Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Tipping Point

(156 Posts)
Gracesgran Sun 17-Apr-16 12:49:49

I have been long aware that the extreme capitalists currently running the government will destroy our NHS and our free education system if they can. I have also thought the tipping point will be because teachers and doctors, nurses, etc., leave so the Conservatives can say "this isn't working - we must privatise". I am very worried that this is nearer than we think. I recently heard a senior doctor involved in the running of a hospital say that of 14 jobs on offer for September (those junior doctors would usually rush to ensure they had got) they had only managed to fill four!

I have just read an article in the Economist - hardly left wing and often supporting the conservative view point - and feel we are reaching the same position in teaching - again very quickly.

Teacher workload - all work and low pay

My daughter teaches at an FE college where teachers are just quietly leaving. She - like many of the others who are left - is planning her exit strategy. The only ones who seem to be staying are those approaching retirement and many of those are finding the work load impossible. Not, as the article re-enforces, because of teaching - which they tend to have been dedicated to, but because of the level of administration and poor management.

I suggest we all prepare ourselves for the loss of both the NHS and our free education rather quicker than we might have expected.

durhamjen Mon 25-Apr-16 17:25:09

A bit sick. Jeremy Hunt has just said that had Nye Bevan given way to the BMA, there would be no NHS.
I hope he's not comparing himself to Nye Bevan.

Gracesgran Mon 25-Apr-16 17:35:29

I cannot guess where this is going. So many people seem to think there will be an endless supply of doctors - if these leave their places will be filled - that is just so naive.

durhamjen Mon 25-Apr-16 22:00:51

Apparently Jeremy was so frightened of walking past doctors this morning that he was driven 50 yards by chauffeur.

durhamjen Mon 25-Apr-16 23:10:23

Did you watch Dennis Skinner telling Hunt to wipe the smirk off his face?
One of Hunt's problems is he always looks as though he is smirking, so he'd find that difficult.

durhamjen Tue 26-Apr-16 23:08:56

Another tipping point?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-housing-bill-mauled-ministers-7833440

The Lords defeated the Tories on their housing bill eleven times.
The Lords are definitely the opposition these days.