate/party.

I do not understand the need for such haste in having the referendum, especially when many feel that they do not understand the issues involved. I have never known a time when people have so little faith in the Government of the day and such contempt for politicians in general. Comments I have heard on doorsteps range from 'Wouldnae trust them as far as I could throw them', 'Couldnae organise a piss up in a brewery' to the Scottish version 'Couldnae run a Menage'

Jalima Tue 12-Apr-16 14:25:18

I have never known a time when people have so little faith in the Government of the day and such contempt for politicians in general.
Oh, I have!!

Jalima Tue 12-Apr-16 14:30:06

Still waiting for our leaflet, I must not read any more posts about it until it arrives and I have read it grin

Luckygirl Tue 12-Apr-16 14:31:58

Just about to go for my walk and will place it in the post box - in an envelope with Cameron's address on - oh whoops! - I have forgotten to put a stamp on.

NfkDumpling Tue 12-Apr-16 14:37:20

But FarNorth at least we wouldn't have to deal with all those extra numpties in Brussels wot all speak foreign!

I've just read my leaflet. Took all of two minutes. It doesn't seem fair that the government can use our money to give a completely biased opinion. It would have been different if it was a balanced for and against argument. Don't like it and it's made me even more determined to "Dew Diffrunt" and vote Out.

NfkDumpling Tue 12-Apr-16 14:39:07

Thanks for the post code Alima - I shall be posting mine back with an appropriately worded note

Luckygirl Tue 12-Apr-16 14:47:04

What also bugs me (apart from the expenditure) is that it lies - it says that the government favours staying in - but that is not true - there are lots of members of the government who do not agree.

Nonnie Tue 12-Apr-16 15:38:52

Are you all 'Brexits'? As yet we haven't heard all the arguments but I simply think there is no way the EU will let us have it easy if we leave as that would set a precedent and encourage others to do the same. I think they will be very uncooperative but I wait to hear what comes out when the campaign gets going. No, I didn't go on the thread about it, by the time I saw it it was too big to read and join in.

Luckygirl Tue 12-Apr-16 15:43:11

I still do not know which way to vote.

Alima Tue 12-Apr-16 15:47:37

ooh Nonnie, do you think they will blackmail us if we opt to leave?
There is a prog on 2 tonight with Nick Robinson. I like him, do you think he will give facts or spin, hopefully the latter.

Ana Tue 12-Apr-16 15:50:26

confused

Hopefully not the latter, I'd have thought!

Alima Tue 12-Apr-16 16:01:15

Well spotted Ana, should be "hopefully the former". Gawd, and they trust me with a vote.

Nonnie Tue 12-Apr-16 16:10:49

Alima out tonight, please let me know if it was worth watching. I like him too.

Not sure I would go so far as blackmail but I can't see how it could be in their interest to be particularly kind to us because of the message it would send out.

Devorgilla Tue 12-Apr-16 16:29:29

Yes, I too have just received the booklet and cannot believe how sparse it it. Personally I think this vote is coming along all too quickly. A few extra months of education on the topic, especially for the young, would have been beneficial. I am not a fan of the quick response to whatever is the flavour of the month for the media or the warring factions in the political sphere or elsewhere. This issue is vitally important and should be treated as such and not with the 'knee-jerk' reaction from those who claim to be better at running things than the rest of us.

hildajenniJ Tue 12-Apr-16 16:35:15

A twelve page booklet. Telling me nothing that I didn't already know. I don't know how we will avoid further political integration,as it isn't explained. This booklet leaves a lot to be desired. I think it was a gigantic waste of money.

harrigran Tue 12-Apr-16 17:23:17

No leaflets here, but I don't need to read one as the only way is out. Holland wants a referendum and if we go they will probably follow.

FarNorth Tue 12-Apr-16 17:27:54

This issue is vitally important and should be treated as such and not with the 'knee-jerk' reaction from those who claim to be better at running things than the rest of us.
Totally agree, Devorgilla.

The media seem to think it's all about "Is David Cameron popular or not". It's a little bit more important than that.

thatbags Tue 12-Apr-16 17:42:59

Gosh, pompa! Are you sure about what you said at 11:57:29 about not being registered to vote in a referendum even if one is registered to vote in a General Election and local elections? I renew our voting registrations once a year online. As I understood it that qualifies us to vote in any relevant political election or referendum. Surely if one's a registered, resident British voter, it is automatic?

thatbags Tue 12-Apr-16 17:46:30

Just checked info on BBC website about this. This is what it says:

British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens over 18 who are resident in the UK, along with UK nationals living abroad who have been on the electoral register in the UK in the past 15 years. Members of the House of Lords and Commonwealth citizens in Gibraltar will also be eligible, unlike in a general election. Citizens from EU countries - apart from Ireland, Malta and Cyprus - will not get a vote.

Looks straightforward to me.

Ana Tue 12-Apr-16 17:48:47

From The Electoral Commission:
To vote in an election or referendum, you must be on the electoral register.

Ana Tue 12-Apr-16 17:49:24

x posts bags

pompa Tue 12-Apr-16 17:55:28

Thatbags. Having looked at the web site, I was not sure if we were registered for a postal vote in the referendum. Th web site said that you had to contact your council as records were not held on line. The lady I spoke to said it would have depended on what we originally asked for, which I could not remember. She willingly checked for me and confirmed that we were registered for both, but it was not always the case. That may onl y apply to postal votes, but that was all I was concerned about so did not ask otherwise.

Ana Tue 12-Apr-16 17:57:08

Ah, thanks for that clarification pompa. I shall have to check my own status re my postal vote.

pompa Tue 12-Apr-16 17:59:11

Sorry about all the typos. It would appear the this is only a concern if you want a postal vote.

nannymoocow Tue 12-Apr-16 20:14:06

I would rather the money spent on this booklet had gone towards my pension (1950s WASPI lady) rather than on this leaflet. I will be returning it freepost to The Conservative Party.