Gransnet forums

News & politics

London Mayoral Election

(367 Posts)
JessM Mon 11-Apr-16 14:38:55

Doesn't seem to be a thread on this. Most GN members won't have a vote but we all have an interest in how the Capital functions and the Mayor's office has a fair amount of power over things like transport.
In the blue corner we have Zak Goldsmith child of Sir James and Lady Annabel, brother to Jemima Khan. Previous jobs editor of The Ecologist (gift from his uncle) and Tory MP for Richmond.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zac_Goldsmith
And in the red corner Sadiq Khan, son of Amanullah Khan, who worked as a London bus driver for over 25 years; his mother, Sehrun. Human rights lawyer and then a Labour MP Tooting.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadiq_Khan
How will London vote in a few weeks time? And if you have a vote - who do you favour and why?

Jalima Wed 25-May-16 15:09:56

I was reading an interview with Farage (sorry)
that has made me grin durhamjen

durhamjen Wed 25-May-16 18:00:24

There are occasions when you have to do something you do not like, Jalima; for the greater good, you understand.

Jalima Wed 25-May-16 19:30:00

grin
whose good? (not yours probably!)

durhamjen Wed 25-May-16 19:51:08

The greater good of non-kippers?
I must admit, I found it hard. I imagine the interviewer did as well!

Jalima Wed 25-May-16 19:52:22

Hope you had a lie down in a darkened room afterwards

Or did you have a pint?

durhamjen Wed 25-May-16 20:37:44

I was at my son's when I read it, looking after the grandchildren as my son and his partner were out running.
What was really strange was that it was sunny when I started reading it, but when I finished the sky went dark and we had hailstone, thunder and lightning.
I bet Farage does not believe in climate change, either.

Jalima Wed 25-May-16 20:41:29

so it was a darkened room hmm
scary

JessM Thu 26-May-16 20:21:08

Nathan Gill UKIP Wales definitely does not believe in climate change. Not sure whether this is Mormon thing or just a stupid thing?

durhamjen Sat 28-May-16 01:08:39

Just read that the Brexit campaign is led by climate change deniers. It's not just Farage.

www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/brexit-campaign-leadership-dominated-by-climate-sceptics/

Johnson, Gove and Lawson.

durhamjen Sat 28-May-16 01:13:13

I wonder what will happen to the climate if the brexiters win. Have I had a portent?

Alea Sat 28-May-16 06:49:39

confused
I think our climate will probably remain unchanged. (A bigger thing than a vote)
Or have you indeed had a portent, as you say?
(See below, to be read in a strong Borsetshire accent for English authenticity)

" St Swithun’s day Referendum day if thou dost rain Brexit obtain
For forty days it will remain
St Swithun’s day Referendum day if thou be fair and they don't get there
For forty days ‘twill rain nae mare"

(What has this to do with the London Mayoral elections BTW?)

Alea Sat 28-May-16 08:22:51

☀️ or ☔️ Is it really our choice?

Alea Sat 28-May-16 11:45:54

Should this not be on the EU Referendum thread anyway?

Gracesgran Sat 28-May-16 12:08:27

I watched the London Assembly Mayor's Question Time - the equivalent of PMQs - yesterday. It was a breath of fresh air. The members could put forward questions - usually written but they could have follow up questions to clarify. Their desks were in a horse shoe shape with the Mayor on his own at the top - no cronies smile. The questions and answer could not be political; they had to be about the substance. One clever little Conservative thought he was an MP but was told not to be political and Sadiq Khan - so soon after the election - so not surprising wandered into election speak at one point but was again pulled back. He could not ask questions but had to answer those put to him. He could prevaricate of course but it would have been very obvious and there was no barracking, jeering or braying. Oh that parliament could be like that and the PM held to similar account.

JessM Sat 28-May-16 19:45:24

Not surprised Durhamjen there are a lot of bah-humbuggers amongst those who wish to leave.

JessM Mon 30-May-16 08:10:54

Khan is out campaigning for REMAIN in EU today with Cameron. Impressed that Khan has not let any grudges about attacks by Cameron during the mayoral election campaign get in the way of the greater good.