Gransnet forums

News & politics

London Mayoral Election

(367 Posts)
JessM Mon 11-Apr-16 14:38:55

Doesn't seem to be a thread on this. Most GN members won't have a vote but we all have an interest in how the Capital functions and the Mayor's office has a fair amount of power over things like transport.
In the blue corner we have Zak Goldsmith child of Sir James and Lady Annabel, brother to Jemima Khan. Previous jobs editor of The Ecologist (gift from his uncle) and Tory MP for Richmond.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zac_Goldsmith
And in the red corner Sadiq Khan, son of Amanullah Khan, who worked as a London bus driver for over 25 years; his mother, Sehrun. Human rights lawyer and then a Labour MP Tooting.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadiq_Khan
How will London vote in a few weeks time? And if you have a vote - who do you favour and why?

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 19:00:22

It was not out of order Alea, carry on playing judge and jury with your supporter , I said nothing out of order

Riverwalk, ok I may be ignorant but I am honest and I am content with that

Riverwalk Wed 04-May-16 19:15:30

What's honest about being so ignorant of basic facts - and going on to talk about given names and that they run Jewish schools?

Iam64 Wed 04-May-16 19:28:25

I can't work out whether annieb is deliberately using derogatory words to describe people of the Jewish faith/race in posts here and on the Ken Livingstone thread - or whether you genuinely don't understand how offensive you're being annieb

You are sensitive, thoughtful and kind about many other minority groups.

TerriBull Wed 04-May-16 19:42:26

I had an Iraqi Jewish friend I met at Postnatal classes. I believe the Saatchi Brothers are also Iraqi Jews. Many Arabic countries had Jewish as well as Christian minorities.

whitewave Wed 04-May-16 19:43:49

Go with the sensitive, thoughtful and kind iam64

durhamjen Wed 04-May-16 19:45:01

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/03/luxury-flat-developers-reuben-linked-to-46000-of-donations-to-zac-goldsmith

This seems to have been forgotten about.
The basic facts are that the Reuben brothers are Iraqi Jews, who were born in India, do a lot of offshore stuff, made lots of their money in Russia, have an organisation which runs private Jewish schools which banks offshore in the BVI among other British tax havens.
They own the Tory party HQ building, and lots of real estate in London.
Personally, if I were Zac, I'd think it was a bit cheapskate being given £46,000 from the richest people in the country. However, the problem is that none of it was given directly.

durhamjen Wed 04-May-16 19:50:24

"The billionaire property investors David and Simon Reuben have been linked to £46,000 in donations received by Zac Goldsmith. The developers last week secured approval for a controversial proposal to turn a London landmark into hundreds of luxury flats from the incumbent mayor, Boris Johnson.

The bulk of these donations, received by the MP and Conservative London mayoral candidate since the general election, either came from the children of the Reuben brothers or from entities overseen by them but none of them was listed as being made from a person with the Reuben name.

The Reuben brothers, who were born in India, first rose to prominence doing business in post-Soviet Russia before buying up several London landmarks, including John Lewis’s headquarters on Oxford Street. According to the Sunday Times they are now Britain’s richest family with a combined fortune of £13.1bn.

Last Thursday Boris Johnson’s team approved the brothers’ plans for 207 luxury flats and a 150-room boutique hotel at Millbank Tower, near the palace of Westminster."

And the small matter of them building a lot of luxury flats with not a single affordable home among them, which again I thought illegal.
Zac must approve of this. If he is elected mayor because of his dirty tactics, this will happen more often. Zac has shown over the past few weeks that he cannot stand up for himself against the likes of Johnson, Cameron and Osborne.

durhamjen Wed 04-May-16 19:53:15

I am sure not all Iraqi Jews are like the Reuben brothers. However, I do not think anyone said they were. Just like not all Christians are like Anniebach, more's the pity.

