Gransnet forums

News & politics

Police and Crime Commissioner elections.

(51 Posts)
hildajenniJ Mon 02-May-16 19:02:23

On Thursday we are expected to vote for a new Police and Crime Commissioner in our area. This is all, as we have no local elections. I have absolutely no idea who is standing. We have had no communication about it. No-one has been out on the streets giving out leaflets or information. Who do I vote for? How am I expected to vote for any of the candidates, if I don't know who they are, and what they will do in the roll? It will be the first time, but I do not intend to vote.
Does anyone else suffer from this lack of knowledge? Where can I go to find out. The online form asks for postcode, area and candidate name. I do not know their names!!

JessM Sun 08-May-16 08:36:51

The rest of the bunch are getting counted today I guess. Certainly ours is.

durhamjen Fri 06-May-16 18:14:05

The same one got in in Durham, the labour candidate.
Like others on here, I am not sure if it should be a political appointment. However, he was a serving police officer for over thirty years. When you think what Theresa May is doing to the police force, it has to be political.

whitewave Fri 06-May-16 17:00:25

Not doing a very good job in South Yorkshire

Pittcity Fri 06-May-16 16:56:07

26% turnout in the Essex PCC election. Twice as many as last time!
Looks like the Conservatives have won them all in this part of the country.

durhamjen Thu 05-May-16 22:25:42

First he said he wanted to get rid of the position; then he said he would take a cut in salary as he could only spare one day a week for the job.
I somehow do not think he wants it.

rosesarered Thu 05-May-16 22:22:00

Turkeys voting for Christmas!

durhamjen Thu 05-May-16 21:07:50

The LibDem candidate in Durham wants to get rid of the PCC, so it will be interesting to see if he wins and what he then does.

Jalima Thu 05-May-16 21:02:38

that was in answer to whitewave

Jalima Thu 05-May-16 21:02:04

Ensure the standards to which the police should aspire but do not always manage are upheld:

www.ipcc.gov.uk/investigations/chief-constable-investigation-avon-and-somerset-police

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-May-16 20:42:18

One of ours was a woman roses. (best man win) Think I voted for her.

whitewave Thu 05-May-16 20:23:36

What do they do?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-May-16 20:22:14

Until I got there, I mean.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-May-16 20:21:33

I just voted according to the political parties they stand for. Haven't a clue about the actual people. Didn't even know we had to vote for a police thingy.

rosesarered Thu 05-May-16 18:04:43

Done our civic duty today ( Police Commissioners) had to Google them to find out what they stood for mind you, no leaflets through the door here.May the best man win!

kittylester Thu 05-May-16 17:34:39

Ooops, I've just realised that I forgot to go and I'm in my scruffs now and I'm not changing again! blush

cornergran Thu 05-May-16 16:22:56

Googled our candidates and postal voted. May be the only one in this area! Today's local paper contains details on all the candidates - seems a bit late. If it's going to be done for goodness sake do it properly. Sorry, rant over.

nigglynellie Thu 05-May-16 15:36:35

I've no idea who our candidates are or anything about them! Not so much as a flyer,as you really can't vote for somebody you know nothing about, neither DH or I will be voting.

obieone Thu 05-May-16 15:00:26

Googled to find out whose idea it was - appears to have been Teresa May.

obieone Thu 05-May-16 14:57:01

I am not going. Decided I want the turnout to be ridiculously low so it is all scrapped.

M0nica Thu 05-May-16 14:50:40

I went and cast my vote for the police commissioner today, the only election we have in our area and I did what I said I would do, I spoiled my vote, putting one big cross on the whole ballot paper.

Being expected to vote in an election where I know nothing about any of the candidates is a travesty of democracy.

annodomini Thu 05-May-16 10:00:17

Neither did we, Teetime. It came as a surprise when my postal vote arrived. None of the candidates had provided any information about their policies or their track record in this area of activity. So I crossed my fingers and voted according to my political affiliation.

Teetime Thu 05-May-16 09:40:17

We didn't get any leaflets or any canvassing. One of our candidates an Independent (a doctor) has vowed to cut admin costs of the post so she will get my vote this morning. Use it or lose it suppose - vote wise that is.

daphnedill Thu 05-May-16 08:16:48

We don't have any police in my area :-( My district council doesn't have a police station and the council is sacking a third of the PCSOs :-( :-(

NfkDumpling Thu 05-May-16 07:49:13

Only police commissioner election for us. We've had good coverage in Norfolk by the local paper, the trouble is I decided who to vote for on paper and we've posted off our postal ballots. Then they had interviews on tv. The chap I voted for for first choice seems a bit of a numpty and I want to swop my vote!

JessM Thu 05-May-16 07:26:26

Please all vote - if only to ensure that none of the UKIP candidates end up running the police in your area !