Gransnet forums

News & politics

John Whittingdale

(37 Posts)
Nonnie Wed 13-Apr-16 16:07:31

Does anyone care about his private life?

obieone Wed 13-Apr-16 19:28:21

Abs point

suzied Wed 13-Apr-16 19:31:31

Why would a sex worker advertise on a dating website?
To get more business?
Cynical? Moi?

Iam64 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:03:27

grin

Eloethan Wed 13-Apr-16 20:31:34

whitewave Exactly.

rosesarered Wed 13-Apr-16 20:58:06

Non story, non story non story, however much some on the forum would like it to be more.grin

POGS Wed 13-Apr-16 21:06:55

For goodness sake does nobody else see the pure b----y irony of mentioning of ' Hacked Off' and ' Leveson'.

I am thinking of two prominent Hacked Off devotees Hugh Grant and Max Mosely. The reason behind their wanting the press to be ' stifled ' was because of sex scandals and subsequent press releases.

Mosely said "The British Press has repeatedly gone beyond the bounds of civilised behaviour"

It would appear for some it depends as to whether or not they can get some squalid political point scoring out of it. What's that old saying about " those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", it can come back and bite you on the ass.

rosesarered Wed 13-Apr-16 21:09:55

POGS exactly.

daphnedill Thu 14-Apr-16 01:58:25

Whittingdale had given Max Mosley a moral lecture in 2009 during a Commons hearing of his select committee. He told Mosley: โ€œYou are a public figure and you know the British press. You know the appetite of the British press for stories of this kind. Had you not always felt this was a time bomb that sooner or later was going to go off?โ€

www.byline.com/project/48/article/966

I couldn't care less what Whittingdale (or Mosley) get up to in private, but there's a definite whiff of double standards. Given his role in regulating the press, there's definitely a conflict of interest and Whittingdale needs shunting off to something else.

whitewave Thu 14-Apr-16 09:08:13

Whittingdale as Media and culture secretary is sympathetic to the media and is not keen on Leveson. The press were/are keen therefore to keep him in post

Whittingdale had an affair with a sex worker.

Press decided that it wasn't in their interest to publish what they knew as they were keen to keep him in post

Private Eye published this information.

Whittingdale is toast but not before the referendum.

Teetime Thu 14-Apr-16 09:38:00

Did he not noticed that she was extraordinarily accomplished in the bedroom? I think he would have done and enjoyed it but I don't care.

Anniebach Thu 14-Apr-16 10:30:39

So an actor had to take out a court injunction to stop the press printing the story of his sexual antics , but the press decided the Secretary of State for culture - who can wield the axe on the press - and his affair with a dominatrix was not in the public interest. I am not interested if they were into kinky sex or just holding hands , if the press decides his relationship was not in the public interest they must apply the same to all relationships , I assume there will no longer be kiss and tell stories in the British press ?