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 19:59:05

So? they are wealthy business people and donors to the Conservative Party.There are plenty of wealthy business people donating money to the Labour Party.Is your point that they are Jewish, filthy rich or give money to Goldsmith for his campaign?

Riverwalk Wed 04-May-16 20:02:39

I'm well aware of the activities of the Reuben family and am a long-time critic of Zionism and the state of Israel.

But I do despair of talk of Jews, Iraqi's, Jewish schools, and an Iraqi & Jew marry.

It smacks of anti-Semitism.

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 20:05:04

Seeing who the criticism is from - I don't care sorry

whitewave Wed 04-May-16 20:05:53

Gently does it folks. There are better ways of making your point without throwing such accusations around.

Iam64 Wed 04-May-16 20:10:20

Thanks Riverwalk, for setting out so concisely, your views, which are similar to the ones expressed by so many of us on this thread.

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 20:12:57

Just what is anti Semitic to say two Jewish brothers run Jewidh schools , I accept it's the in thing to condemn anyone who critises Jews but I have criticise Israel not every Jew that walks the earth.

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 20:14:48

How is talking of iraqi's anti Semitic ?

durhamjen Wed 04-May-16 20:24:23

As usual, roses, you missed the important bit.
They are filthy rich people that the Tories paid their rent to while they were not paying tax in this country.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2010/11/13/the-tories-landlord/

This is how lots of problems start. People miss the most important bits.
I presume Annie found out about them being Jewish Iraqis and also running Jewish private schools which hide their profits offshore because she followed what I was saying.
What I was saying is true.

Personally, I do not care where they come from, so long as they pay their taxes.
By the way, they were born in India.

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 20:27:16

It was hardly an important bit djen.Not in the great scheme of things.

Riverwalk Wed 04-May-16 20:28:03

It's anti-Semitic to keep referring to the fekkers as Jews! And talk of mixed blood!

And Cliff fuckin' Richard and Joanna 'effin Lumley were born in India - what's that got to do with the price of fish?

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 20:30:10

'Found out about them being Jewish Iraqis and also running Jewish schools which hide their profits off shore' ......
Dear oh dear.

whitewave Wed 04-May-16 20:30:15

Whoa shock

durhamjen Wed 04-May-16 20:32:09

www.andywightman.com/archives/105

The Millbank building is the one they have got planning permission for to turn into flats, without any being affordable.
Does nobody care about those who cannot afford to live in London any more because of rich people like these who buy lots of property up and price out those who have to live and work in London?

This thread is about the Mayor of London, who is being voted for tomorrow.
Has anybody read about this in any other newspaper?

granjura Wed 04-May-16 20:32:36

An awful lot of people do seem to think that it is a big problem that many Muslim schools are run by filthy rich people from Saudi (I do btw).

durhamjen Wed 04-May-16 20:33:56

"The scheme was contested in part because it envisaged more expensive accommodation in a city with the second-highest house prices in the world. Lambeth council opposed the scheme pointing out that there was no affordable housing provision, and city planners had suggested that a £57m “financial contribution in mitigation is an appropriate alternative”.

However, in one of its last acts before this Thursday’s election, the mayor’s office accepted the “maximum reasonable amount of affordable housing in this instance is zero”, did not request any compensation and gave the go-ahead for the scheme.
The stories you need to read, in one handy email
Read more

Sadiq Khan has said that half of any new housing development will have to be “affordable”. A spokesman for Labour’s mayoral candidate described the Reubens’ scheme as “unacceptable … there’s no affordable homes at all in this scheme and Zac Goldsmith in City Hall would only mean more of the same”."

This is what should matter to those who live in London.

durhamjen Wed 04-May-16 20:35:55

So you are not concerned about people paying their taxes, roses?
Explains a lot.

Riverwalk Wed 04-May-16 20:43:24

Durham yes those of us who live and vote in London are well aware of the goings-on with property development.

That's why Sadiq Khan will tomorrow be voted-in as the next Mayor of London.